MLS kits 2023

gosioux76

On 1/1/2023 at 11:58 PM, YELDARBfield said:

Could always be worse. If I were an NSC fan, I would take this 1,000,000 times over a Florida-Georgia Line collab.

You've got Orlando City and Atlanta United fans preemptively writing into their respective teams demanding they do not even consider doing this for their match.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, BC985 said:

On the topic of simpler logos, this logo is already being used at CITYPARK. Hopefully this is the uniform badge in 2-3 years. 

spacer.png

I understand people thinking Houston should just use the interlocking HD on their uniform, but I think the hexagon with a lightening bolt would be unique.

spacer.png

Interlocking HD for the win! I love the way it looks without "Houston Dynamo FC". I'll find the mock-up but I did one without it and it was the easiest fix ever.  I feel the same way about Orlando City. Their "B" team has OCB under the lion,  so I shopped-up the first team logo and replaced the name with "OC" and boom....addition improvement by subtraction.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, BltzW said:

Jimi Hendrix    🤝   Johnny Cash

Being kit inspirations

I don't know much about Johnny Cash and Nashville, but Jimi Hendrix isn't really part of the cultural fabric here. There's a life-sized statue that people sometimes do gross things to, but Heart, Nirvana, Sir Mix a Lot and, more recently, Brandi Carlisle and Macklemore have much more local visibility here. Dave Matthews Band too, though that's always kind of weirdly touch and go.

Come to think of it, a Heart kit would be pretty sweet.

• Huh? 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't know much about Johnny Cash and Nashville, but Jimi Hendrix isn't really part of the cultural fabric here. There's a life-sized statue that people sometimes do gross things to, but Heart, Nirvana, Sir Mix a Lot and, more recently, Brandi Carlisle and Macklemore have much more local visibility here. Dave Matthews Band too, though that's always kind of weirdly touch and go.

I mean, there's also an entire exhibit dedicated to him at the Museum of Pop Culture, the largest collection in the world. Plus he's buried in Renton.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don’t know about that… it’s not like Johnny Cash is on the top of the Gen Z charts either. It’s a matter of time. Jimi was decades ago but you can’t deny his influence still pervades all of rock and the Seattle music scene.

I do think grunge is a much more relevant influence for the times. Nirvana and Soundgarden etc. Seattle would do better to try a flannel kit, but red is more of a Timbers color.  So they’d have to do a different color But Portland may also ruin it with the plaid this year. 

• Applause 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

For me it's less about the generational appeal. I just find it something offputting about using a dead person's legacy so explicitly -- it feels like a grab at unearned cred. At least when the Timberwolves did Prince-themed jerseys, there was the history of Prince being a superfan in his day. But using Johnny Cash or Jimi Hendrix or Jean-Michel Basquiat to hype up teams that didn't even exist when they were alive just seems, I dunno, deeply corny. (At least the Sounders Hendrix kit looked cool, though.)

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

For me it's less about the generational appeal. I just find it something offputting about using a dead person's legacy so explicitly -- it feels like a grab at unearned cred. At least when the Timberwolves did Prince-themed jerseys, there was the history of Prince being a superfan in his day. But using Johnny Cash or Jimi Hendrix or Jean-Michel Basquiat to hype up teams that didn't even exist when they were alive just seems, I dunno, deeply corny. (At least the Sounders Hendrix kit looked cool, though.)

Agreed (except for that last part 😉).

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Agreed (except for that last part 😉).

Tbh I hated it at first, like I usually do with loud Sounders kits, but it grew on me substantially. Still think more should have been made of the fact that the color scheme was very close to the usual Sounders green and blue but inverted.

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Tbh I hated it at first, like I usually do with loud Sounders kits, but it grew on me substantially. Still think more should have been made of the fact that the color scheme was very close to the usual Sounders green and blue but inverted.

Admittedly, I thought it was really pretty close to being great. I just hated the fact that they went with the dark navy for the base color when they already had purple, orange, and yellow. Just getting rid of the navy would’ve helped substantially, but the white sponsor and names/numbers were an eyesore as well.

As for the colors being close to their usual green and blue but inverted… the fact that they didn’t make a big deal of that suggests to me that it wasn’t a conscious choice at all and only something noticed after the fact.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

40 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Admittedly, I thought it was really pretty close to being great. I just hated the fact that they went with the dark navy for the base color when they already had purple, orange, and yellow. Just getting rid of the navy would’ve helped substantially, but the white sponsor and names/numbers were an eyesore as well.

As for the colors being close to their usual green and blue but inverted… the fact that they didn’t make a big deal of that suggests to me that it wasn’t a conscious choice at all and only something noticed after the fact.

Exactly this.

Color choices were mainly driven by the Hendrix family pushing for a bit more pop and color. 

• Like 2

Additional photos of the Atlanta 23/24 shirt.

Was able to buy this from an online shop in France. Probably my second favorite shirt behind the original five stripes. Interestingly, I thought it simply had two black stripes (from the original leaks), but it looks like depending on sizing, the black stripes would continue towards the sides. I think this was the case with the original, too. I’m curious if there will be other differences between the authentic level shirt. Obviously it will have the star and differences in materials, but sometimes MLS authentics have major differences from the replicas like trim, cuffs, etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Was able to buy this from an online shop in France. Probably my second favorite shirt behind the original five stripes. Interestingly, I thought it simply had two black stripes (from the original leaks), but it looks like depending on sizing, the black stripes would continue towards the sides. I think this was the case with the original, too. I’m curious if there will be other differences between the authentic level shirt. Obviously it will have the star and differences in materials, but sometimes MLS authentics have major differences from the replicas like trim, cuffs, etc.

Quality looks pretty decent for the most part. As for the differences between replica and authentic, you hit on most of the things to look out for based on past years and the St. Louis authentic & replica shirts that are already for sale. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Atlanta authentic ended up having contrasting cuffs or cuff trim, but several of Adidas’ World Cup shirts were without cuff detailing altogether.

One disappointing thing that I’m just now noticing is that it appears the replica shirts will have the epaulette-esque adidas stripes that cut off at the top of the shoulder instead of the longer stripes that continue slightly down the arm. Notice the difference between the authentic and replica St. Louis shirts here:

spacer.png
spacer.png

The replicas of the World Cup shirts of course had the longer stripes that matched the authentics, so add this to the list of disparities. 

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is a good chance the authentic version will have black underarm panels.

I like the shirt and it's good that ATL are back in full stripes. Would have liked to see the stripes on the back too.

7 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Really nice shirt, although it's a shame about the stripeless back. 

The difference with the authentic will be some kind of jock-tag, black underarm panels and some cuff trim, I guess.

2 hours ago, hereandthere said:

Really nice shirt, although it's a shame about the stripeless back. 

The difference with the authentic will be some kind of jock-tag, black underarm panels and some cuff trim, I guess.

I know in Europe this is because UEFA doesn't allow stripes in international competition to make numbers easier to read. I believe MLS copied that rule as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I know in Europe this is because UEFA doesn't allow stripes in international competition to make numbers easier to read. I believe MLS copied that rule as well. 

I don't know about the MLS, I've never seen the regulation. But about Europe, it's not 100% true. I mean, there are stricter rules in UEFA competions compared to domestice leagues, but most striped teams (for example last year's AC Milan and this year's FC Inter) have no problem playing with striped backs in the Champions League as well, given there is enough contrast with the numbers. The same can be said for Argentina's national team.

I guess most instances of plain backs are simply brands and clubs playing it safe, even safer than the regulations demand.

8 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

There is a good chance the authentic version will have black underarm panels.

I like the shirt and it's good that ATL are back in full stripes. Would have liked to see the stripes on the back too.

We tried that in 19/20. Didn't go over well with the fanbase. ButtStripes was a phrase I heard to much around tailgates those seasons. 

• Like 1
Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png