College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

19 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Here's what I think Cal should wear..

Basically the uniforms from the 90's but maybe remove the white outline on the numbers on the blue jersey. Then add the Block C with the bear in the middle logo on the shoulders, like how Clemson has the paw logo on their shoulders. Then add a yellow jersey alternate and also a pair of white pants. That's a modern classic right there. 

Gallery_Football_RussellWhite_HOF.jpg?fo

FgvU4RWVQAIUMoq.jpg:large

337788.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017_06_02_at_3.04.05_AM.0.p

I wish they brought the bear paw back in a small way...either on the pants or a small decal on the back of the helmet or something. 

The late 2000s helmets were pretty neat with the metallic flake decals and the paw. Underrated set. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Yes, but they are not only wearing the navy blue jerseys with athletic golden pants. They are probably swapping around. Same with the navy blue helmets. They probably are going to utilize the several pants. So basically, it seems like trying out different combos, so that is why I figured their classic throwbacks are not used (sadly 😠) but they want to have as many combos they can use.

I get the need to have combos. It's just that they did use the navy-white-navy stripe on the helmet. It using a different stripe on a yellow back drop on two different mediums.

Which is different from how they did it with navy and white back drops. Why be consistent with stripes on blue and white mediums but not yellow?

19 hours ago, tBBP said:

That's the very definition of catalog order...which many of these new uniforms are. That's on the schools themselves, not necessarily Nike.

That said, the pendulum has fully swung back in the direction of traditional (as several of us predicted would happen). Such are design trends: they're cyclical. After a decade and a half of innovation culture beating us all over the head with all kinds of anthracite, highlighter, chrome and bronze accoutremente, reptile-skin patterns and all-black [and all-white] everything, traditional refreshes are cool again. (Not that they ever weren't, but still...)

Hit the nail on the head. A lot of these teams don’t have a contract with Nike directly and instead partner with teamwear providers like BSN Sports who essentially fulfill a catalog order. Two that I know of for sure include Cal and Cincinnati.

https://calbears.com/news/2023/1/11/athletics-news-cal-athletics-enters-into-new-partnership-with-nike.aspx

https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/12/11/general-cincinnati-athletics-announces-agreement-with-nike-inc-through-2029

For catalog uniforms, they are pretty decent. They’re much better than some teams who clearly have no apparel deal and have to pay for their own stuff.

———

Looks like we may be getting patches in the Aflac Kickoff Game in Atlanta. This year, Clemson plays Georgia.

Teams sometimes wore patches several years ago when it was sponsored by Chick-Fil-A but I think they’ve gone patchless the last few years.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks like we may be getting patches in the Aflac Kickoff Game in Atlanta. This year, Clemson plays Georgia.

Teams sometimes wore patches several years ago when it was sponsored by Chick-Fil-A but I think they’ve gone patchless the last few years.

Clemson is in the F.U.S.E. template. That may just be a patch slapped on an old jersey for the "promotional" event.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green27 said:

Not sure what is really different beyond changing the collar logo (first time we've seen the walking Deacon on the football uni, though the old angry Deacon logo was good). Edit: biggest change was the template. 

Wake Forest Demon Deacons College Football Preview 2023: Top Players, Keys,  What Will Happen - College Football News | College Football Predictions,  Analysis and Updates

• Like 2

Here’s Oregon’s second “Generation O” uniform and the first of the throwback-inspired ones:

Essentially a mashup that includes elements from every uniform 1994-1999 in some way. I’m disappointed that they’re only showing off this all-green combo today because they’ll have a white jersey in this same style and gold helmets/pants that’ll be mixed and matched with these. The Ducks will basically have two completely different sets this year, these retro-inspired ones that pay tribute to everything before the introduction of the “O” logo and then the hyper modern ones that mashup elements from 2000-onward.

• Like 15
  • Yawn 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

25 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s Oregon’s second “Generation O” uniform and the first of the throwback-inspired ones:

Essentially a mashup that includes elements from every uniform 1994-1999 in some way. I’m disappointed that they’re only showing off this all-green combo today because they’ll have a white jersey in this same style and gold helmets/pants that’ll be mixed and matched with these. The Ducks will basically have two completely different sets this year, these retro-inspired ones that pay tribute to everything before the introduction of the “O” logo and then the hyper modern ones that mashup elements from 2000-onward.

These are nice but not as nice as the actual 1994 throwbacks. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Agreed. This just kinda look more catalog-ey than I'm used to seeing for Oregon. They feel off.

this is what losing to the same team twice does to a team, except Utah, although they have blown a 21 point lead since

Wish I liked these more but the two very different sets, questionable design choices, and not releasing everything at once is zapping my enthusiasm and hype for them. I think they could have done a better job at creating one cohesive set by being more selective in which elements and eras they pulled from. They should have stuck to the 1999 to present era since that's what they sort of presented and marketed these uniforms as. The retro mashups just don't look as good without the true retro logos and stylings. The modern ones should have had more green & yellow on them. Feels like 2015 and 16 all over again.

• Like 2

It's actually kind of jarring how generic everything is this year. Is this really a surprise though? 

Would love to hear an industry expert tell me I am making sweeping accusations, but I wouldn't be shocked if there isn't a committed creative team at Nike like there has been in the past and more stuff is being pushed to catalog orders (or, quite literally, Nike pretending to give schools the sense they are getting special treatment but only producing certain types of options). 

Even the Oregon jersey is noticeably lacking the usual finer differentiators that they have always had on their uniforms to make it clear and obvious that the proprietary hand at the top of the totem pole at Nike was in the lab curating their uniform sets. 

I'm seeing so many of the same copy-paste designs. I think the Virginia Tech numbers are the only clear indicator of customization we have seen so far this cycle. 

• Like 4

I don't think this year's template designs are really all that different from year's passed. I can remember a bunch of nike teams wearing the exact same template with the crappy piping back in the mid 2000s, hell I think clemson and va tech used to wear the same uniforms save for the difference in color scheme/logo.

at least with this year, the templated designs are aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 4