College Football 2023

Rixaroo

4 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

I believe that Michigan State has plans to introduce a new throwback helmet this season featuring their "MAC" logo. The logo itself is matte white with no outline, so I assume it'll be paired with the green helmet (which is also matte iirc). They only wanted side-of-helmet decals though, not stripes, bumpers, etc. It's likely that they pair it with bumper decals, but I don't think that a helmet stripe is a lock.

7HWNtap.png

What is “MAC” suppose to mean?

11 minutes ago, dont care said:

What is “MAC” suppose to mean?

I had no idea at first, but it's just a previous name that the university used for a while

nf9ixvP.png

There's also a little bit of precedence for this kind of throwback since the men's basketball team wore a similar logo on their jerseys in 2017. The one the football team will ordered was rounded (like the pic from my original post) instead of the being geometric like the photo below. As far as I know, the football team hasn't worn the MAC logo before, so idk if they're gonna present it as a full on throwback or not.

WWJgY1X.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing new, but still interesting: Dawg Nation (part of the Atlanta Journal Constitution) did a deep dive on Georgia uniforms over the years, including various tweaks, alternates, and prototypes that were never worn. They also speculate a bit about the often worn white helmet seen on recruiting visits.

https://www.dawgnation.com/junkyard-blawg/alternate-dawgs-uniforms/FG2LNM7Y2VENLODOJS2SW6KIGU/

———

As a Georgia guy, I like that we remain true to our classics, but still wish we would add variety a couple times per year. People know Georgia for its red helmet, red and white jerseys, and silver pants. But the fact remains Georgia’s colors are not just red, but red and black. All other Georgia teams embrace black. Some alternates and tweaks over the years have been less traditional, but there are plenty of alternates that are still “classic Georgia” looks.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Georgia’s black is one of the best alternates in all of college football. They introduced it at a time (2007) before alts became a craze in the sport and it was seen as a special event. It also helps that they wear it with their usual helmet and pants, unlike many teams that wear matching black helmets and pants. I view these similar to Notre Dame’s green jerseys: an elite alternate when worn with the right combination.

spacer.png

Red pants on the road is a classic look and should be worn more. Not all the time, but at least once or twice per year. The 1980 throwback worn in 2020 was beautiful.

spacer.png

The pants had a super wide white stripe flanked by thin black stripes.  This could work in the modern era with some minor tweaks. Red pants with a thin white stripe to mirror the helmet would look great and pair well with their regular white jersey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Recruits have worn white helmets and pants and I think it’s a fun look that could be done once a year. The helmet stripe uses the same design as the silver britches, so it still feels familiar, despite being a new idea.

spacer.png

Silver helmets could work and have been worn before. I have long advocated for a silver helmet that uses the same stripe as the white helmet above. The helmet would pair perfectly with the silver pants. I envision that being only worn on the road, though. As another option, the team could introduce plain silver helmets (block G) and pants with a plain red jersey as a throwback look.

spacer.png

There are ways for Georgia to add some variety without becoming another Oregon. Look at Florida. They have orange, white, and blue jerseys and pants in various combinations that are all seen as “classic Gators.” I would wear the regular uniforms 8-9 times per year and alternates 3-4 times. I think that would please both the traditionalists and fans open to change. I don’t want to see wild combinations such as paring red and black jerseys and pants, but a little variety would be nice.

———

I built this site a couple years ago as a way to play around with various ideas.

https://andrewwagner.wixsite.com/georgiauniforms

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Nothing new, but still interesting: Dawg Nation (part of the Atlanta Journal Constitution) did a deep dive on Georgia uniforms over the years, including various tweaks, alternates, and prototypes that were never worn. They also speculate a bit about the often worn white helmet seen on recruiting visits.

https://www.dawgnation.com/junkyard-blawg/alternate-dawgs-uniforms/FG2LNM7Y2VENLODOJS2SW6KIGU/

Interesting article. I had no recollection of UGA ever wearing red-over-black, but I can see why they never tried it again. It just looks off.

spacer.png

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, cajunaggie08 said:

These wont see the field until 2025 but the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) released 3 helmet options yesterday. UTRGV is starting up a football program that will play in the WAC/United Athletic Conference

https://goutrgv.com/galleries/football/football-helmets/2855

Gray with a black facemask, but their colors are navy, orange, and green? 😵‍💫

• Like 3

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 6/28/2023 at 10:41 AM, upperV03 said:

Over the last several months there have been some soft rumors about the Ducks wearing throwbacks this upcoming season, but there hasn’t been any concrete evidence to back those rumors up. Well, we may now have the first real indication that those rumors are true. A recruit posted photos yesterday of his recent visit, and he’s wearing the 1994 throwbacks that were worn in 2014… but with a subtle difference. The pants he’s wearing are Vapor FUSE pants, not the Mach Speed pants that were actually worn in ‘14. You can tell by the integrated padding system, and in some of the other photos on his IG you can see the ventilation pattern and seams.

Is it possible that the EQ staff ordered new pants just so recruits could wear them on visits? I suppose, but not particularly likely with Oregon. I would say this is definitely a sign of things to come, whether that’s 1994 throwbacks again, 1998 throwbacks (last worn in 2009), or a hybrid/fauxback design. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Update on this: it’s a go. I don’t have confirmation of what year they’re throwing back to, but I’m fully expecting it to be 1994 again. I also don’t know what game they’ll be worn, but looking at the schedule I’m guessing it’ll either be Oct. 21st vs. Wazzu or Nov. 4th vs. Cal.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1