NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah feels like if they do expand over there, Jacksonville is going to be part of it. It’s hard to imagine them just doing 4 new teams all overseas. Some sort of hybrid makes sense with Jacksonville. I know the Glazers were looking at selling ManU maybe, but could see them also shifting to that division and having annual games over there. Maybe those international teams have their base of operations US side in Orlando, because they’d need that.

Yeah it’s really hard to picture how it’d be balanced. I get you are doing that as owners to try and grow the most. But could also taking for less risk and logistical burden to just do North American cities.

The 3 divisions of 6 in each conference seems doable, but gets tricky when you try to break a division up in both the AFC and NFC. Easiest target seems to be just dissolve the southern divisions. But as to what it’d be would depend on what 4 cities are being added.

Like if they are adding 2 teams + the jags overseas. Putting in the Bucs, Atlanta and Carolina makes sense. Hubs them more. But obviously if they add like San Antonio, Portland, St Louis and Orlando/Toronto/Mexico City it’d be different.

Yes, growing internationally adds a lot of complicated logistics.  It makes much more sense to expand domestically and create a completely separate international league.  

If they added 4 new teams and went back to the previous 6-division layout (with 6 teams each, instead of 5), they could revert to the traditional East, Central, and West format, while yes, eliminating the South divisions.  Depending on what new cities were added, I'm sure some of the alignments wouldn't make sense; however, it would almost allow...if we could move past some longstanding rivalries...the chance to correctly align teams in proper geographic divisions:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills
Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets
*Orlando (expansion)

AFC CENTRAL
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Ravens
Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tennessee Titans

AFC WEST
Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers
*San Antonio (expansion - Jerry Jones would hate it, but it's the largest city in the US to not have an NFL team.  The mayor said in 2021 that he believes they'll have a team within 10 years...what does he know that we don't?)
Seattle Seahawks

NFC EAST

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints

New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC CENTRAL

Chicago Bears

Houston Texans

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

*St. Louis (expansion)

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Rams

*Oregon (Washington Commanders relocation to Portland.  Theorizing that Bezos buys the team and wants to move it to the West Coast but San Diego still won't pay for a stadium and the NFL says no to 4 teams in CA.  Therefore, the Oregon Primes are born. 🫤)

San Francisco 49ers
*Utah (expansion - the Governor there say he'd pull out all the stops to get a team)

Just having some fun here.  I think the NFL expanding to 40 teams, with at least half of those being international, while putting teams back in St. Louis & San Diego, is more likely, while retaining 8 divisions, 4 in each conference.  Not that I'd like that.

And just for fun, divisions with 8 expansion teams for a total of 40 NFL franchises:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

*Orlando

AFC NORTH
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Ravens

Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC SOUTH
*Alabama (Birmingham)

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

*New Mexico (Albuquerque)

Tennessee Titans

AFC WEST
Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers
*San Diego

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Commanders

*Toronto

NFC CENTRAL

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

*St. Louis

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
*San Antonio

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Rams

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks
*Oregon (Portland) or Utah (Salt Lake City)

Could jostle some of these around, of course.  Sure makes you wonder how long until the NFL moves to expand.  Money talks.

32 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Yes, growing internationally adds a lot of complicated logistics.  It makes much more sense to expand domestically and create a completely separate international league.  

If they added 4 new teams and went back to the previous 6-division layout (with 6 teams each, instead of 5), they could revert to the traditional East, Central, and West format, while yes, eliminating the South divisions.  Depending on what new cities were added, I'm sure some of the alignments wouldn't make sense; however, it would almost allow...if we could move past some longstanding rivalries...the chance to correctly align teams in proper geographic divisions:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills
Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets
*Orlando (expansion)

AFC CENTRAL
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Ravens
Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tennessee Titans

AFC WEST
Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers
*San Antonio (expansion - Jerry Jones would hate it, but it's the largest city in the US to not have an NFL team.  The mayor said in 2021 that he believes they'll have a team within 10 years...what does he know that we don't?)
Seattle Seahawks

NFC EAST

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints

New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC CENTRAL

Chicago Bears

Houston Texans

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

*St. Louis (expansion)

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Rams

*Oregon (Washington Commanders relocation to Portland.  Theorizing that Bezos buys the team and wants to move it to the West Coast but San Diego still won't pay for a stadium and the NFL says no to 4 teams in CA.  Therefore, the Oregon Primes are born. 🫤)

San Francisco 49ers
*Utah (expansion - the Governor there say he'd pull out all the stops to get a team)

Just having some fun here.  I think the NFL expanding to 40 teams, with at least half of those being international, while putting teams back in St. Louis & San Diego, is more likely, while retaining 8 divisions, 4 in each conference.  Not that I'd like that.

In that scenario, I'd hope the Jags would be in the AFC Central and the Colts in the East, as those were our respective divisions before the most recent round of divisional realignment. I know a lot of Jaguars fans still consider some of the current AFC North teams as rivals, but am aware that feeling is probably not mutual considering our limited history. I miss playing the Steelers and the Ravens though -- I haven't learned to hate the Colts or Texans.

• Like 3

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Stop pitching orlando as an expansion team. You say CA can’t have 4 teams but FL is perfectly fine despite being smaller with a smaller population. And also a history of being fair weather fans. Orlando is less than 3 hours from both jacksonville and Tampa, and only a few more from miami. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So, exactly when have gradients worked on a sports uniform?  I’m coming up blank.  

A couple soccer teams have broken out jerseys with gradients that work.

Ranking the best and worst Barcelona home kits of the last decade |  theScore.com

Mexico National Football Team Will Be Back in Green Home Kits for 2022  World Cup – SportsLogos.Net News

• Like 2
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Mods- can we get a thread name change?

I'm 99% certain I was the one that suggested taking all these hare-brained plans that derailed threads and putting them into their own pointless thread (and Admiral came up with the reel-line-mint meme.)  Unfortunately, I think that graphic got lost in one of the forum upgrades.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

honestly, i could see them doing a "ghost stripe" look like their 80s sleeve striping in maroon and a slightely lighter than cardinal red and it looking halfway decent

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:38 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I wonder how the Panthers helmet would look if the stripes had reversed colors. Meaning blue stripes with black outlines, matching the stripes on the silver pants.

I think the opposite would look better. Change the silver pants stripes to match the helmet.

On 4/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

So, exactly when have gradients worked on a sports uniform?  I’m coming up blank.  

I've always thought they worked well on these uniforms:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think the opposite would look better. Change the silver pants stripes to match the helmet.

A silver helmet with black stripes, a black jersey, and silver pants with a black stripe?

The Raiders would have won that lawsuit. 

• LOL 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

If, and that’s a big IF, Washington rebrands fully under new ownership, there’s only one logical choice-

Washington 32s

The name isn’t the problem. It’s the uniforms. (And the owner.)

• Like 3

Seeing these concepts has put me in the camp that it's the Cardinals that should have over-corrected and adopted the Jags uniforms, while the Jags should have gone with a less-minimalist (but still traditionalish) set.

Darken the red a bit and the simple recolor is a winner.  

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."