College Football 2023

Rixaroo

49 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

New Purdue uniforms. They look like copies of the Drew Brees era unforms from 2001

I need to see the 2 and 7 of this number font.

That said, two things: a/ I've wondered how long it'd take Purdue to do this, so I'm glad they finally did, and b/ this confirms what I've been suspecting: the pendulum has indeed swung back the other way toward traditional (okay, throwback, but traditional still the same.) Who'da thunk traditional would be the new trend???

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just now, tBBP said:

That said, two things: a/ I've wondered how long it'd take Purdue to do this, so I'm glad they finally did, and b/ this confirms what I've been suspecting: the pendulum has indeed swung back the other way toward traditional (okay, throwback, but traditional still the same.) Who'da thunk traditional would be the new trend???

We know Nike can make the Champion fonts, based off the Jets, so I hope we see that here. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Looks like they got both the 2 and the 4 of the Champion font pretty much right. The 7, though, uses a straight diagonal instead of the signature curve.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Looks like they got both the 2 and the 4 of the Champion font pretty much right. The 7, though, uses a straight diagonal instead of the signature curve.

Purdue football Who Wore It Best Nos. 71-80

Apparently that was the style they wore the year they won the Alamo Bowl. Or at least this guy did. There are other jerseys for sale with the more famous version of the 7 on them. The guy pictured above appears to be the anomaly of the team, or the way that the jersey stuck to the pads it gave that effect and Nike ran with it. 

Matt Light used to protecting Drews

Based on this picture vs Central Michigan I'm going to go with the uniform sticking to the pads. There's video of the game, but it's a quick cut ESPN bowl game video that cuts out anything other than the plays. I'll have to find something else to confirm.

Lot - 1998 Purdue University Game Used Football Jersey with Alamo Bowl Patch

1998 Alamo Bowl #4 Kansas State vs Purdue No Huddle - YouTube

Don Brumm was an All-American defensive end at Purdue in 1962.

They did have this version of the 7 in the 1960's, but I don't think you pull this out of your history to mash it up with another decade.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I’ve mentioned on here a few times now about how Oregon will be wearing throwbacks sometime this year. A recruit leaked the pants a while back, and now a few items from the retail collection have been leaked. S/O to one of my buddies for finding the items.

Coaches polo:

spacer.png

Two t-shirts:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The expectation is that they’ll be 1994 throwbacks again. If so, I’m hoping they fix some of the inaccuracies that the 2014 throwbacks had. Here’s what I’d like to see:

- Champion number font (worn throughout 1994 season, but not in 1995 Rose Bowl)

- Large shoulder numbers

- Perforated numbers (least important, but I’d still like to see it)

- Helmet numbers

- “Oregon” on front bumper 

spacer.png

• Like 9

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, tBBP said:

the pendulum has indeed swung back the other way toward traditional (okay, throwback, but traditional still the same.) Who'da thunk traditional would be the new trend???

I think it's swinging more toward simple, which is a double-edged sword. It can either lead to beautiful classic uniforms, or plain boring uniforms that lack any character or defining features.

• Like 4

This might be better served for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but am I the only one that doesn't like when teams (this goes across all sports) go to a throwback design as is for their regular home and away uniforms? 

To me it feels like a cop out, like "we can't think of anything better so here's our old uniforms again"

• Like 6
  • Dislike 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

This might be better served for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but am I the only one that doesn't like when teams (this goes across all sports) go to a throwback design as is for their regular home and away uniforms? 

To me it feels like a cop out, like "we can't think of anything better so here's our old uniforms again"

I understand what you're saying,  but if a design is good, does it matter if it is a throwback? If it IS a good design and they had stayed with it, this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm ambivalent on this uniform.  I'd prefer stripes on the pants and am not sure how I feel about the outline on the numbers.

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

42 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I understand what you're saying,  but if a design is good, does it matter if it is a throwback? If it IS a good design and they had stayed with it, this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm ambivalent on this uniform.  I'd prefer stripes on the pants and am not sure how I feel about the outline on the numbers.

Definitely a valid argument. Idk, I feel like it takes the creativity out of uniforms, but maybe less of that is more these days. 

I agree on the pants needing stripes and the numbers don’t need the double outlines 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

I don't mind teams going back to an old look, but it is annoying when they don't update or fix any of the flaws of the look. If it's your regular look, it doesn't need to be a 100% faithful throwback, warts and all. Purdue's same-color number outline looked bad then, and looks bad now. A gold outline or plain numbers would have looked better, and the pants could have used stripes to match the helmet. And then of course, there's Miami and their mismatched pants stripe that they didn't fix.

• Like 11
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

Not mad at this look at all for Purdue, even if I do think their ideal set is something train-themed. 

The double outline isn’t great, but doesn’t tank the look either imo. I actually think the modern template makes it look better than the original. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I know Purdue is wearing what is essentially a throwback, but it’s not a very good one IMO. It looks more dated than classic to me. The double outline looks cheap and the gold is too light to be touching white. 

I thought Purdue looked pretty good when they stuck to the basics with the last set (minus the silly rubber cow catcher)

spacer.png

• Like 8