2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think that’s what I’m getting the biggest kick out of. They’ve got to be aware of how obvious thier mea culpa was, right?

In a way it almost feels like a really weird victory in that better branding, while still not being the primary, prevailed anyways by being pushed more than the rebrand itself. It’s no doubt embarrassing, and the black/yellow isn’t going away, but from a purple fan’s standpoint I’m kind of enjoying that and feel like purple had the last laugh here.

Yes. It's embarrassing and hilarious, but better than doubling down on black + yellow!

Replace the black with purple and it's not that bad.  Pretend the black is purple like I did with the Navy?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Adding on to this, purple seems to be broadly popular.

During the double blue era, the 80's green and purple throwbacks were *very* popular. Easily contributed to the revival of the J-Note.

We're now 10 years+ down the road and playing to a different nostalgia base. So the purple is interpreted through the 90's lens now.

In 10 years will Jazz fans be clamoring for baby blue throwbacks? Certainly if we can't get the brand nailed down.

The solution seems so patently obvious (just combine the J-Note with the 90's colors, maybe tweak the sky blue to line up with the 00's) that I'm honestly surprised it's been veered around so much at this point.

I'd say drop the copper (and probably leave out the green) and include the yellow.  Maybe with the baby blue every era is tied together.

38 minutes ago, JuicedSportsNow said:

Jazz rebrand already being trashed in their own newspaper haha

Andy Larsen: The Utah Jazz’s new jerseys are awful — and clearly, the team knows that

From the article: "At first, Smith wanted the team to rebrand to simply black and white, but the league office and Nike refused that, seeing as the San Antonio Spurs and Brooklyn Nets already own that color scheme. Their compromise was this: the Jazz could go to black and white if they added a third primary color. So instead of choosing any one of the colors the team had already worn, he picked a new one: a unique highlighter yellow."

Jazz didn't even want yellow. But they had to pick something. Did they go to the 2014 Nike Store when they did it?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Replace the black with purple and it's not that bad. 

um...Lakers?  

Jazz didn't want yellow.  But THEY ALREADY HAD GOLD!!!   At least that would have some connection to history and black would be the only new color.  Yeesh. 

If they contacted some STH's in the concept stages of this, it would have been shot down immediately.   I wish teams would get the fans involved instead of "we want this, like it or not".

• Like 4

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

1 hour ago, Berlin Wall said:

I'm stunned that there isn't more talk about this uniform. The base of it is insanely good. They should just switch the black with sky blue or teal and they would have their perfect uniform for forever.

Totally agree. They would have a top 10 look with a full set like this one

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Yes. It's embarrassing and hilarious, but better than doubling down on black + yellow!

Replace the black with purple and it's not that bad.  Pretend the black is purple like I did with the Navy?

The colors aren't the only sh***y part of this look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berlin Wall said:

I'm stunned that there isn't more talk about this uniform. The base of it is insanely good. They should just switch the black with sky blue or teal and they would have their perfect uniform for forever.

Are we sure that's black and not a darker purple or navy? The lighting is pretty dark. Makes it hard to distinctly tell.

• Like 1

What happened to the “ice blue color”?Didn’t the AllStar logo for Utah use a very dark green that was almost black, kinda like Oregon’s nightmare green? I think pairing that with the purple gradient/yellow and/or the ice blue could be a very Utah Jazzy color scheme that kinda ties all their eras/color schemes together. I think it works in my head anyway.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

Pretty much what a lot of us already suspected.

Smith has no connection to the fans or clue what they like. He's all about the fact of "hey, look at me. I own a team, aren't I cool" 

Pretty obvious but a good summary. Good reminder that it's about damage mitigation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sharplcd said:

spacer.png

If only the whole rebrand was centered around this! 

I REALLY want to see some people's mock ups  based off this jersey. Tweak the colors slightly. Make a white version, a black version and this would be a perfect set.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, DJT said:

I REALLY want to see some people's mock ups  based off this jersey. Tweak the colors slightly. Make a white version, a black version and this would be a perfect set.

A black, purple, and white set would have strong Sacramento Kings vibes, IMO. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I’ve long thought the NBA desperately needs a black and yellow team, but not like this. These are awful. They’re not quite practice jersey but more a mixture of practice and summer league jerseys. 

One of the more tone deaf rebrands I’ve ever seen in the NBA. 

• Like 8

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC