2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

19 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I can’t believe McDermott kneeled on the ball going into OT, considering the way they were shredding the eagles D. It wasn’t much time, but he had TOs, and just need d to get to FG range which would have been two or three quick sideline passes. 

It was depressing. If he doesn't believe in his team, why should they believe in him?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It was depressing. If he doesn't believe in his team, why should they believe in him?

It's similar to how Rivera didn't go for two to beat the Eagles because "his guys were gassed".  It's extremely likely he would have gotten it, but instead, like McDermott, he chose OT.  And the rest is history.

EDIT:

I like McDermott.  He's a local guy, and he got a raw deal with the Eagles - put into a position that he wasn't ready for - being asked to replace a legend and be just like him, which was an impossible task.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, Cujo said:

*checks topic*

Why are we discussing ThE gAmE in here?

Also, nobody outside MI/OH cares. Just like how nobody outside Carolina cares about Duke vs UNC.

How about we let the mod squad do the moderating, Van Smack?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

BB52Big.jpg

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

I can’t believe McDermott kneeled on the ball going into OT, considering the way they were shredding the eagles D. It wasn’t much time, but he had TOs, and just need d to get to FG range which would have been two or three quick sideline passes. 

For me, this goes for many kneel-downs to end a half... if you think the defense has a better chance of scoring than your offense when you have the ball, why even play the game?! If you're on your own 15 with 5 seconds left, that's one thing; if you've got a reasonable shot, might as well take it.

26 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

For me, this goes for many kneel-downs to end a half... if you think the defense has a better chance of scoring than your offense when you have the ball, why even play the game?! If you're on your own 15 with 5 seconds left, that's one thing; if you've got a reasonable shot, might as well take it.

Unless you’re the Jets.  

• Like 2

I will be curious to see the long term future of Tyson Bagent and Tommy DeVito in the league.  The best case long term scenario for both is that they both become decent backups who can play decently to keep their team in games if they need to start, ala Gardner Minshew.  They will probably end up being the new generation of Film Study QBs (QBs who suck so bad in the field of play but are fantastic in the QB room, but for some reason are not QB coaches), because the NFL will never get rid of that type of QB.  

Kyle Shanahan talking about Washington’s QB drafting strategy in 2012-

• Always wanted to draft two quarterbacks

• Originally wanted Ryan Tannehill at #6 and Russell Wilson in the middle rounds

• Kyle wanted Kirk Cousins in 2nd Round

• Washington traded up instead to get RG3 and waited for Kirk Cousins in the 4th round

On 11/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, BBTV said:

That's funny, considering the amount of borderline penalties called against the Eagles that allowed Dallas to drive all the way down the field at the end a few weeks ago - including a roughing the passer, that while technically legit, could easily have been let go and nobody would have complained.

Can’t believe you’re arguing that the Eagles aren’t the beneficiary of the officials while using a game that the officials made several egregious errors that directly contributed to the Eagles win. I’m not saying that the officials are betting on the Eagles or fixing games or anything like that, but it’s apparently they are getting the benefit of the whistle more often than they are being screwed over by the officials. 

I saw a fun stat today: the Eagles have the worst point differential of any 10-1 team since the 2012 Atlanta Falcons and have the 3rd worst DVOA (defensive adjusted value over average; in other terms, how good a team is over the average of that season) of any 10-1 team in the modern era. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

On 11/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, DCarp1231 said:

I’m not justifying this, but it appears the left side of his face could be red. Even then, why not do yellow & red?

This photo further emphasizes the conversation to be desperately had about the Kansas City Football Team.

According to his mom, the kid is part Native American.

Can I get a white people ruling on us breeds wearing Native American garb? Relax, I'm just kidding around.😎

BB52Big.jpg

As this is treading close to the line, just adding some more balanced thoughts here then moving on.  Won't be offended if this gets modded. 

She also said that his face was black and red, because those were the Chiefs colors.  Some idiot on Deadspin (which I'm not too familiar with, but based on what I've been reading the past 24 hours, seems to be the absolute worst thing in the world and shouldn't count as journalism) is claiming that it's worse, as it's blackface and redface, which is absolutely absurd.  It's just a questionable choice, but neither of those things.  As the CCSLC Arbiter of Cultural Sensitivity, I think it's fine to at least bring it into question, as it could lead to others (who are not of Native descent) being like "woah, that's cool - Imma dress up and take it to a whole other level".  Or not.

blackface-kid.jpg

Regardless, looks like the Chiefs are reacting - somewhat appropriately, somewhat problematically:

Here are a few of those still-recent updates, straight from the KC website:

• While we have discouraged fans from wearing headdresses for several years, effective immediately, fans will be prohibited from wearing headdresses into the stadium.
  • Face painting is still allowed for all fans, but any face paint that is styled in a way that references or appropriates American Indian cultures and traditions will be prohibited.
  • Fans will be asked to remove any American Indian-themed face paint prior to passing security screening outside the stadium.
  • We are engaged in a thorough review process of the Arrowhead Chop and plan to have additional discussions in the future.

(bold added by me, as this is the problematic part).  They're going to (presumably) have regular schmoes deciding if the paint is appropriate or not.  Gee... there's no way that can go wrong.  

Honestly, IMHO adults painting their faces for sport games is just ridiculous (though if it works for you, then that's fine.)  It's a "look at me and how big a fan I am - AHHHHHHHHHH GO TEAM!!!!!!" thing.  For kids it's different - let them have fun with it.  But as a former stadium employee, I wouldn't want to be the guy that tells a kid to wash it off - or even to have to make a borderline decision.

I think this is a pretty fair and balanced assessment of it:
https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/11/adding-some-nuance-to-the-stupid-chiefs-kid-blackface-story.html

Anyway... I think it's settled - I'm going back to laughing at people claiming that the Eagles are getting the benefit of all the referee calls, which is still the silliest thing I've read on these boards since Tnak choked on his own chicken.  It's basically "team is always good, so they're cheating", like how some of us joke about KC always having home games.  The only actual regular cheaters are the Steelers, and the video-taping Patriots (I couldn't care less about how big or how deflated Tom Brady's balls were.)  Oh... and the Cowboys, who were the benefit of what was honestly (no hyperbole) the worst call I've ever seen:

No clear fumble recovery:  There were four Eagles around the ball, and zero  Cowboys.  The replay people said they couldn't confirm that the Eagles got the ball, and the refs announced that it was a fumble, but no clear recovery by the Eagles.  GTFO. 

DuBEWUtUUAEJeru.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

KC's had those rules for a few years now and I don't recall any shots of headdresses or redblackface in Arrowhead since. That kid was at a game in LV, where's the Raiders' statement?

Is there really a need for the Raiders to make a statement on a five year old Native American kid wearing a headdress at a football game? If NA people aren't allowed to wear them then who is?

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm going back to laughing at people claiming that the Eagles are getting the benefit of all the referee calls, which is still the silliest thing I've read on these boards since Tnak choked on his own chicken.  Oh... and the Cowboys, who were the benefit of what was honestly (no hyperbole) the worst call I've ever seen:

No clear fumble recovery:  There were four Eagles around the ball, and zero  Cowboys.  The replay people said they couldn't confirm that the Eagles got the ball, and the refs announced that it was a fumble, but no clear recovery by the Eagles.  GTFO. 

DuBEWUtUUAEJeru.jpg

Wasn’t this from a Cowboys-Eagles game years ago?? Malcom Jenkins hasn’t played for the Eagles since 2019.

So you’re doing a whataboutism and referencing a game that happened last decade as an example of how the Eagles are actually not Steelers-esque in getting beneficial officiating this season?

Lmao, c’mon my man. If I wasn’t in phone I’d post countless screenshots of penalties and bad decisions by the refs that have benefited the Eagles

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

31 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Is there really a need for the Raiders to make a statement on a five year old Native American kid wearing a headdress at a football game? If NA people aren't allowed to wear them then who is?

No, just like there's no need for the Chiefs to make one or for anyone to expect such a thing

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Also, it’s a five year old or at the very least, a young boy who can’t be older than 10. Shouldn’t kids get a little slack before their life gets screwed up permanently?

Yea, but his parents should have the common sense to see that’s not in good taste in the slightest.