NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

I think at this point the Jets are too invested in their Jets Bold typeface to toss it aside wholesale--of course that's just speculation. I actually kinda like that typeface for what it is--but yeah, I think reviving an updated version of the more angular JETS mark would really help bring this brand all the way up. 

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Anyone else dislike the Panthers’ black helmets?  

I do not like at all.  Their silver helmet is just so much nicer.  Hard to even decipher the logo on the black helmet and the stripes don’t jive with the uniform stripes in any way.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Volt said:

I do not like at all.  Their silver helmet is just so much nicer.  Hard to even decipher the logo on the black helmet and the stripes don’t jive with the uniform stripes in any way.

Two good points there: It really is hard to see the logo for what it is on a black background with no keyline. While that might be "cool" or trendy to treat it the way they did (kind of in a Boise State/Western Michigan/other oversized logo treatments in one color kind of way), it just looks like some blue splashed on a black background. And then yes, the stripes don't work either because of the way they look on the uniforms: The shoulder stripes are silver-blue-silver, and the helmet, when viewed from the front, looks to have roughly the same width on the stripes, but it's blue-black (essentially, by merit of there being no stripe in the middle)-blue. So it doesn't fit.

I think, in theory, a black helmet could work for the Panthers, but it would have to follow the same design choices as their black jerseys.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Volt said:

I turned the game on for a few minutes and I honestly didn't even notice the black helmets for a few minutes - I'm not sure what - if anything - that says about them.  Maybe because deep down my brain is just tricked into thinking they should be wearing black helmets with the all-black uniform, so I notice the silver when they wear those, but not the black?  I probably would have noticed a lot more if they were wearing them with their normal pants, or the blue or white jersey.

They're better off with keeping their normal uniform, ditching the sleeve numbers (unless they're some kind of inside joke that we're not in on), and keeping the silver helmet.  But the black is harmless.  Unnecessary - like all non-throwback alt helmets are - but harmless.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, tBBP said:

I think at this point the Jets are too invested in their Jets Bold typeface to toss it aside wholesale--of course that's just speculation. I actually kinda like that typeface for what it is--but yeah, I think reviving an updated version of the more angular JETS mark would really help bring this brand all the way up. 

But that's the thing, this typeface ... 
spacer.png

... isn't THAT far off from what was used to make the '80s Jets logo in general style ...

spacer.png

... that it couldn't be adapted to look like it more directly. I don't have the graphic design skills, but the type is already angled. It would seem reasonable that you could just ditch the football, extend the "J" and replicate the jet flying above "ETS." 

• Like 10

The Panthers need a custom number font. The uniform has so many curved elements including striping on the pants, jersey and helmet. Plain old block numbers look silly. The all-black set makes it even more noticeable.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 4
  • Hate 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

But that's the thing, this typeface ... 
spacer.png

... isn't THAT far off from what was used to make the '80s Jets logo in general style ...

spacer.png

... that it couldn't be adapted to look like it more directly. I don't have the graphic design skills, but the type is already angled. It would seem reasonable that you could just ditch the football, extend the "J" and replicate the jet flying above "ETS." 

That's kinda what I meant. The difference in form is pretty noticeable from the top mark to the bottom--curvilinear versus rectilinear. I suppose one could massage both styles to an effective compromise (since to be real curvilinear probably has a bit more staying power and versatility), but given a choice I'd take an updated version of the bottom.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think the Panthers helmet would have looked better if it was a different finish.

You get the phenomenon of the black edge of the logo being distinct from the rest of the helmet because the decal has a different finish from the helmet shell.

atlanta-falcons-v-carolina-panthers.jpg

Every other blue element either touches white or silver, but the helmet is straight blue-on-black.  The logo being single-colored doesn't help either.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Every other blue element either touches white or silver, but the helmet is straight blue-on-black.  The logo being single-colored doesn't help either.

Technically the jersey collar is blue on black but I see what you mean.

It might be worth it to do a *shudders* blackout version with the silver elements switched to blue and the interior blue stripes switched to black, maybe even going with plain blue numbers.

Change everything that is white/silver to blue and everything blue to black.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

Yeah, the Jets have had the same basic font or close to it, I think, going back to the Namath days. The 1978-97 logo was italicized and had the jumbo jet silhouette, but it still looked like a highly stylized version of 1960s airline/airport ad font, which I think was the original inspiration. 

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

Why not both? I don't think the Jets Bold wordmark and the 80s airplane are incompatible with one another:  

F5EoZMU.jpg

• Like 25
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2

Just got a survey from the Broncos about a uniform redesign:

The Denver Broncos are embarking on a uniform exploration project and would like to hear from you.

Throughout this process, we will collect feedback from our fans and work within the framework of NFL uniform policies and guidelines throughout this one- to two-year exploration process should we decide to make changes.

We want to know what YOU think about our current uniforms and are making this survey only available to our Broncos Country fans. Please take a few minutes to participate in the survey below to better inform our decisions for the future.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Captain Poncho said:

The Denver Broncos are embarking on a uniform exploration project and would like to hear from you.

Throughout this process, we will collect feedback from our fans and work within the framework of NFL uniform policies and guidelines throughout this one- to two-year exploration process should we decide to make changes.

We want to know what YOU think about our current uniforms and are making this survey only available to our Broncos Country fans. Please take a few minutes to participate in the survey below to better inform our decisions for the future.

Got polls on social media too. New uniforms are coming, there’s not doubt about that now. Just have to wait and see what unfolds.

It’s a bit refreshing seeing the fans consulted on this. I know they were waiting to sell the team to start the process. Let’s just hope they take some fan input into account, and don’t pull a Rams/Commanders and overdesign everything.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

13 minutes ago, Captain Poncho said:

Can you post the survey questions? I'm really curious how they are framed, as in, are they trying to lead fans in a particular direction.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

32 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Can you post the survey questions? I'm really curious how they are framed, as in, are they trying to lead fans in a particular direction.

They posted one on twitter. Classic Throwback, along with Classic/Modern hybrid are neck and neck at 43% each, while Modern is way behind at 13%. Other is at 1% right now. I voted for Classic, as I really don't trust Nike.

• Like 6

da0Lbhs.png