NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Well, nothing in the New South is really built to last, so I'm not totally surprised, but it's still obnoxious. I can understand those cheapo '70s domes not standing the test of time, but I would think that by the late '90s, we would have figured out stadium construction and maintenance a little better. I mean, this place ain't Madison Square Garden; most of the year it just sits there not doing anything. How much could you have let it go to crap unless you were trying to?

...and on top of that the stadium is surrounded by a Gila River Arena parking lot that is also not doing anything. If a stadium was such a great investment,  all the owners would have paid for it themselves. A city is better off having a souless mall at the same location. 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Stadiums that are appx the same age as Nissan Stadium:

Carolina

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Detroit

Denver

Houston

New England

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Seattle

Tampa Bay

Washington

Aren't a few of them though getting upgrades?  I recall reading on here about Gilette getting a few upgrades, same with Seattle.  

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can understand those cheapo '70s domes not standing the test of time, but I would think that by the late '90s, we would have figured out stadium construction and maintenance a little better. I mean, this place ain't Madison Square Garden; most of the year it just sits there not doing anything. How much could you have let it go to crap unless you were trying to?

Especially after reading the originally linked article, I think that much of the impetus for a new Nashville NFL stadium, especially one with a roof, is coming from elements independent of the Tennessee Titans -- who, as late as last month, seemed to be content just to spend 300 million of their own dollars, and then try to extract at least 300 million more dollars from the Nashville / Davidson County metropolitan government, to make various fixes and upgrades to Nissan Stadium.  Specifically, I suspect that such entities as the Nashville Sports Council (a group that recruits annual and one-off sports events to Nashville and nearby areas), the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corporation, and the Country Music Association (whose annual activities include a springtime country music festival at Nissan Stadium) want such a stadium even more than Amy Adams Strunk and her lieutenants across the Titans organization do, if only to increase (if not maximize) Nashville's potential as an event destination.

This all reminds me of certain things that I think that I have read about the lead-up to the 2002-03 renovation of Soldier Field.  Apparently, certain figures within Chicago's political and/or business establishments wanted Soldier Field to be rebuilt as or replaced with a stadium with both a retractable roof and a much larger seating capacity, so that the Chicago area could get in the running for Super Bowls, NCAA Final Fours, and other events that the region could host only with an indoor venue with lots of seats.  However, also presumably, the McCaskey family insisted that Soldier Field be renovated in a way that maintained both a full-time outdoor configuration and a seating capacity that was and is intimately small by NFL standards, and the McCaskeys' modest wishes for Soldier Field's future prevailed ultimately.

9 hours ago, DEAD! said:

...and on top of that the stadium is surrounded by a Gila River Arena parking lot that is also not doing anything. If a stadium was such a great investment,  all the owners would have paid for it themselves. A city is better off having a souless mall at the same location. 

While Nissan Stadium is surrounded by what are indeed probably enough parking spaces for a shopping mall, I am not quite sure if an ordinarily configured mall would fit within the footprint of the stadium itself.  When I imagine a mall taking Nissan Stadium's place, all that comes to mind is something that would need to have many more floors than a typical mall in a suburban area and might have room for only one anchor tenant (be it a traditional department store, a cinema multiplex, or a Dave & Buster's or something similar to that) at the most.  Besides, if that area were being developed today as something other than a sports venue, a much more likely result would be a fashionably mixed-use urban development with offices, apartments, retail stores, and restaurants bunched closely together and at least most of the parking being concentrated in multi-level structures and/or underground garages.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

This all reminds me of certain things that I think that I have read about the lead-up to the 2002-03 renovation of Soldier Field.  Apparently, certain figures within Chicago's political and/or business establishments wanted Soldier Field to be rebuilt as or replaced with a stadium with both a retractable roof and a much larger seating capacity, so that the Chicago area could get in the running for Super Bowls, NCAA Final Fours, and other events that the region could host only with an indoor venue with lots of seats.  However, also presumably, the McCaskey family insisted that Soldier Field be renovated in a way that maintained both a full-time outdoor configuration and a seating capacity that was and is intimately small by NFL standards, and the McCaskeys' modest wishes for Soldier Field's future prevailed ultimately.

Reinsdorf didn't want a venue larger than the United Center, and he has more clout than the bumbling McCaskeys do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seeing all this stuff about how these stadiums from the 90s needing major upgrades/needing to be replaced entirely makes me grateful that we somehow managed to get our stadiums right the first time. Sure, the Royals want a downtown stadium, but polling indicated that it was about as popular as a blue rare steak is to members of PETA. 

Edited by Red Comet

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well, nothing in the New South is really built to last, so I'm not totally surprised, but it's still obnoxious. I can understand those cheapo '70s domes not standing the test of time, but I would think that by the late '90s, we would have figured out stadium construction and maintenance a little better. I mean, this place ain't Madison Square Garden; most of the year it just sits there not doing anything. How much could you have let it go to crap unless you were trying to?

Well it’s also exposed to the elements, it’s not like Madison square garden where 90% of it doesn’t have to deal with the effects of rain, cold, snow, corrosion, wind ect.

25 minutes ago, dont care said:

Well it’s also exposed to the elements, it’s not like Madison square garden where 90% of it doesn’t have to deal with the effects of rain, cold, snow, corrosion, wind etc.

Understood, but it reads as though they didn't use steel reinforcement in the structure, i.e., it was build strictly of concrete (or as strictly of concrete as is possible).

It's where I sit.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Reinsdorf didn't want a venue larger than the United Center, and he has more clout than the bumbling McCaskeys do.

If that is true, then Jerry Reinsdorf was to Chicago what Charles and James Dolan would prove to be to New York City a few years later.  Both the New York Jets and a committee that was lobbying to bring the 2012 Summer Olympic Games to NYC waged a campaign for the building of a retractable-roof stadium on Manhattan's West Side.  This stadium would have become the Jets' new home and would have also served as the main Olympic Stadium for the 2012 games.  However, the Dolans resented the prospect of the Big Apple having an indoor sports destination that was far larger than the family's Madison Square Garden, so they maneuvered successfully to quash that project, the Jets settled for partnering with the Giants on a second outdoor football stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands, the NYC 2012 Olympic bid committee rushed to devise a replacement plan of an outdoor Olympic Stadium in Flushing that would be turned into the Mets' next home ballpark after the games (just as Atlanta had made a ballpark for the Braves out of the 1996 Summer Olympics' flagship stadium), and, in the end, London beat out NYC and three other finalists for the Games of the XXX (30th) Olympiad.

20 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

This Rick Ohrnberger cat might want to consider finding some more reliable sources. Then again, are we sure he's not a parody account like Ballsack Sports and he's just making :censored: up to troll people?

Dude is real apparently. Had a career in the NFL and is now a sports talk show host in San Diego. Howard Costello was right about the jockocracy. Lesson learned to disregard anything this guy says if he got tricked into thinking someone impersonated a longtime source giving him bad info. 

Edited by Red Comet

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Seems like about the tidiest resolution possible to this. NFL avoids court, Flores avoids losing, Steelers add more coaching talent. 

But this doesn't mean his lawsuit goes away. It should and will continue. 

It's where I sit.