Arizona Cardinals new uniform extravaganza

CaliforniaGlowin

At least there's stroke on the numbers.  The Jags couldn't get that one simple thing right.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm on the record here as being a big fan of the classic '70s-80s  Jim Hart/Neal Lomax era uniforms of the Cardinals. My hope was that they would stay true to that, especially the white jerseys, which I think are an under-appreciated classic.

Reflecting on this redesign, it's clear they did exactly what I was hoping for. But there were a few wrinkles I hadn't considered.

One was this league-wide acceptance of monochrome as a standard. It's gross. 

Also, those old uniforms -- especially the home reds -- had no identifiable marks on them, which makes it less appealing as streetwear. To account for that, they added the wordmark to the chest, but sized obnoxiously large. 

The original white uniforms repeated the cardinal logo on the sleeve. So removing it avoids repetition, and it likely wouldn't fit there anyway with the smaller sleeve caps. So instead, they just inserted the Cardinals wordmark into the stripes to give it an identity mark. As a piece of streetwear, it's enough to distinguish it from, at first glance anyway, an Ohio State uniform, but it also feels really forced.

It adds up to a pretty unimaginative modernization of a classic. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm on the record here as being a big fan of the classic '70s-80s  Jim Hart/Neal Lomax era uniforms of the Cardinals. My hope was that they would stay true to that, especially the white jerseys, which I think are an under-appreciated classic.

Reflecting on this redesign, it's clear they did exactly what I was hoping for. But there were a few wrinkles I hadn't considered.

One was this league-wide acceptance of monochrome as a standard. It's gross. 

Also, those old uniforms -- especially the home reds -- had no identifiable marks on the, which makes it less appealing as streetwear. To account for that, they added the wordmark to the chest, but sized obnoxiously large. 

The original white uniforms repeated the cardinal logo on the sleeve. So removing it avoids repetition, and it likely wouldn't fit there anyway with the smaller sleeve caps. So instead, they put the Cardinals wordmark in there in a way, that, to me looks awkward. As a piece of streetwear, it's enough to distinguish, from first glance anyway, from an Ohio State uniform, but it also feels shoehorned. 

It adds up to a pretty unimaginative modernization of a classic. 

I like this analysis here. I can see the two trends you mention becoming more popular: mono-color and designs being more designer/street-wear minded. The whole point of uniforms now are the clicks and the money. Cohesiveness isn't in the cards anymore.

It's what makes me worried about my Broncos next year. New uniforms are coming, but I'm worried that they'll completely miss the point. They might be one of the few teams that have a complete consensus on what they should look like (modernized Elway-era uniforms), but I fear that they'll veer off in a completely different direction. Now I don't know if the redesigns we've seen the last few seasons are more the product of Nike or the teams' ideas, but either way, I'm nervous.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I feel like this set is... just there. I'm not a fan of this new trend of mismatching homes and aways and the large ARIZONA on the homes that aren't present on the others sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise nothing that egregious but also nothing to write home about. The helmet application might be interesting, though, so I'll hold out for that come game action.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

25 minutes ago, CS85 said:

stroke on the numbers

CCSLC slashfic

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

For a program that is supposedly no longer necessary, why are teams still making Color Rash their third design? And now we know what college teams would look like if they kept those big wordmarks with the Fusion template. And if I were them, I wouldn't use that template.

Arizona Cardinals unveil new uniforms for the 2023 season

Smaller wordmarks will work well with it, but this is just too low.

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Marquise "Hollywood" Brown (2) and Arizona Cardinals running back James Conner (6) pose for a photo during a photoshoot for the 2023 Arizona Cardinals Uniforms on Thursday, April 13, 2023.

The home uniform is the worst look of the three. The white uniform is the best. I'd hope the red pants aren't used as much, at least with the home uniform. They should have at least added stripes to match up with the other pants. And with 9 players showing off three sets of uniforms, how about you change up the combos instead of three all white, red, and black? 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

I'm not a fan of this new trend of mismatching homes and aways ....

I wouldn't chalk this up as being representative of a new trend. The original Cardinals uniforms were mismatched in this exact same way. They were clearly trying to update that look. 

• Like 6

My biggest problem with the uniforms.... is that they didn't listen to us Cardinals fans one bit. 

We have been clamoring for some type of state flag representation on the uniforms for years and they just ignored it, I think thats why they're just so.. meh.

Just a tone deaf move to be honest, the uniforms are fine, but are perceived worse because of that in my opinion.

• Like 1

a2BRS8U.png

I thought their old uniforms were the worst in the league, but there's gotta be a middle point between the most 2004 ass uniforms ever and these MAC tier templates for the Miami Redhawks. They're like the Jags in that the over-correction to the zany uniforms was to make no statement at all. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 minutes ago, H11K said:

My biggest problem with the uniforms.... is that they didn't listen to us Cardinals fans one bit. 

We have been clamoring for some type of state flag representation on the uniforms for years and they just ignored it, I think thats why they're just so.. meh.

Just a tone deaf move to be honest, the uniforms are fine, but are perceived worse because of that in my opinion.

It would have been pretty easy to place the flag inside one of the sleeve stripes where they had the Cardinals wordmarks. Not sure that it works as good. Or a sunrise pattern similar to that on the flag, even if it isn't in the state flag colors. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Marquise "Hollywood" Brown (2) and Arizona Cardinals running back James Conner (6) pose for a photo during a photoshoot for the 2023 Arizona Cardinals Uniforms on Thursday, April 13, 2023.

The more I look at these, the more I like them.

It’s really hard to like anything a lot when Kyler Murray is wearing it; it’s like trying to like Chiefs gear when Jackson Mahomes is wearing it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

If you block out 2005-22, it’s a somewhat natural progression of uniform IMO

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Give those red pants the same double white stripe and these go from fine to borderline very good.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

a2BRS8U.png

Just now, Sport said:

I thought their old uniforms were the worst in the league, but there's gotta be a middle point between the most 2004 ass uniforms ever and these MAC tier templates for the Miami Redhawks. They're like the Jags in that the over-correction to the zany uniforms was to make no statement at all. 

I'd say if the Jags at least had sleeve stripes they'd be similar. The Cardinals are slightly ahead of them now though. 

3 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

State flag on the sleeves of the red jerseys with the white pants would’ve been a slam dunk even with the huge word mark 

Yes, anything other than empty space. They could have put the numbers there as well and they'd be pretty close to teh original Cardinals jersey, minus that honking huge wordmark. 

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

If you block out 2005-22, it’s a somewhat natural progression of uniform IMO

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I almost forgot that the sleeve stripes were blue instead of black for some reason.

Just now, H11K said:

Give those red pants the same double white stripe and these go from fine to borderline very good.

Or a white main stripe with black trim. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I got my last second wish...

No copper. No state flag.

I'm actually appreciative of the idea of the home jersey being more plain and the road having stripes.  That's on-brand for what I consider to be he actual Cardinals uniform.

Monochrome, however, continues to suck.  As does every single non-white color rush uniform. Every one. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

For a program that is supposedly no longer necessary, why are teams still making Color Rash their third design? And now we know what college teams would look like if they kept those big wordmarks with the Fusion template. And if I were them, I wouldn't use that template.

Smaller wordmarks will work well with it, but this is just too low.

The home uniform is the worst look of the three. The white uniform is the best. I'd hope the red pants aren't used as much, at least with the home uniform. They should have at least added stripes to match up with the other pants. And with 9 players showing off three sets of uniforms, how about you change up the combos instead of three all white, red, and black? 

Honestly, this thread could just end with your post. Perfect summary. Three things are needed:

1 - Red set needs stripes to match the other sets

2 - Red jersey paired with white pants instead of plain red

3 - I would love to see a combo of black helmet, red jersey, black pants, red socks. Basically CHANGE UP THE COMBOS FROM THE COLOR RUSH

Most of the elements are there, they just need to put it in the right order and add stripes to the red pants. I would love horizontal stripes on the socks too, but we all know that just isn't happening anymore, so I wont harp on that.

• Like 3