MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

9 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Hasn't stopped the Angels with their red on red on red jerseys.

Fully trim them in the other colors (instead of this awful partial double drop-shadow thing they're doing) and they become much easier to read.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbit said:

That huge white outline looks wretched on the red uniform. The cream uniform with the headspoon looks far nicer and doesn't need a massive outline for the birds and bat, though as a home alt I wish it had the Cardinals Script instead of St Louis.

I dislike both Cardinals alts with the headspoon, for the sole reason that there's no need for any additional decoration on a jersey that features the ionic birds-on-bat logo.  It's already fancy enough - doesn't need any superfluous trim to enhance it.

But the red jerseys - the Cardinals, Phillies, and Angels, all suck.  Not simply because the lettering is red-on-red, but if there needs to be two outlines on any jersey, it usually stinks.  I can't think of a situation in which a jersey script with two outlines looks better than one with only one.  

I wish the Phillies would drop their white outline altogether, but at least they've significantly reduced its weight in the past few years (at the expense of adding a gray outline to the road script, but at least that's not visible in most cases... though when it is, it sucks.)  They should definitely not have a royal outline on the red script.  Looks terrible.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The red stripe at the base of the hat is a really neat element. Wouldn't want to see it on most teams but its creative and works here.

also are city connects just the baseball BFBS?

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

The red stripe at the base of the hat is a really neat element. Wouldn't want to see it on most teams but its creative and works here.

also are city connects just the baseball BFBS?

The teams with the black jerseys so far are Reds and White Sox, the leaked Orioles CC jersey was black. The Pirates might also go with a black Jersey. So far, thats 3 teams with a black jersey, and 2 of those teams have had black alternates and the other has used it as an accent colour for many years (though there are no shortage of people who want the Reds to dump the black or at least get it off the home and road uniforms), and another team who may release a black jersey.

For the teams that used black as an accent colour on their CC, Seattle used black as a nod to the Steelheads for their uniform while the colour has been the one constant in the Arizona colour palette since the team was founded.

Out of all of the teams that have used black so far for the CC, the most BFBS is probably Cincy, as they used a f***ton of it and it just seems like it's BFBS.

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

I dislike both Cardinals alts with the headspoon, for the sole reason that there's no need for any additional decoration on a jersey that features the ionic birds-on-bat logo.  It's already fancy enough - doesn't need any superfluous trim to enhance it.

But the red jerseys - the Cardinals, Phillies, and Angels, all suck.  Not simply because the lettering is red-on-red, but if there needs to be two outlines on any jersey, it usually stinks.  I can't think of a situation in which a jersey script with two outlines looks better than one with only one.  

I wish the Phillies would drop their white outline altogether, but at least they've significantly reduced its weight in the past few years (at the expense of adding a gray outline to the road script, but at least that's not visible in most cases... though when it is, it sucks.)  They should definitely not have a royal outline on the red script.  Looks terrible.

Look, ma! It's opposite me! 🤣 Pardon me whilst I go flog my dead horse for a bit.

22 hours ago, M59 said:

The Cards used to do a one-day special red jersey for "Cardinals Care" day. While it lacked a front number, the white trim on the front logo was thinner. The one I had also featured headspoon and sleeve piping. It was a front number away from glorious

This jersey was in the Ken Griffey Jr. games on Nintendo 64 and is why  always thought the Cardinals had a red alternate as a kid.

dsc_0983_31.jpg

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

That was their BP jersey that they added with the 1998 update (along with the new primary logo and Sunday caps). They mentioned that they may use them in actual games, but that one-time game in 1999 where they auctioned them off afterwards was the only time they ever did wear them.

That's a really rare example of where I do like the headspoon piping on a Cardinals jersey.  I think because it's navy, it just kinda falls into the background without competing with the BiB and wordmark, and it makes it look like something more than a BP jersey.

Still anti-red jersey for them, but that would be the way to do it.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/13/2023 at 5:42 PM, the admiral said:

It's a St. Louis that doesn't make bloggers mad

This might be the truest statement ever muttered on these boards. I've lived in STL my entire life and it always confuses me how much people from other areas hate everything about the city. Trust me, there are aspects of this town that are a complete and utter mess. But traveling to other midwest cities like Indy, Memphis, KC, Cincy... i don't see much of a difference. I feel like I'm in the same town, with the same small pockets of high crime, same cool bar areas, etc. But, you bring up provel cheese or pork steaks to an outsider and they immediate go on a rant about how terrible it is 🤣

• Like 1

As the City Connect program keeps going it seems like we're straying further and further from the assignment.  Now we're going with faux-TATC?  The Reds would have been better off if they just put Cincy on a jersey in the Skyline Chili font.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

On 5/8/2023 at 5:43 PM, NightmareinParis said:

Orioles jersey has supposedly leaked...

spacer.png

I had to revisit this botched jersey...call my thought crazy, but...were they aiming to incorporate the same, if not a similar font to this beloved Maryland essential???

Old Bay on Everything: How the Crab Seasoning is Taking Over

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This might be the truest statement ever muttered on these boards. I've lived in STL my entire life and it always confuses me how much people from other areas hate everything about the city. Trust me, there are aspects of this town that are a complete and utter mess. But traveling to other midwest cities like Indy, Memphis, KC, Cincy... i don't see much of a difference. I feel like I'm in the same town, with the same small pockets of high crime, same cool bar areas, etc. But, you bring up provel cheese or pork steaks to an outsider and they immediate go on a rant about how terrible it is 🤣

You know what it is: the Best Fans In Baseball and their perceived political inclinations.

I'll be honest, St. Louis is not my favorite town, I like Milwaukee much more as far as mid-sized German Catholic towns go, but the pork steak is highly underrated. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, tBBP said:

I'll wait to see what our two resident Cincinnatians have to say about this before I throw my little two rusted Lincolns in the mix...

Is that me? 

I'm getting worn down with the deluge, onslaught, and torrent of alternate uniforms we're being asked to keep up with throughout sports so where I once could've been arsed to give a passionate honk one way or the other about this, now I cannot muster up a care. I mean, they'll be worn a few times out of 162? And then they'll get replaced by the next shiny new uniform program the league adopts. I have a hard time getting fired up when I know it's not going to stick around long either way. 

As far as actual looks go, they look cool, I guess? Dark pants will never not look like those guys who take slow pitch softball too seriously, but I realize I'm losing this fight and one day color pants will be an every day look for most of the teams. Just like with what happened in the NFL. I have decided to just stop worrying about that and accept it. I'll probably buy the hat just to have it and because it does look good, but nothing about the jersey or the striping excites me all that much. I guess at this point in year 25 of using black you can no longer say this is BFBS so no issue for me on that front, but I was hoping for a look inspired by the pullovers of the Big Red Machine years that used multiple shades of red - burgundy, red, brick, pink, etc. Be the literal Reds. 

The wordmark reminds me of the panels on the side of Convention center. Is it supposed to? If not, then I see no way this connects to the city like it's supposed to. 

Meetings_Venues_Duke_Energy_Convention_C

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 5/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, tBBP said:

I'll wait to see what our two resident Cincinnatians have to say about this before I throw my little two rusted Lincolns in the mix...

On 5/13/2023 at 5:43 PM, Dilbert said:

Im not a fan. Ive never been a fan of black in the Reds uniforms and logos since it was added in 1999. Im a red and white purist. While I like Cincy as a script, having it and the numbers be black on black is a visibility nightmare. The C  on the hat screams Portland Trail Blazers.  Nothing of this uniform screams Cincinnati. The only bit they do have that even remotely represents the city is Juncta Juvant, and the Buckeye is more for Ohio overall than Cincinnati, and they are hiding in the collar. That being said, while I dont think these are good, they are miles better than Baltimores leak.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

12 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Oh look another terrible City jersey. Who woulda thunk it?

Illegible numbers like the Marlins' alts, stupid black pants and the C logo is awful.

Not wrong

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

omg it is the Old Bay font. 

No freaking way

It's definitely very close.  I really need to see them side by side.

At first glance, the O in the City Connect font doesn't seem to have the slight curve on the sides that the Old Bay font does.  However, that could just be my eyes playing tricks on me since we can only see a very small version of the City Connect font.

Either way, I can't imagine using Old Bay as an inspiration but not including yellow and blue.  Assuming there is a connection, maybe those colors show up elsewhere.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃