2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:
Unless we’re talking about a minor change, this would feel completely unnecessary.

They could prove me wrong but I’ve yet to see an idea that improves upon their classic design.

I've said it before, but I think the Medicine Hat Tigers have a better Flyers jersey than the Flyers.

RJF_5086-1024x683.jpg

The Tigers dark jerseys are black (hence the colour position change here in the white jersey) with orange sleeves and white cuffs.

• Dislike 1

IbjBaeE.png

17 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

18 hours ago, elliott said:

It would appear that the vertical side panels are even worse than they initially looked….spacer.png

Oh my, they already should retired it. Like I said before it's a etch a sketch sweaters.

• Like 3

4r2eer.png

15 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I've said it before, but I think the Medicine Hat Tigers have a better Flyers jersey than the Flyers.

RJF_5086-1024x683.jpg

The Tigers dark jerseys are black (hence the colour position change here in the white jersey) with orange sleeves and white cuffs.

sorry. But that’s a much worse version. It’s honestly a mess to look at. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The only thing the Flyers need to do is ditch the contrasting nameplates.

And change the C/A back to black outlined in white (instead of the current white outlined in black). When you see Lindros and LeClair photos from the 90s, the black letters just look better (though apparently the font changed a bit along the way, as the A's below aren't quite the same). 

Eric Lindros - IMDbPhiladelphia Flyers Flashback: LW John LeClair from the Legion of Doom

Sometimes It amazes me at how bright arena lighting is, because the orange was never as vibrant in real life as shown below...but the vibrancy here just looks great and adds to the legend of this set, IMO:

248 Maple Leafs Eric Lindros Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty  Images

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This really is simultaneously trying too hard and not trying hard enough. Just a mess of ideas shoved together.

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/1615393751576510464?s=19

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Hurl 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

This really is simultaneously trying too hard and not trying hard enough. Just a mess of ideas shoved together.

How embarrassing. 

• Like 4

On 1/16/2023 at 5:19 PM, IceCap said:

This shows another problem with the Coyotes' identity though. What's their main colour? The Rangers are a blue team. The Kings are a black team. The Coyotes are....????

Always in the red 😛

--

In a way I prefer this colour for the Coyotes and I can appreciate the use of a Kachina design like their primary set, but its use here isn't well thought out. The wordmark looks like it was made for something else and the slightly jagged (rocky?) design isn't helping. The cactus 'A' patch is cute I guess.

• LOL 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

With how much revenue COULD be generated from merch sales, I still remind shocked at how few teams test conceptual designs with fan engagement.

Anyone who has worked in design know how often bad designs come from meddling clients who have no real conception about art.  

• Like 1

shame that the flyers are going with a brand new design, would've love to see them go back to a 90s or reverse retro 1.0 look. 

I think this was a very strong design with better color distribution that emphasized black over white, which i think gives them way more of a punch than the white. just overall more striking and matches the logo. 

spacer.png

at the very least go back to the old orange and get rid of the contrasting nameplate. I like the new orange in a vacuum, but the old shade just seems to fit philly as a city better. mean and hard nosed

• Like 6

Why do I feel like we're all gonna be hugely disappointed by Philly? I feel like they're gonna try way too hard and end up missing the mark by a mile when they only had to fix the shade of orange, drop the stupid contrasting nameplates, hollow captain letters and revert back to solid black gloves to have a 10/10 uniform

• Like 3

6 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

shame that the flyers are going with a brand new design, would've love to see them go back to a 90s or reverse retro 1.0 look. 

I think this was a very strong design with better color distribution that emphasized black over white, which i think gives them way more of a punch than the white. just overall more striking and matches the logo. 

spacer.png

at the very least go back to the old orange and get rid of the contrasting nameplate. I like the new orange in a vacuum, but the old shade just seems to fit philly as a city better. mean and hard nosed

Yeah I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I think this might be the best in look Flyers history.

I don't know what you mean by "mean and hard nosed" though, as its pretty hard for me to associate that to orange as a whole.

• Like 4

On 1/16/2023 at 9:32 AM, _RH_ said:

I guess the two-color scheme isn't terrible but IMO inferior to the green/orange.  Interesting that after the revival of the popular Kachina logo theyd go with text - anything to make a buck, I suppose.  IMO worst downgrade is the hem pattern- the original is just worlds better than this.

Stick the old howling coyote logo on there (or anything other than a wordmark) and it's not that bad. It's still mediocre but at least better.

EDIT: NVM. Just saw the side panels. Those are terrible.

It's really starting to get to the point where I have almost no faith in anyone when it comes to designing a good alternate jersey. It's so bad that honestly, many of these teams (Philly, Arizona, Toronto, Dallas, Washington, Tampa, Carolina) would have been better off using one of their reverse retro jerseys instead of their actual third as an alternate. Some of these reverse retros like Philly, Washington, Carolina and TB were in my opinion even better than their main home jersey. 

• Like 1

I agree that the Flyers have a classic brand, and I think that's why it's gonna be so difficult for some people to accept whatever changes may come. Despite its "classic" status though, I've never particularly liked the Flyers' jerseys. The uninterrupted white-orange transition on the home sweater looks really jarring to me, and I don't like any jersey design where the yoke continues down the sleeve (especially this one). So much about it looks awkward, dated, and calling for a change, but I really don't trust the team to make those changes successfully. 

All in all, I think that the team needs new uniforms now just as much as they have for the last few decades. Whatever way they take it, just make it an improvement. I don't want a bad set with some history to be replaced by a bad set that was introduced out of the blue.