2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

This play is the thing I'll always remember about JJ Watt. That Bengals team making the playoffs at all was an unexpected miracle, but I knew they weren't coming back from this. Ended up losing 31-10. The first of 5 straight years of losing on Wildcard Weekend. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Also, JJ Watt chose the wrong team post-Houston and should have gone elsewhere. I forget which teams he was considering, but Arizona seemed like the obviously wrong choice at the time if he was looking to win.

Watt's other options were Green Bay and Buffalo.

Oops. 🤷‍♂️

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Watt's other options were Green Bay and Buffalo.

Oops. 🤷‍♂️

That's right...I thought Buffalo was in the mix. 

I really just can't see spending all that time in Houston, and then deciding to throw your lot in with Kyler Murray.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, Indigo said:

Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to NFL history, but has there ever been a bigger fluke than Nick Foles? 
And I’m not talking about a guy with one great year and then he disappears. I’m asking about a guy who has had major success with one team, then got multiple(!) chances elsewhere to replicate that and fails miserably.

There was a linebacker, also an Eagle, who seemed to suck whenever he played for anybody else, I wanna say it was Jeremiah Trotter but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

27 minutes ago, Discrim said:

There was a linebacker, also an Eagle, who seemed to suck whenever he played for anybody else, I wanna say it was Jeremiah Trotter but I could be wrong.

Trotter was a pro-bowler then left for a season in Washington in which he was hurt, then came back and was a pro-bowler again.  So maybe him?  He also retired, then came out of retirement for half a season and was really good again.

Probably the last really good Eagles linebacker since they (wrongly, IMO) decided that the position doesn't matter anymore.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jamarcus Russell is among the greatest busts in NFL history because of his contract and his poor play.

Zach Wilson has been benched indefinitely, not because of injury, but because of poor play AND his teammates hate his guts.

Are there any other recent draft comps for a guy who's both terrible and disliked like Zach Wilson?  2021 wasn't a great QB draft year (at least not yet), but clearly Mac Jones or Justin Fields would have been better choices. And the Jets probably could have traded down to get one of those guys.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Jamarcus Russell is among the greatest busts in NFL history because of his contract and his poor play.

Zach Wilson has been benched indefinitely, not because of injury, but because of poor play AND his teammates hate his guts.

Are there any other recent draft comps for a guy who's both terrible and disliked like Zach Wilson?  2021 wasn't a great QB draft year (at least not yet), but clearly Mac Jones or Justin Fields would have been better choices. And the Jets probably could have traded down to get one of those guys.

Mac Jones being a better choice than Zach Wilson is like choosing to get hit by a car over getting hit by a bus. Either choice is going to end badly. It's just a matter of degree.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I'll clear a spot for him on my Mount Rushmore of Great NFL QBs from Alabama. There's plenty of room.

😄

I'm glad I ain't the only one who sees that! I mean, they got Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, if things hold to present form one might can put Jalen Hurts up there one day...beyond that, who they got?? 

It actually befuddles me that such a football dynasty hasn't produced more dynastic quarterbacks over all that time...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 minutes ago, tBBP said:

'm glad I ain't the only one who sees that! I mean, they got Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, if things hold to present form one might can put Jalen Hurts up there one day...beyond that, who they got??

Assuming he is still playing in 5 years, Tua has demonstrated he's a winner.

I looked up Bama QBs -- Bart Starr went there as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

😄

I'm glad I ain't the only one who sees that! I mean, they got Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, if things hold to present form one might can put Jalen Hurts up there one day...beyond that, who they got?? 

It actually befuddles me that such a football dynasty hasn't produced more dynastic quarterbacks over all that time...

If Jalen Hurts keeps playing like he is this season, he'll get there. Maybe Tua at some point, but I have a feeling all these concussions are going to cut his career short. I like watching the kid play, but I'd much rather see him shut it down for good than risk any further neurological damage. Lots of people are talking up Bryce Young and if he played anywhere else, I'd buy in, but he's an Alabama QB so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

It is odd that Alabama has put so many players in the NFL over the the years yet only a few of their QBs ever went on to do anything. It's like for every Ken Stabler or Joe Namath, there are 15 Richard Todds.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, for a college of Alabama’s stature, it’s weird how many more of their quarterbacks are more like Brodie Croyle than a Joe Namath or Ken Stabler. Coincidentally, Namath and Stabler are the only two QBs in Canton who had more career INTs than TDs. Sure was a different era.

• Like 2

This same point of discussion is true for another long-time dynastic factory, as well: Ohio State. I'm not saying the kid is a world-beater at this stage, but simply by staying out there an competing at something above a mediocre level, Justin Fields is contributing to changing that narrative somewhat. Besides him I really can't think of a single other Ohio State QB who actually made it as a good or even half-decent starter in the NFL (unless you count Kent Graham, for the time he lumbered around). That said, of the top of my head I think the only other Buckeye QB that had any kind of lasting NFL career was Tom Tupa (!). 

But lest one think I'm crapping on tOSU (which I'm not), this same tangent of convo is also true for Oklahoma--say what you will about Baker Mayfield, but at least he's still at least relevant in the league and for a while there he was a pretty decent starter. Apart from Sam Bradford, for what time he somehow managed to stick around--who else has OU produced at the position that went on to do anything in the NFL?

Shoot I'd have to check this at some point to be sure, but right off the top of my head I think Washington might well have been Quarterback U--just off the top of my head, Warren Moon, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell, and Chris Chandler (now I'm showing my age, lol) all passed through there. 

This might actually be a fun one for the trivia thread if it's still around--what college program has produced the most starting NFL QBs? (I'll throw an early guess at Florida State being one of them, somehow, but I don't know if they've produced the most.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 12/26/2022 at 3:12 PM, the admiral said:

When your players play hard for you, the floor is higher than when they don't, and he's always been good at using the people he has rather than trying to force a system. Add in ol' grey-dick at quarterback for all those years and it's a guaranteed 7 wins per season. 

People are getting weird about Aaron Rodgers too and trying to say he was never that good anyway. I guess it was those fearsome, tenacious defenses that the Packers are so legendary for that had them winning the division like every year.

Real people? Like who? 

It's where I sit.

37 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Gonna umm akshully you here and mention there's a lot of pre-Super Bowl era guys who share that distinction

Fair. Should’ve said Super Bowl era QBs but my overall point that a QB who throws more picks than TDs now would be far more likely to end up in the unemployment line than the Hall of Fame still stands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I really can't think of a single other Ohio State QB who actually made it as a good or even half-decent starter in the NFL

The best (best being relative) NFL career by an Ohio State QB so far belongs to...drum roll...Mike Tomczak. I'd love to say that Justin Fields will hold that title some day, but right now he's basically just Bobby Douglas* 2.0.

Art Schlichter might have had a good career, but he was more interested in :censored:-ing up his life than he was in playing football.

*For those of you too young to know who Bobby Douglas is (considering how long ago he played, that's probably everyone but me, @oldschoolvikings, @leopard88, and @Ferdinand Cesarano) he was a running QB for the Bears back when I was 9 or 10 years old. If memory serves, he held the single season rushing record for QBs for a while. I want to say he came damned close to 1000 yards in a 14 game season.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg