2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

The Seattle Kraken hit 2 goal posts, come up short, and failed to complete the miracle comeback with less than 30 seconds left.

But if I'm going to be completely honest, the Stars/Kraken series was really fun. That was quite an accomplishment, for a 2 year old team.

I watched a lot -- but not all -- of Kraken playoff hockey and it was really fun. Making the second round in the second season in a pre-Vegas era would have been an incredible accomplishment. As it is, it's just an amazing one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Why is Vegas such a wet blanket for hockey fans?

What they've done in their five years of existence is really amazing, will likely never be matched in any major 4 sport, and isn't praised enough.

• Like 7
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

20 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Where the heck else is he suppose to place expansion teams? Canada and the Northeast US only have so many major cities.

To add, Canada stole from the US last time a team relocated.

Stole? Where else was Atlanta going? The other prime growing cities were covered. Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix,...

Where would they go? SLC? San Antonio? Houston? Kansas City?

Sure, Seattle was always a possibility, but the arena and getting in there were never going to happen without a lot of planning. Atlanta was a much more last minute relocation.

NHL went to Columbus instead of Cleveland or Cincy, which effectively eliminated both of those options. Indianapolis is much more basketball-centric and probably struggles to get a third team there. Baltimore is never happening. Charlotte isn't happening with Raleigh. San Jose takes the rest of the SF Bay area. San Diego is a no due to venue options.  LV was a pipedream at the time, long term yes, but not at the time.  Kansas City is MAYBE a market suited to host a team with the Sprint Center (now T-Mobile Center) but KC isn't exactly a market able to handle a third team when they have arguably the two most expensive leagues to support (NFL and MLB).

Memphis? Nah. They just got NBA and are lucky to support that. Milwaukee? Admirals have had a long standing tradition there, but what venue was going to take in an NHL team and make it valuable?

By the time Atlanta failed (and Arizona failing), there wasn't much of an option for new markets. Las Vegas and Seattle were definitely possibilities with a new venue. LV especially. But at the time only one market really had a strong view of getting the revenue needed to not contract them. It's why NHL is letting Arizona slum it in a 4500 seat arena.  They don't have a choice. And the sweet $650 million expansion fee for Seattle was better suited for the league than letting Arizona walk.

The only markets NHL has been successful in the south are markets where other sporting options were limited. TB started when it was just the Bucs. Raleigh had college sports. San Jose was the up-and-coming southern sprawl of the bay area. Anaheim was suburban hell where fans of the Kings weren't driving that far when they had the new Ducks at home.

Really the biggest relocation/expansion team early on was the Avalanche. Who barely moved to town to an old stadium the same year the new Rockies a few years old opened Coors Field. There already was Broncos and Nuggets, but it was much more a 'hockey town' and winning the Stanley Cup their first year definitely helped solidify a fan base.

Meanwhile, Winnipeg was in prime uncontested real estate. Far enough from other markets they didn't see flack from nearby cities. Edmonton and Calgary were too far for the Canada markets to care, and Minnesota probably has very little sway nor care much if they were to lose some North Dakota support.

They went to the only major city that really wanted a team. If another Winnipeg existed today Arizona might have a new home already. But they're insistent on keeping teams in the south even though they struggle for support without winning much more than northern cities would.

The Stars rise to a Stanley Cup in 1999 came at the right time in DFW area sports.  The Dallas Mavericks were one of the worst teams in the NBA and nobody knew at that time if a 7 foot tall German they had on their team was going to do (of course, he ended up as the greatest player in Mavericks History and part of a stacked Class of 2023 for the Basketball Hall of Fame that includes Dwyane Wade, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Becky Hammon and Gregg Popovich), the Dallas Cowboys had a rapid decline towards the bottom of the NFL, and began the "Post Troy Aikman Dark Period" at QB that lasted until 2006.  The Texas Rangers were well.....just there (and except for 2010-2012 and 2015-2016) are still...just there today (although they have been a bit of a surprise this year).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Why is Vegas such a wet blanket for hockey fans?

What they've done in their five years of existence is really amazing, will likely never be matched in any major 4 sport, and isn't praised enough.

They're envious that Vegas immediately put together a good team and front office instead of sucking ass for decades like a REAL franchise. Plus they're from Las Vegas and it's hot and sunny there which is bad for... some reason

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Dislike 1

Well, also that the instant success made their players, front office (look at the way they unload players like MAF) and general fanbase a bunch of entitled brats, but sure, let's go with your strawman version of things. 🙄 

8 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

They're envious that Vegas immediately put together a good team and front office instead of sucking ass for decades like a REAL franchise. Plus they're from Las Vegas and it's hot and sunny there which is bad for... some reason

If you're pissing off Canadians, that's how you know you're doing something right. (I say as I comment on the Canadian message board)

spacer.png

Proud of the Kraken for having a noteworthy playoff run.  They did the "plucky, you don't belong here, kid" thing and made some noise.  Brought some eyes to the franchise and displayed some moxie and all that crap.  

That said, the remaining four teams are all mostly unlikeable and I want nothing to do with whoever's left.  I guess go...Canes?  Panthers?  This feels like rooting for a blooming onion that's been sitting in a window for a few weeks.

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

19 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Proud of the Kraken for having a noteworthy playoff run.  They did the "plucky, you don't belong here, kid" thing and made some noise.  Brought some eyes to the franchise and displayed some moxie and all that crap.  

That said, the remaining four teams are all mostly unlikeable and I want nothing to do with whoever's left.  I guess go...Canes?  Panthers?  This feels like rooting for a blooming onion that's been sitting in a window for a few weeks.

Yeah this is probably the worst four I could imagine… Out of the West it’s two teams I hate the most of the bracket, and the East feels uninteresting. Maybe the Panthers with their crazy run, but I was rooting for the Leafs out of the East, so it’s just weird.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, CS85 said:

I disagree. Usually when teams have kinda been off the radar for a while (especially the Panthers this year) fans tend to root em on more.

But go ahead. Give me a hockey Final Four that wouldn't pi$$ fans off. I'll wait.

6uXNWAo.png

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

But go ahead. Give me a hockey Final Four that wouldn't pi$$ fans off. I'll wait.

MIN vs WPG | BUF vs CBJ

2 teams that have never made the conference finals (CBJand WPG), 1 team that hasn't escaped the first round since the 2015-16 season (MIN), along with the team that currently has the longest playoff drought (BUF).

Edited by BrySmalls
Updated for accuracy
  • Like 1