2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

9 hours ago, dont care said:

Maybe if 3 asteroids take out Cincinnati, Baltimore, and Cleveland at the same time, otherwise the Steelers are going to be fighting for last place.

Cincinnati is the Mark Sanchez Jets: 2 and done

2 AFC CG's and that's it

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Huh? 1

Just now, Unocal said:

Cincinnati is the Mark Sanchez Jets: 2 and done

2 AFC CG's and that's it

They have a great QB and a great receiver corps and a great defense and a coach that doesn't step on his dick.

Plus they've already made a Super Bowl.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, Glover said:

by week 12 fans will finally admit Deshaun isn't worth his contract.

There's people that think he is worth his contract?  Take his conduct out of the picture and it's still an absurd contract.  I assumed that even Browns fans knew right away that the odds were it'll end up being an albatross around their neck.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Speaking of contracts, neither Saquon Barkley nor Josh Jacobs reached extension deals with their current clubs, and both are threatening to hold out during training camp and possibly sit out the upcoming season. While we're discussion the fate/state of RBs, this season also happens to be Derrick Henry's last on his current contract.

Next offseason could be bery bery interesting on the RB market...whatever that'll be, because right now the rub is there isn't one. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Running backs are dummies. I'm not sure what they expect in this day and age.  I get that being propped up by being a 1st round pick by a dumb team can cloud your sense of your value, but they're just not worth it.

Every year, some jabroni or jabronis that make no money tend to break out and look great - whether because of an OL, great play calling, or their own talent (most likely a combo of each) but are cooked by their next contract. 

The Eagles, generally regarded as a "not dumb, probably pretty smart" team, let Miles Sanders go for a $6.5M AAV deal ($13M guaranteed, so basically a 2 year deal) with Carolina (an "average intelligence" team) and backfilled him with a RB room that makes combined less than $6.5M (DeAndre Swift, Rashaad Penny,  Kenneth Gainwell, Boston Scott, etc).  For $6.5M, which would you rather have?  An above-average-but-not-great RB like Sanders, or 4 guys who have each had success in one way or the other in the league?  Seems pretty clear to me.

Opportunity cost is also important, and is another thing that separates dumb teams from average-intelligent teams from smart teams.  In the cap era, can you really invest $10M on one guy at a position that isn't really valued anymore?  Again, just sticking in the NFC East, the Eagles were able to get Hurts on a win/win deal where he's getting paid and the team still has the cap space to do whatever... within some limits.  By choosing to not pay RBs, they were able to keep most of their good FAs and have a roster that is probably at worst top 3 in the league again.  Conversely, dumb teams like the Giants and Dallas have tons wrapped up in players that just don't matter that much (and in Dallas' case, a QB that is ass.)

I don't blame any player for holding out for every dime they can get.  Each game could be their last, and the money is there for them so go get paid.  I don't begrudge anyone for that.  But reason needs to prevail at some point, and expecting to get more than $20M guaranteed seems unreasonable when teams have complete rooms that are just as good and cost $6M.  Barkley is certainly better than Sanders, but with RBs, the difference isn't as dramatic as it used to be back in the '80s or early '90s.  Neither one is worth what they're getting.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Early predictions anyone?

AFC

EAST

1. Miami

2. Buffalo- WC

3. NY Jets- WC

4. New England

NORTH

1. Cincinnati

2. Baltimore

3. Cleveland

4. Pittsburgh

WEST

1. Kansas City

2.  LA Chargers- WC

3.  Denver

4. Las Vegas

SOUTH

1. Jacksonville

2. Tennessee

3. Indianapolis

4. Houston

NFC

EAST

1. Philadelphia

2. Dallas 

3. NY Giants

4. Washington

NORTH

1. Detroit 

2. Minnesota- WC

3. Chicago

4. Green Bay

WEST

1. San Francisco

2.  LA Rams- WC

3.  Seattle- WC

4. Arizona

SOUTH

1. New Orleans

2. Atlanta 

3. Carolina

4. Tampa Bay

PLAYOFFS

AFC

Cincinnati gets bye

KC over NY Jets

Jacksonville over Buffalo

LA Chargers over Miami

Cincinnati over LA Chargers

Jacksonville over KC

Cincinnati over Jacksonville

NFC

Philly gets bye

San Francisco over Seattle

Detroit over LA Rams (Stafford's return to Detroit results in the Lions' first playoff win in forever)

New Orleans over Minnesota

Philly over New Orleans

San Francisco over Detroit

Philly over San Francisco

SUPERBOWL

Cincinnati over Philadelphia

• Love 1
  • Hate 1

sig.png

18 hours ago, BBTV said:

There's people that think he is worth his contract?  Take his conduct out of the picture and it's still an absurd contract.  I assumed that even Browns fans knew right away that the odds were it'll end up being an albatross around their neck.

Some are gold medalists in the mental gymnastics with how they justify his contract. They'll say the Browns were never going to cut him and any contract he was given he would end up with seeing all the money anyway, so why not just make it completely guaranteed? Or they'll say that is just the price of a franchise QB, and they rarely become available. 

I say it is a desperate short-sighted move from a desperate, QB-hungry franchise who is tired of being the laughing stock. So...naturally this move once again made them the laughing stock AND they got some bad PR for their troubles. 

• Like 1

T1oYViW.png

On 7/18/2023 at 7:07 AM, BBTV said:

Running backs are dummies. I'm not sure what they expect in this day and age.  I get that being propped up by being a 1st round pick by a dumb team can cloud your sense of your value, but they're just not worth it.

Every year, some jabroni or jabronis that make no money tend to break out and look great - whether because of an OL, great play calling, or their own talent (most likely a combo of each) but are cooked by their next contract. 

The Eagles, generally regarded as a "not dumb, probably pretty smart" team, let Miles Sanders go for a $6.5M AAV deal ($13M guaranteed, so basically a 2 year deal) with Carolina (an "average intelligence" team) and backfilled him with a RB room that makes combined less than $6.5M (DeAndre Swift, Rashaad Penny,  Kenneth Gainwell, Boston Scott, etc).  For $6.5M, which would you rather have?  An above-average-but-not-great RB like Sanders, or 4 guys who have each had success in one way or the other in the league?  Seems pretty clear to me.

Opportunity cost is also important, and is another thing that separates dumb teams from average-intelligent teams from smart teams.  In the cap era, can you really invest $10M on one guy at a position that isn't really valued anymore?  Again, just sticking in the NFC East, the Eagles were able to get Hurts on a win/win deal where he's getting paid and the team still has the cap space to do whatever... within some limits.  By choosing to not pay RBs, they were able to keep most of their good FAs and have a roster that is probably at worst top 3 in the league again.  Conversely, dumb teams like the Giants and Dallas have tons wrapped up in players that just don't matter that much (and in Dallas' case, a QB that is ass.)

I don't blame any player for holding out for every dime they can get.  Each game could be their last, and the money is there for them so go get paid.  I don't begrudge anyone for that.  But reason needs to prevail at some point, and expecting to get more than $20M guaranteed seems unreasonable when teams have complete rooms that are just as good and cost $6M.  Barkley is certainly better than Sanders, but with RBs, the difference isn't as dramatic as it used to be back in the '80s or early '90s.  Neither one is worth what they're getting.

The NFL might as well stand for National Flag Football League.

• Applause 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Facepalm 1

Same energy as the janitor demanding better treatment or they'll leave. There are a lot of unemployed former college football players who could put on a set of pads and run for 800 yards. It's not the 90s anymore 

Spoiler

no matter how much I wish that would still be the case. 

2 hours ago, dont care said:

You would think they’d have learned from Bell that sitting out is the worst decision you could make. The fact of the matter is rb’s are the most disposable position on a team

And RBs aren't QBs. They rust while they're out. They're not like QBs that are like you're saving the engine for future use. It's amazing the difference in performance after any time away from the game (usually injury) between a running back and a QB. You take a runner (even a running QB) and sideline them for a while and they always come back slower. There is no advantage to sitting.  Rodgers could've sat out a  year and gotten the same deal the next year. And probably would perform almost exactly the same. Some might think even better with a year of rest (a la Vick).

It's just the sad reality today. And the reality is that most of the RB production is from the line and the RB works as long as they know where the hole is (Trent Richardson notwithstanding).

On 7/17/2023 at 8:17 PM, BBTV said:

He's the reason I gave up my season tickets. I sold off all my 2022 games because it was too late in the offseason to get rid of the tickets. But I told the team he was the reason I gave up my seats. I take my daughter to games. I wasn't going to sit there and cheer for him as the team decided to make him the highest paid player and face of the franchise (and before anyone mentions Hunt, he took a cheap deal for the team in his hometown and the whole time has shown contrition for his actions that led him to being out in KC from the very moment we signed him). 

Oh well. When he's off the team I might get season seats again.

15 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

And RBs aren't QBs. They rust while they're out. They're not like QBs that are like you're saving the engine for future use. It's amazing the difference in performance after any time away from the game (usually injury) between a running back and a QB. You take a runner (even a running QB) and sideline them for a while and they always come back slower. There is no advantage to sitting.  Rodgers could've sat out a  year and gotten the same deal the next year. And probably would perform almost exactly the same. Some might think even better with a year of rest (a la Vick).

It's just the sad reality today. And the reality is that most of the RB production is from the line and the RB works as long as they know where the hole is (Trent Richardson notwithstanding).

The NFL has turned into a 7-on-7 drill. Might as well bring back the Run and Shoot. Hell, Warren Moon could still throw for 3000 yards nowadays

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Washington Commanders fans today if the NFL approves of the sale to Josh Harris:

They should be careful what they wish for. Harris was the one who hired Hinkie to initiate “the process”, then essentially abandoned that team to go buy more toys, and is now involved in a war against an entire community.