MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

59 minutes ago, M59 said:

Except, those aren't "last year's" game pants. They're All Star Game Pants in the current template. Look at the Phillies photo posted by BBTV for pocket placement on pants in the "old" template.

These pockets are in pretty much the same location as the new template.

Orioles take home numerous accolades at Sporting News 2023 MLB Awards |  WBAL Baltimore News

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

First the Batterman logo on the back of the jerseys was embroidered and beautiful, and the player name had quality letters and the front script had the same kind of quality we see on new era caps.

then came the first step backwards: batterman logo was now shiny plastic, and the player name and front script went to kiss cut style, no more layered twill...... but the price remained the same, sky high.

Okay, then here come these monstrosities, flat boring plastic batterman logo, even lower quality twill scrips, and the team logos on the sleeve (the front on the Blue Jays) are now flat as a pancake.... and you also put the batterman logo under the neckline/piping on the jersey..
+ the price is now insane.
just an unbelievable degrade over the past 8-9 years!

• Like 1

Overseas counterfeiters: "Oh crap; didn't see this coming. Our stuff looks too good now."

Visually, it's the name/numbers that really get me. Those scream "counterfeit" to me.  But it's all terrible and going ultra cheap on the field and for outrageously priced fan products is just a bad look in so many wayst.

Question. Would you rather have:

1. Previous quality fabrics, stitching, etc. with ads
  2. This garbage material but with no ads?

I'd take #2.  The "Quickrete" patch is still the cheapest-looking part of Atlanta's uniform. And while that might be the worst add, I think they're all tasteless. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Fabric weight seems to be an underlying theme with every apparel innovation Nike introduces into the organized sports world. And I can see how that has made a difference in American football and maybe even soccer. 

But was this ever a complaint in baseball? Were players actively saying, "man, I'd play so much better if we could only get rid of all this embroidery."  It's the same in the NBA. I don't think polyester and tackle twill ever held a player back from greatness.

All of these uniform innovations feel like solutions in search of a problem. 

• Like 10

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:
  • I really don't think the smaller player names look bad at all. If anything, I think it illuminates that the former player names were at least a bit too big.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the size, although the size is causing finer details to get really messed up.

The thing that's messing with me is the odd arching.  It feels like all the names are being kerned over the same space and arc and it looks like it doesn't fit with the numbers AT ALL in many instances.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Fabric weight seems to be an underlying theme with every apparel innovation Nike introduce into the organized sports world. And I can see how that has made a difference in American football and maybe even soccer. 

But was this ever a complaint in baseball? Were players actively saying, "man, I'd play so much better if we could only get rid of all this embroidery."  It's the same in the NBA. I don't think polyester and tackle twill ever held a player back from greatness.

Totally agree

This might sound stupid, but I've always just assumed that baseball unis were thicker so it would protect the players when sliding or diving. I would think a thinner sleeker uniform might cause some more boo boos 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Fabric weight seems to be an underlying theme with every apparel innovation Nike introduce into the organized sports world. And I can see how that has made a difference in American football and maybe even soccer. 

If anything, I’ve always felt that buttons & belts are what’s most cumbersome and intrusive against player performance (particularly when sliding/diving). I’m surprised Nike didn’t push harder to get rid of those elements (or maybe they did, who knows). 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

If anything, I’ve always felt that buttons & belts are what’s most cumbersome and intrusive against player performance (particularly when sliding/diving). I’m surprised Nike didn’t push harder to get rid of those elements (or maybe they did, who knows). 

BRING. 👏 THEM. 👏 BACK! 👏 🤣

spacer.png 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Dislike 1

...and the upside helmet logos???

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because they're stripped down from the original design.

Right on. These were designed to go along the monument wordmarks. Recycling this font by taking away the bevels and try to match it with a totally different uniform design with regular script wordmarks is lazy and awful.

1*UViD-hi1mH9DfJC9vg-tWQ.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is overreacting. Based on the photos I'm seeing, this is a total disaster. These jerseys look cheap and counterfeit in every photo. And I don't like the reduced size NOBs from  the Marlins' photos. Reminds me of those children's jerseys.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Right on. These were designed to go along the monument wordmarks. Recycling this font by taking away the bevels and try to match it with a totally different uniform design with regular script wordmarks is lazy and awful.

1*UViD-hi1mH9DfJC9vg-tWQ.jpeg

I think this was a uniform that would've benefitted from NOT having a front number. Here's a really quick edit (seriously, didn't have much time) in AI.

old-nats-uni-number-comp.png

• Like 3

Dumbfounded that Nike gets away with charging 200-250% more for authentic “vapor elite” jerseys than Majestic, just a few years ago, charged for the “flex base” authentics. Plus, the low number these are actually available is astonishing.

• Like 1