MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 minute ago, MNtwins3 said:

Interesting note: the Mariners implied they had to get rid of their powder blue spring training jersey because of Nike's new "4+1" rule, as they were not in compliance with the rule with the grey jersey and the powder blue. But the White Sox are still repping their "retro logo-current colors" spring training jersey, which brings them to 5+1. God none of this makes any sense

Cardinals, too. They're still wearing their red jerseys (which they've never worn in a regular season game, only BP), but have 4 other uniforms: White, Gray, Cream and Powder Blues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kg54mvp said:

spacer.png
spacer.png

I’m still a little torn on which I like better. I’m more of a fan of the Navy wordmark. Could do without the gold, but it’s barely noticeable. 

The red feels a bit classic as they have had a red wordmark from the 70’s to 2014.

either way, I think both look good. Twins did a nice job.

Although it was hard to pick out the gold from a distance, I think in a sense it was still “noticeable” in that it really muddied up the wordmark (and stripes) a ton. 

Ever since the last uniform was unveiled, I kept trying to convince myself to like the gold, but I never could. It was an ambitious move to try to distance from the other navy & red teams, but I don’t think it quite stuck the landing.

On the contrary, this new uniform immediately strikes me as gorgeous. The larger stripes, updated logos, & single-layer wordmark & numbers (which also accomplishes the goal of uniqueness among the sea of red & navy) are all improvements in my mind. I mean, take a look at this:

n9eP10Y.jpg

Beautiful.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

I honestly think Spring Training jerseys probably don't count and someone with the Mariners just got mixed up with why they were dropping the light blue. Because as far as I know, they never wore it in a regular season game, so I can't see why it would count in the 4+1. Maybe they were just switching to the teal for ST/BP and the PR person just didn't fully understand what all was going on.🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I'd guess Nike isn't offering to produce new ST/BP jerseys, but any team wanting to use what they have is welcome to.  Still seems odd considering the trend lately has been to produce every possible additional piece of on-field merchandise to get fans to purchase. I'm sure ST/BP jerseys weren't a super popular seller, but, like the caps, it's just one extra option to sell to fans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Still haven't gotten used to the new Twins look yet.  Without the outline, it looks like a throwback soda brand or something, trying to evoke the past but in an overly done way that never truly existed.

Couldn't you say the same for every retro-style ballpark in existence? 

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Still haven't gotten used to the new Twins look yet.  Without the outline, it looks like a throwback soda brand or something, trying to evoke the past but in an overly done way that never truly existed.

I wasn't sure what to think when they were first unveiled, but I've really come around to loving this Twins set.

But if I had to quibble, I'm also not entirely sure about the single-layer wordmark.  I don't get a throwback vibe from it as much as I get a small-town beer league softball vibe. 

It's really only an issue with the home jersey, with the single-layer red cursive script. The non-cursive navy wordmarks on the road, and the longer navy cursive "Twin Cities" on the alternates look fine to me. But the red "Twins" script makes me think of this for some reason:

spacer.png

23 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Interesting note: the Mariners implied they had to get rid of their powder blue spring training jersey because of Nike's new "4+1" rule, as they were not in compliance with the rule with the grey jersey and the powder blue. But the White Sox are still repping their "retro logo-current colors" spring training jersey, which brings them to 5+1. God none of this makes any sense

Spring training doesn’t count towards the number, and won’t be used during the season… that is until a team like the Astros or white sox does with no repercussions 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Spring training doesn’t count towards the number, and won’t be used during the season… that is until a team like the Astros or white sox does with no repercussions 

phillies were told “no green st Patrick’s jerseys” due to the “rule”.  So they lost that one as well as their red alt (not that I care about either). 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

48 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

So if the issue is Nike can’t produce enough uniforms, why can’t a team like the Phillies still wear their red uniforms once the regular season starts? They clearly still exist and are already in the rotation anyway

They don't wear one jersey throughout the season.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:56 AM, MJD7 said:

Although it was hard to pick out the gold from a distance, I think in a sense it was still “noticeable” in that it really muddied up the wordmark (and stripes) a ton. 

Ever since the last uniform was unveiled, I kept trying to convince myself to like the gold, but I never could. It was an ambitious move to try to distance from the other navy & red teams, but I don’t think it quite stuck the landing.

On the contrary, this new uniform immediately strikes me as gorgeous. The larger stripes, updated logos, & single-layer wordmark & numbers (which also accomplishes the goal of uniqueness among the sea of red & navy) are all improvements in my mind. I mean, take a look at this:

n9eP10Y.jpg

Beautiful.

No, the gold was  what made them unique. No other team had that shade of gold.

this is just another navy, red, white team. No outline on the front wordmark, and sleeve stripes are just ripped from the Rangers.

Twin cities? Just the Royals home jersey with navy instead of royal blue.

terribly boring uniforms the twins have now.

Single layer, one color script, on all of them!

spacer.png

• WOAH 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Dislike 8
  • Facepalm 3

Watching the Red Sox wear their standard home uniform and it looks so stupid to see most of the fielding players wearing the as patch on the left sleeve and the pitcher wearing it on his right sleeve, just so it stays in the picture as much as possible during the game. 

MassMutual will be the first sponsor to have its logo on Red Sox uniforms -  The Boston Globe

Red Sox Mass Mutual Collaboration – NBC Boston

• Like 1
  • Hurl 8
  • Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, adsarebad said:

No, the gold was  what made them unique. No other team had that shade of gold.

this is just another navy, red, white team.

No outline on the front wordmark, and sleeve stripes are just ripped from the Rangers.

Twin cities? Just the Royals home jersey with navy instead of royal blue.

1. The gold was ugly and created two separate identities for home and away. I'm glad it's gone
  2. Those have been our colors since 1928 when we were in Washington. We aren't changing them, get over it
  3. The lack of outline makes them stand out from other R/W/N teams. And I didn't know the Rangers had a trademark on a striping pattern
  4. I didn't know the Royals had a trademark on scripts on a baseball jersey, and their jerseys are literally a rip-off of the Dodgers. Ours is at least unique in having the underline detached from the script.
  • Like 3

Sorry, I'm on an iPad