NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

But that's the thing, this typeface ... 
spacer.png

... isn't THAT far off from what was used to make the '80s Jets logo in general style ...

spacer.png

... that it couldn't be adapted to look like it more directly. I don't have the graphic design skills, but the type is already angled. It would seem reasonable that you could just ditch the football, extend the "J" and replicate the jet flying above "ETS." 

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

That's kinda what I meant. The difference in form is pretty noticeable from the top mark to the bottom--curvilinear versus rectilinear. I suppose one could massage both styles to an effective compromise (since to be real curvilinear probably has a bit more staying power and versatility), but given a choice I'd take an updated version of the bottom.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

Why not both? I don't think the Jets Bold wordmark and the 80s airplane are incompatible with one another:  

F5EoZMU.jpg

Here's a look at just the logo too:

Jv79RKb.png

Honestly, I don't mind the Jets' current look, although it is severely undermined by their insistence on using black (it's hard to believe they haven't worn the green jersey or pants yet this year). There is something appealing about their former look, though, particularly with the sleeve design. I think the ideal direction for the Jets would be to combine the two in a classic-modern hybrid, maybe with an even brighter kelly green, similar to the old Color Rush jersey.

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

It might be worth it to do a *shudders* blackout version with the silver elements switched to blue and the interior blue stripes switched to black, maybe even going with plain blue numbers.

Change everything that is white/silver to blue and everything blue to black.

This would pretty much my ideal uniform for the Panthers, preferably with a custom number font matching their wordmark. I'd probably have the numbers remain white, though.

I didn't think the blackout looked bad last night, but it definitely could have been better. Either match the helmet to the jersey, with silver borders on the stripes and the regular logo, or vice versa and update the uniforms to match the black helmet, as @Carolingian Steamrollersuggested.

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

hey posted one on twitter. Classic Throwback, along with Classic/Modern hybrid are neck and neck at 43% each, while Modern is way behind at 13%. Other is at 1% right now. I voted for Classic, as I really don't trust Nike.

This is interesting and exciting news, much like the Texans. It's good to see that Classic and Classic-Modern Hybrid are clearly leading (I voted for Hybrid). I wonder how much those results will impact the actual design direction.

• Like 3

Already submitted the survey and can't view it again, but the jist was that they asked:

• Rank the uniform sets from the past to current in order of preference (1-4)

• Rank the current jerseys in order of preference (white, orange, navy, color rush)

• Rank past and current helmet design in order of preference (1-4)

• Preference on past/current logo and if the "D" should become primary, the horse head should remain primary, or if a new logo was needed

• Preference on jersey color as home primary (orange, navy or something else)

One of the questions was also about where survey-takers thought the Broncos ranked among the rest of the league, with three options:

1) Current unis are among the best of the league

2) Not the best, but there are others much worse

3) The rest of the league has passed the Broncos by

Then there was an open comments section at the end, where I was quite... lengthy in my response.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Captain Poncho said:

Already submitted the survey and can't view it again, but the jist was that they asked:

• Rank the current jerseys in order of preference (white, orange, navy, color rush)

• Preference on past/current logo and if the "D" should become primary, the horse head should remain primary, or if a new logo was needed

One of the questions was also about where survey-takers thought the Broncos ranked among the rest of the league, with three options:

Then there was an open comments section at the end, where I was quite... lengthy in my response.

Thanks for the insight. I'd guess they have some merger idea in mind.

16 minutes ago, Volt said:

FhTK1f8XgAA92NC?format=jpg&name=large

I don’t hate any of these (except for the Orange pants).

I don't think the size of the current logo lends itself to a helmet strip like the one presented here. This depiction of the helmet scales down the logo size (unless that was the intent -- and I doubt that).

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

36 minutes ago, Captain Poncho said:

Forgot to mention, they also asked how often uniforms should be changed and gave three options:

5 years, 10 years, 20 years

This is a weird question as the length is based on quality of design. 5 years for crap uniforms, 20 years for good uniforms. 

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What's funny is I think the Broncos uniforms, as intended, are a modern classic. Everything gels so well to me -- the horse logo is fantastic for a football helmet, it stands out well b/c it's white, and the orange from the feathers flows right into the orange stripes on the sides of the jerseys. Number font is unique, easily legible, and fits the motion of the logo. I even liked that they were not afraid to use two different pants for home and road to make each uniform functionally work for itself. 

IDK, maybe it helped with Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith running around in them, but in the mid 90s when teams were making radical changes, I thought the Broncos did the best at creating something completely different and uniform. 

Yes, it's time to retire the design, but to me it doesn't mean it's bad. I've always loved their look. 

Terrell Davis to soon take his place among NFL's greatest greats

• Like 16

I'll be in the minority and say that the Broncos classic "D" logo is bad and the current bronco is far superior for a couple of reasons:

1)  The current bronco has that "Flying Elvis" aspect to it where it just looks better on a football helmet.  Unlike the classic logo, the current logo is actually somewhat legible from the broadcast view on TV... plus, there's this effect that happens when the team lines up just before the snap and the helmets create this "stampede" effect that I think is really cool:

613642280.0.jpg

herd-of-wild-horses-running-in-water-tun

2) You avoid the Ravens problem the classic "D" logo presents when you have an illustration and a letter intertwined... either you need a secondary/subpar version of the logo to place on the other side of the helmet or you live with the bronco facing the "backwards." 

FhTLWwWVsAEaIc-?format=jpg&name=medium

I know the current trendy idea is to combine the two eras into  singular one logo, but every effort I've seen looks strange and off-putting and ultimately just waters-down the current logo and what it does well.  

• Like 15
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Captain Poncho said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a team doing so much fan research for a uniform design; that's a good sign they're listening to feedback and willing to say no to anything overly gimmicky for the sake of adhering to fan preference and history. If only other teams would follow this example, we'd have a lot fewer dumpster fire uniforms in the league.

• Like 8

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

43 minutes ago, GFB said:

FhTLWwWVsAEaIc-?format=jpg&name=medium

I know the current trendy idea is to combine the two eras into  singular one logo, but every effort I've seen looks strange and off-putting and ultimately just waters-down the current logo and what it does well.  

For the record, this was a large part of my input to them. The "D" logo is cool, but functionally not readable nor useful as applied to a helmet. Besides, the horse head logo is associated with all of the team's Super Bowl success. Easy answer is to have throwbacks to the 80's uniforms as alternates, and update the current unis to rid themselves of the side panels.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1

I guess, maybe the Broncos uniforms have run their course, but that’s not to say they are not or never were good/great uniforms. I think time has eroded the uniforms through cut and template changes. I think the blue jersey is superior to the orange jersey as a primary home look. I do think whatever direction they decide to go in, they need to build upon the current uniforms and logos. They won in them and the logo is great. The number font is unique and legible. the contrast is between navy and orange is better than royal/orange IMO. The uniforms were game changing, for lack of a better phrase,  and I think going backwards to a traditional striped uniform as the primary look would be the wrong move. Keep it modern and simple and wear the orange crush uniforms as a throwback. Have your cake and eat it too.

• Like 4

Someone posted pictures of how the survey looked like, and the uniform options that had to be ranked are seen too. 

Looking closely at the images, they just used @CC97's art from the mothership, which I find funny.

spacer.png

Also, on the helmet one, I can't tell if those are official NFL renders or not. I know they're not from the mothership. I feel like they are official renders, but the shade of white for the "D" helmet is off compared to other official helmet art. spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

da0Lbhs.png

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Obviously not a wearable helmet, but this is neat

That's neat.  I wondered if/when 3d-style logos would make it to NFL helmets like they have with MLB batting helmets.  It's probably not practical since they'd get knocked off and would be tough to clean, but it's still neat to think about 3d wings or horns.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, GFB said:

Why not both? I don't think the Jets Bold wordmark and the 80s airplane are incompatible with one another:  

F5EoZMU.jpg

Somebody send this to Jets headquarters ASAP. Put a white facemask on the helmet it's even better.

• Like 9

Hotter Than July > Thriller

33 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Somebody send this to Jets headquarters ASAP. Put a white facemask on the helmet it's even better.

Dare I say it meshes with the uniform striping BETTER this way? Sign me up.

Spoiler

Jv79RKb.png
F5EoZMU.jpg

• Like 5

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

18 hours ago, BBTV said:

That's neat.  I wondered if/when 3d-style logos would make it to NFL helmets like they have with MLB batting helmets.  It's probably not practical since they'd get knocked off and would be tough to clean, but it's still neat to think about 3d wings or horns.

Wouldn't be practical every week, but maybe Super Bowl only?

Onto the Broncos survey, I gotta wonder what the point of including the gold/brown was, I'm fairly certain nobody wants to go away from orange/blue.  I'd be interested in something like the mid 60s jerseys, but then I'm not who they're aiming at.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬