NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

27 minutes ago, FSUViking said:

I thought the second helmet/throwback rule goes into effect THIS season.....?? No?

Why is everyone (Tampa, Philly, Patriots) all saying "Coming in 2023..."

Because I believe teams are only allowed this season if they had the throwback already in their style guide.

Like the Eagles probably haven't had theirs, plus its a different throwback than the last time they wore kelly green.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, FSUViking said:

I thought the second helmet/throwback rule goes into effect THIS season.....?? No?

Just for clarity, Patriots are wearing throwbacks in 2022, as they were already in the style guide.

Eagles, Seahawks, Buccaneers are the only teams so far to say throwbacks in 2023

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Am I correct that prior to this season, there have been NO non-throwback alt helmets (excluding Rams' 2018-19 seasons)?

Yes they were completely disallowed. Some teams have done different things with face masks and/or used different decals like chrome (jets) in recent years, but not full shell changes for anything other than throwbacks

• Yawn 1

2 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Am I correct that prior to this season, there have been NO non-throwback alt helmets (excluding Rams' 2018-19 seasons)?

The Rams helmet wasn't an alt helmet. It was the same helmet just with different decals like other teams did with recent throwbacks.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

There were not. The Seahawks tried to have a silver road-only helmet with their 2002 rebrand, but the NFL said no.

2 hours ago, FSUViking said:

It does go into effect this year, but unless teams had a throwback in the style guide, they can’t wear the jerseys with the new helmets. Most teams removed their throwbacks because the one helmet rule made them unusable/historically inaccurate. The Patriots & Cowboys, either due to lazyness or forgetfulness, chose not to remove the throwbacks from the style guide, so either of them could swap their silver helmets for white throwback lids.

37 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Are we really not getting a Cardinal make over?? I feel like there would be some kind of news on that front by now.

Earlier in this thread a quote from the owner was tweeted saying something along the lines of “we are thinking about it. Not this year, but maybe next year”.

That concludes CCSLC FAQs for this week.

• LOL 2

2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

There were not. The Seahawks tried to have a silver road-only helmet with their 2002 rebrand, but the NFL said no.

It does go into effect this year, but unless teams had a throwback in the style guide, they can’t wear the jerseys with the new helmets. Most teams removed their throwbacks because the one helmet rule made them unusable/historically inaccurate. The Patriots & Cowboys, either due to lazyness or forgetfulness, chose not to remove the throwbacks from the style guide, so either of them could swap their silver helmets for white throwback lids.

Earlier in this thread a quote from the owner was tweeted saying something along the lines of “we are thinking about it. Not this year, but maybe next year”.

That concludes CCSLC FAQs for this week.

They kept them in the style guide because they still sold them with current players still.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If I'm remembering right,  they changed in '03 (when they first added black trim), again in '09 (the second black trim uniform), and in '17 with the current. That's a lot for the NFL.  Not as much as Jacksonville, I guess, but more than most. They should consider some continuity. 

Their most recent ones would be fine with a few minor tweaks like removing all traces of anthracite and the wordmarks on the sleeves.

6 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Incorrect.

Los Angeles Chargers To Debut Navy Blue Color Rush Uniform –  SportsLogos.Net News

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Incorrect.

Los Angeles Chargers To Debut Navy Blue Color Rush Uniform –  SportsLogos.Net News

That's just a decal swap, not an entirely different helmet/shell, which is what I believe he was referring to.

• Like 4

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

15 minutes ago, TornadoGTS said:

That's just a decal swap, not an entirely different helmet/shell, which is what I believe he was referring to.

So he was just stating the absolute obvious... 👍

6uXNWAo.png

6 hours ago, FSUViking said:

Others have already answered, but I'll chime in.  When they lifted the 1-helmet rule, the league opened a short window for teams to "declare" they would have a 2nd helmet for 2022.  HOWEVER, the deadline for declaring a new jersey for 2022 had already passed, so unless a team already had throwbacks in the style guide (and theoretically ready to go for both retail and on-field use) they'd have to hurry up and declare for 2023. 

Any excuses about fabric matching or supply chains is simply not accurate, because it was stated by factual sources (the league itself!) that 2023 would be the earliest for most throwback jerseys.  Some teams - possibly Patriots? - may have kept their throwbacks in their catalog just in case, so assuming they met the deadline to declare a 2nd helmet for 2022, they'd be able to do the throwbacks this year.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Others have already answered, but I'll chime in.  When they lifted the 1-helmet rule, the league opened a short window for teams to "declare" they would have a 2nd helmet for 2022.  HOWEVER, the deadline for declaring a new jersey for 2022 had already passed, so unless a team already had throwbacks in the style guide (and theoretically ready to go for both retail and on-field use) they'd have to hurry up and declare for 2023. 

Any excuses about fabric matching or supply chains is simply not accurate, because it was stated by factual sources (the league itself!) that 2023 would be the earliest for most throwback jerseys.  Some teams - possibly Patriots? - may have kept their throwbacks in their catalog just in case, so assuming they met the deadline to declare a 2nd helmet for 2022, they'd be able to do the throwbacks this year.

To add on, it sounds like having retail throwbacks ready for the season was a league or nike requirement. Getting throwback uniforms on the field would likely be doable as there are more than enough capable facilities that could produce on field uniforms and slap a swoosh on within the timeframe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BBTV said:

More BS.  We KNEW that 2023 would be the earliest for them.  They even said so themselves in the stories when the helmet rule was changed!  Now these teams want to blame "supply chain", and "green is too hard to make", and I'm just waiting before one of these teams finds a way to blame Obama for the delay.

I work in the apparel manufacturing industry.   Sourcing material is not only much more difficult right now, but also very expensive; cotton is way up, and polyester is even higher.   Labor and transportation costs are making things even worse.  And we're not going back.

[MOD EDIT: No politics.]

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 3
  • Meh 1

3 hours ago, Volt said:

I work in the apparel manufacturing industry.   Sourcing material is not only much more difficult right now, but also very expensive; cotton is way up, and polyester is even higher.   Labor and transportation costs are making things even worse.  And we're not going back.

You're missing the point.  The teams are making up fake reasons why they can't have the jerseys in 2022, when the real reason (regardless of any legitimate supply issues) is because the NFL said they couldn't because of the lead-time rule.

I"m not saying there's not legit issues - just that they're moot, because the league said on day one of the new helmet rule that they couldn't wear new jerseys in 2022 unless they were already planned two or more years ago.

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Volt said:

Edited by officeglenn

48 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

to be fair, the eagles green is so dark it wont be ALL that different

I think it will be pretty noticeable when they take the field in a black helmet. The Eagles have only worn green or white helmets as a main identity since the invention of the non leather helmet. It will be weird and stupid.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png