NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

3 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

So Sunny Nashville will get a dome, but the frozen arctic of Buffalo is fully open. 

Makes perfect sense.  

Not that this really factors into anything but having been to and though just about all of upstate New York dozens of times over the past dozen years or so... you really can't have the authentic western New York experience if you ain't out in the open like that...cold, snow, wind and all. Just wouldn't be the same with a ceiling over top. 

(Of course that's just my two rusted Lincolns on the matter...your copper may vary.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 minute ago, tBBP said:

Not that this really factors into anything but having been to and though just about all of upstate New York dozens of times over the past dozen years or so... you really can't have the authentic western New York experience if you ain't out in the open like that...cold, snow, wind and all. Just wouldn't be the same with a ceiling over top. 

(Of course that's just my two rusted Lincolns on the matter...your copper may vary.)

Yeah I get it. There's something beautiful about watching football in the snow. 

I was just laughing at the irony of it. 

• Like 2

I've long felt that Ralph Wilson Stadium on a clear fall day is one of the best-looking stadiums around. Can't quite describe it, but it looks really good. No such feelings about Nashville's stadium, but still, how many more mid-sized cities need convention centers that also host football teams?

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

So Sunny Nashville will get a dome, but the frozen arctic of Buffalo is fully open. 

Makes perfect sense.  

Makes sense considering Nashville is also planning on hosting the Final Four/Super Bowl and honestly has a lot more to do there than Buffalo. Even has a better hockey team than Buffalo too. 

• Dislike 2

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

The Browns have run out of money.

Don’t really know a lot about Cleveland aside from the dumpster fire of the Browns organization that’s been blazing longer than Centralia, but how good is Denzel Ward?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Don’t really know a lot about Cleveland aside from the dumpster fire of the Browns organization that’s been blazing longer than Centralia, but how good is Denzel Ward?

He’s a stud. Easy top 10 corner and arguably in the top 5. He probably deserves that contract but still, that’s a lot of money to tie up in 2 players for an organization that, at the end of the day, has still only won one playoff game in, like, forever. 

I understand that in the NFL you need to go all in, especially when you actually hit on high end talent in the draft and free agency, but man if this blows up in the Browns’ faces, it is going to be epic to watch. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that the salary cap doesn't actually exist.

Everyone’s rebuttal to this (and what I have to keep telling myself so that I don’t get too upset over the Ravens not seemingly manipulating the cap like everyone else) is that they’ll feel the effects eventually, that they’re just kicking the can further down the road, etc etc. If that’s the case I want to see some real ramifications in the future. I want to see the Rams having half their cap tied up in players that don’t play for them anymore, Bobby-Bonilla style. I want to see the Saints as bottom feeders because they gave huge contracts to guys for years and just kept kicking the can down the road. If that day never comes then yeah, the cap is just a suggestion, and if it ever gets to that point, the NFL should change things (and they will, because they seem to value parity over all else. Pretty sure it was Kevin Clark quoting someone else when he said that the NFL is designed to make you go 8-8 (back in the olden days of 16 game seasons) as much as possible). 

• Like 4

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake said:

Everyone’s rebuttal to this (and what I have to keep telling myself so that I don’t get too upset over the Ravens not seemingly manipulating the cap like everyone else) is that they’ll feel the effects eventually, that they’re just kicking the can further down the road, etc etc. If that’s the case I want to see some real ramifications in the future. I want to see the Rams having half their cap tied up in players that don’t play for them anymore, Bobby-Bonilla style. I want to see the Saints as bottom feeders because they gave huge contracts to guys for years and just kept kicking the can down the road. If that day never comes then yeah, the cap is just a suggestion, and if it ever gets to that point, the NFL should change things (and they will, because they seem to value parity over all else. Pretty sure it was Kevin Clark quoting someone else when he said that the NFL is designed to make you go 8-8 (back in the olden days of 16 game seasons) as much as possible). 

Have you heard of the term cap casualty? That's what's happening as teams release players to make sure that they stay underneath the salary cap. The money touted in every Schefter tweet that a player will be getting for a contract disregards the phony years on the back end to simply make the numbers look bigger.

It's not really that complicated. 

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Have you heard of the term cap casualty? That's what's happening as teams release players to make sure that they stay underneath the salary cap. The money touted in every Schefter tweet that a player will be getting for a contract disregards the phony years on the back end to simply make the numbers look bigger.

It's not really that complicated. 

Yea the only real number is the “guaranteed at signing” everything else can be manipulated or cut.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 5:19 PM, Red Comet said:

He's worth the money. When teams actively avoid him, you know you have a great CB. The problem is that he usually misses 3 to 4 games a year with injuries, but when he's out there the defense improves tremendously. 

15 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Everyone’s rebuttal to this (and what I have to keep telling myself so that I don’t get too upset over the Ravens not seemingly manipulating the cap like everyone else) is that they’ll feel the effects eventually, that they’re just kicking the can further down the road, etc etc

I think the Rams and Buccaneers are proof of this. Cleveland's going for that one championship right now move, and it's worked for the other two. But once Brady leaves Tampa permanently and the Rams won't take discounts for rings, they'll turn into the St. Louis Rams from the decade before they moved back to LA. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I feel like there should be real-life evidence of this, but I can't think of a team in recent history that has.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dont care said:

2020 patriots, once Tom Brady left they still had no money to sign anyone

Brady HISTORICALLY took less money to stay. The Patriots weren't in cap hell, they chose to not sign free agents as that doesn't typically lead to wins.

As @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers put it, I'd like to point to an instance, but (paraphrasing) I'm not sure there is one.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

54 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Brady HISTORICALLY took less money to stay. The Patriots weren't in cap hell, they chose to not sign free agents as that doesn't typically lead to wins.

As @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers put it, I'd like to point to an instance, but (paraphrasing) I'm not sure there is one.

In addition to losing Brady, they had no extra money because they used it on free agents to win their last three Super Bowls. Brady was the biggest piece to go, but even outside of that the rest of the team was a shell of what it was 2 years before that.

This...might be a problem. 

If the Bucs, Rams, and Browns (especially the Browns) aren't more handicapped than an elbow-less man in a wheelchair within the next 5-10 years, then the salary cap will become useless (if it isn't already), free agency will be more of a bidding war then before, and we'll see most GMs with half a brain (sorry, Bears & Lions) and owner's funding competing in an arms race to stack up talent to make superteams, much like what we've seen in the NBA over the past decade. If the NFL wants to keep it's "Any Given Sunday" parity, then it needs to do something...fast.