2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

40 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'm seeing some people having a fit over "Utah hockey club" not realizing it's temporary. 🙄

It feels like a combination of people with no media literacy that think it's the permanent name, and people who were expecting them to have an actual name right away, even if they were wearing temporary jerseys.

I don't see why they couldn't just have said, "these are our logos & jerseys for the first season, a name will be announced later this summer". They seem to have all the names trademarked, and there's no reason why they need to drag out the name voting beyond the next couple of months.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It feels like a combination of people with no media literacy that think it's the permanent name, and people who were expecting them to have an actual name right away, even if they were wearing temporary jerseys.

I don't see why they couldn't just have said, "these are our logos & jerseys for the first season, a name will be announced later this summer". They seem to have all the names trademarked, and there's no reason why they need to drag out the name voting beyond the next couple of months.

The way I have interpreted SEG's PR statements is they are going to be "Utah Hockey Club" now, but will take on the name as soon as they secure the copyrights (which could be mid season), with the branding to follow for the next season. Smith's wife has said she wanted the team to have a name when Oct comes around.

Since there is no logo on their jerseys, they could even update that mid-season (for centre ice and general graphics)

The Lightning updated their branding mid season before they officially switched over to their "Leafs lite" look

• Like 1

Curved hems should have been dumped a long time ago...  The only reason they exist in the first place is because the original Reebok jerseys were meant to be tucked.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, officeglenn said:

🤷‍♂️ I mean, the same ownership group just released uniforms that their basketball team won't wear until 2025-26, so anything is possible.

And also released a uniform scheme that revolves around a mid-season switcheroo.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 1:13 PM, Nordiks_19 said:

I'd be happier if they changed the unnecessarily large collar

No reason they can't fix both.  It'd be nice if they gave teams the option of using traditional styled collars from the CCM era.  Neither Reebok nor Adidas improved upon them IMO.  The Reebok lace-up was the closest.

On 6/14/2024 at 12:00 PM, gosioux76 said:

The gnashing of teeth over the uniqueness of the color scheme is about as premature as being annoyed by the boring name and jersey design.

I would be shocked if they didn't include a tertiary color — most likely, as most of you have said, some shade of purple — when they unveil the eventual permanent branding. We're seeing an intentionally watered-down placeholder look here. Why wouldn't that also include the full color scheme?

It seems like a pretty obvious formula they're following: Keep it obnoxiously basic so the eventually branding reveal has more impact. 

People haven't forgotten what happened last time this owner took over a team and did a rebrand. It's entirely possible that the real branding will be only marginally less boring than the placeholder.

The Jazz's course correction was only possible because of the decades of history and brand equity they had to pull from, courtesy of Larry Miller, who had a much better eye for aesthetics and branding than Ryan Smith - which is ironic since corporate branding is a fundamental part of Qualtrics' business, but I digress. The hockey team doesn't have that luxury, so there's less reason for optimism. When they can't even settle on a name in time for their first season like every other team has done, it probably doesn't bode well.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 6/14/2024 at 1:53 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I love the “Fanatizero” template name haha. 

I looks like from the Utah HC sweaters that they basically are dropping the dotted shoulders, but everything else should be the same. For at least a few years.

I do kinda hope that if Fanatics makes any changes in the next couple of years, that it would only really be with the collars, in making them a bit more traditional, so that we don’t have the Toilet bowl look anymore. (I mean teams haven’t really been using that design as much recently, which is a good thing)

On 6/14/2024 at 2:25 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I'd be happy if Fanatics finally dumped curved hems.

On 6/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, Nordiks_19 said:

I'd be happier if they changed the unnecessarily large collar

From what I've been allowed to see from the jersey team at work. I would describe the collars as more traditional, but they're not going back to the pre-edge collars if that makes sense. I haven't seen a full jersey yet (or been technically allowed to) so I can't say how the hems look with any certainty. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

From what I've been allowed to see from the jersey team at work. I would describe the collars as more traditional, but they're not going back to the pre-edge collars if that makes sense. I haven't seen a full jersey yet (or been technically allowed to) so I can't say how the hems look with any certainty. 

So basically, still a lay flat collar for the players, but maybe less large, and less toilet bowl style?? 

• Hurl 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

So basically, still a lay flat collar for the players, but maybe less large, and less toilet bowl style?? 

That's a good way to put it. Haven't seen anything physical yet. I do know there are seams in the collar itself (so like the AdiZero collars) so the opportunity for a toilet bowl design would be there. I also haven't seen collar variants either. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

24 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

It's hard to believe they stuck with that crappy webbed D logo for nearly 20 years

And the Kings have been wearing the pencil logo in one form or another for almost the same length of time. Cup-winning nostalgia can be a strong deterrent to change.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)