Los Angeles Clippers Rebrand

CitizenTino

2 hours ago, cdreed said:

Agreed... Very surprising when they had spent the last few years seemingly courting an inner city-style look and are now moving even more inner city to Inglewood. 

Plus the Lakers are perhaps the preppiest team in the league. Trying to out-prep them feels like a shift from winning over the living, breathing Los Angeles community to trying to poach some of that Lakers-dominant Hollywood market. 

Maybe they can pull it off with the new arena and some on-court success, but that's a tall, tall order for a franchise with their history in my opinion.

@Conrad.’s update is gorgeous. I agree with a lot of what has been said. I like the return of the classic script. My biggest gripe is the weighting of the ship being too heavy at the bottom. I didn’t even notice the sails until taking a closer look. It definitely looks more like a battleship or cruise ship. Making the sails bigger and the hull smaller would go a long way. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

There's a lot to like here, for sure, but I would have preferred royal blue, and I don't think the clipper ship (that is also a basketball) reads much like any kind of ship. To me, it looks a little like a beehive.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"The Clippers have used black jerseys before but opted to scrap that look for now. "We kept hearing from people that black was overdone," Zucker said."

I guess this is the reason why they switch from blue to navy, because navy is a compromise color between Clippers who fell in love with black and fans who weren't.

• Like 5

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, GFB said:

via @Conrad.

spacer.png

• Like 1

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I can't lie... I'm really impressed with what the Clippers have done. The only misses are the Primary logo and the color scheme. I say the logo, because I think they could've chosen something with some more visual interest to illustrate what a "clipper" is; I agree with what others have said in that regard (and another roundel, yawn). As far as the color scheme, I wish they had gone a bit more vibrant, maybe going light blue and red-orange would've really separated themselves from the rest of the league.

Other than that, I think this ranks as one of the better rebrands in recent memory. The wordmarks, the LA monogram really flow well, the uniforms are solid and simple. I really like these for them.

3 hours ago, AstroCree said:

I just noticed, is the bottom of the ship suppose to be a basketball? The NBA still has that (honestly silly) rule about having a basketball somewhere on the logo, right? 

3 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Yes and yes

Ehhhh ... I don't know?

I believe in the past the main logo had to have one. But, now ... I think a basketball has to be in one of the logos within the whole logo package? Newer logos like Cleveland, Golden State, San Antonio, etc. don't have a basketball within their main logos., but do within alternates, etc.

With that said, the ship ball logo is a bit too much in my opinion. It just feels forced.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I guess this is the reason why they switch from blue to navy, because navy is a compromise color between Clippers who fell in love with black and fans who weren't.

Navy blue is also way overdone though. One of the most enduring consequences of 90s/00s sports design has been teams replacing their classic royal blue color schemes with duller navy blue.

Great rebrand overall, though. Did a great job of creating a simple, bold design without slipping into the oversimplification that plagued the Jazz rebrand.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Navy blue is also way overdone though. One of the most enduring consequences of 90s/00s sports design has been teams replacing their classic royal blue color schemes with duller navy blue.

Agreed. We'll now probably see a swing back to royal blue hues in the next 3-5 years. Something I'd welcome because Navy blue just seems too formal, serious and stale.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Now that we see the complete package, there are some really good parts to this, and some that are not at all.

The logo is technically sound, but as already said, is very drab and totally misses the mark while looking dated at that. It just... exists. Too many things crammed into one resulting in less than the sum of its parts. A forgettable placeholder. Very similar effect to when the Timberwolves redesigned their primary logo dropping much of its swagger, only that this doesn't have any to begin with and falls into the most irrelevant depths of NBA logos.

What's worse, the logo, along with the use of colors, makes the court look inexcusably dull, which doesn't fit an LA team at all.

The compass makes the ship look like being in a target, and I don't know if the partial C logo is meant to also resemble some hooks, but either way, it is an unappealing letter logo.

The main blue color for the uniforms should've been the lighter blue, and it's used way too little. Light blue number outlines would've made a big difference at least. The waistband monogram patches are also somewhat off, the color application should've been done differently. Also, I would've better made a graphic pattern of the nautical flags on the side panels of the red jersey, instead of just plastering them on separately with outlines like that. 

I think the new logo should've been based on the sails, even in an abstract way similarly to how it was done in the retro San Diego logo. That would've suited LA more and kept some of the needed flare.

All in all, the updated script wordmarks and the monogram are on point, the color palette works – if only the navy was relegated to a secondary role in favor of the lighter blue – as well as the uniforms with some little tweaks and an added emphasis on the lighter blue.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

I just realized something. Officially, the team name is currently the "LA Clippers."

This logo says "Los Angeles Clippers." Are they officially changing to the full city name?

I know I keep saying this, but everything about the Ballmer-era branding has felt like them trying to galaxy-brain their way into a hypermodern brand, and I guess it didn't work out the way they thought it would. The "LA" thing, the black jerseys, the weird minimalism, the street-tough look... all gone in favor of something fairly traditional. Doesn't seem to match the usual Ballmer instincts so I can't help but think that there must be a pile of data suggesting that all the contemporary cleverness didn't quite land.

Meanwhile, Ryan Smith has been left behind on the dock, bereft and confused.