NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

21 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Metlife did get new turf this offseason.  I believe the previous turf had the NFL logo sewn in (which is why Super Bowl XLVIII had the smaller NFL logo at midfield).  The new turf is likely blank and allow for customization.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

The logotype is incredible too.

GLRIpgD.png

I wish they could have used the proper wordmark however (check out the 'U' in 'Buccaneers" for example):

spacer.png

I also wish they had used the proper colors, and also provided the version of the logo that was used for marketing. (Different than was used on the helmets.)

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Metlife did get new turf this offseason.  I believe the previous turf had the NFL logo sewn in (which is why Super Bowl XLVIII had the smaller NFL logo at midfield).  The new turf is likely blank and allow for customization.

There was a video put out by the WSJ 10 years ago showing how the stadium switches over between the teams and the MetLife person called the logo "inlayed" and it's not trays like the endzones are. I would assume that means that it was sewn in.

The initial plan was for there to be Jets and Giants logo switched out at midfield and for them to be switched out like the endzones but then a Giants player blew out his knee during the first training camp at the stadium and it was shelved.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Nothing weird about teams wearing different designs for home and away. A solid colored home jersey looks great, but solid colored white jerseys can be bland. It makes sense a white jersey would have a different, more complex design to add opportunities for color that the home version just doesn't need. 

I agree, that's a good case for it.  I think the Raiders pull off the solid white pretty well, but that's also their brand.  Off the top of my head I'm not sure who else has just a plain solid-color dark jersey, but that's probably a rare instance of when I'm cool with the white having a different design.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TruColor said:

I wish they could have used the proper wordmark however (check out the 'U' in 'Buccaneers" for example):

spacer.png

I also wish they had used the proper colors, and also provided the version of the logo that was used for marketing. (Different than was used on the helmets.)

Which colors would have been proper? The 1977 through 1979 colors?

Is the marketing logo the one used on the logo slick that you posted?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Nothing weird about teams wearing different designs for home and away. A solid colored home jersey looks great, but solid colored white jerseys can be bland. It makes sense a white jersey would have a different, more complex design to add opportunities for color that the home version just doesn't need. 

Giants, Cowboys, and Commanders(?) are the only current teams aside from the Cardinals who deploy different templates and of those three, only the Giants have plain solid colored home jerseys. Interesting phenomenon. 

7 hours ago, TruColor said:

spacer.png

Wait, how did the Bucco Bruce helmet logo differ from the main Bucco Bruce logo?

9 hours ago, TruColor said:

This is why I hate working with digital editions of classic fonts that don’t have all of the alternate characters/ligatures. ITC Serif Gothic is one of the biggest offenders here.

Do tell about the different logos, please!

25 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Do tell about the different logos, please!

I *THINK* it has to do with the feather on the cap. One of them, apparently the marketing version, had more detail/white space.

It's where I sit.

Creamsicle orange looks great and they should go with it full-time as their primary color. I've always disliked the pewter stuff, but if they can't even get the signature color right and have to settle for warm grey, then there's no sense in sticking to it. They were a joke in the old colors and spent time being a joke in the new colors, too. Maybe it's time for a fresh start to be a joke in.

Not sure what to think of the homie-fied Texans. The color scheme doesn't entirely suck.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

spacer.png

The 'S' also appears to have been rotated 180o, making the top bigger than the bottom. What a weird little quirk.

• Like 4
  • WOAH 1

spacer.png

16 hours ago, BBTV said:

The Eagles tried this in '96.  I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.  Glad they corrected:

Check out the sock wordmark!!  Never noticed that.  I don't think it ever made it to a real game.

How about that...sock wordmarks were mostly an AFC thing as far as I was aware (Dolphins, Bengals, Patriots, Jets for a year, Chargers were the last team to use them and the only ones to take them into the 2000s)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 7/13/2023 at 3:47 PM, JustABallCoach said:

This shirt celebrating 713 Day in Houston might be the first official Texans product I’ve seen use the Columbia blue Texans logo  

I know I’m making something out of nothing, and I shouldn’t make too much off of a fashion shirt… BUT, when ownership said they were negotiating the colors with the league I wonder if the Titans want them to drop the Navy blue so it’s not an exact match and we will see black outlines instead   

EDIT - That cup looks like it’s using deep steel blue, so I’m probably just grasping at straws, but we have seen an increased use of black  spacer.png

An NFL team with Marlins colors.  I'm with that!!!

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The Bucco Bruce helmet logo changed in 1991 to the more detailed version. 

1976-1991:

1978-tb-v3.png?1600197118

1991-1996:
1992-tb-v5.png?1600196888

As much as I’ve tried to master the Bucs’ uniform/logo history, I was today years’ old when I learned that they actually put that version of the logo on their helmets.

It caused me to do some research to verify that they actually used both versions of the logo in the same season(s) (among different marketing mediums), and I just came across this eBay listing for a ticket stub to a 1979 game, where it looks like there’s a THIRD version of the Bucco Bruce logo that’s like a midpoint of the two we already know about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235088725858

(Sorry, can’t figure out how to embed an image of it from my phone)

14 minutes ago, CrookedThumb said:

You would have to post the photo to a host site like Imgur and then link the image t your post from there.

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

An NFL team with Marlins colors.  I'm with that!!!

Me too. Especially in that division. The Colts are good keeping it simple, but the Titans wear too much navy blue and the Jaguars have that nice teal, but in a really boring uniform set. There needs to be a bright color to balance out the navy and black. 

13 hours ago, CrookedThumb said:

As much as I’ve tried to master the Bucs’ uniform/logo history, I was today years’ old when I learned that they actually put that version of the logo on their helmets.

It caused me to do some research to verify that they actually used both versions of the logo in the same season(s) (among different marketing mediums), and I just came across this eBay listing for a ticket stub to a 1979 game, where it looks like there’s a THIRD version of the Bucco Bruce logo that’s like a midpoint of the two we already know about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235088725858

I believe that's the original primary logo. 1976-1991 primary logo had minimal detail, the helmet logo had wonky detailing, then in 1991 they just streamlined the brand and made it a single more detailed logo both ways.

1976-BUCS-COLORS.jpg?format=2500w

BUCS-DECAL.jpg?format=2500w

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

On 7/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, JustABallCoach said:

This shirt celebrating 713 Day in Houston might be the first official Texans product I’ve seen use the Columbia blue Texans logo  

I know I’m making something out of nothing, and I shouldn’t make too much off of a fashion shirt… BUT, when ownership said they were negotiating the colors with the league I wonder if the Titans want them to drop the Navy blue so it’s not an exact match and we will see black outlines instead   

EDIT - That cup looks like it’s using deep steel blue, so I’m probably just grasping at straws, but we have seen an increased use of black  spacer.png

This merchandise feels like it's straight out of 2005, like when Swishahouse was relevant.

• LOL 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12