Los Angeles Clippers Rebrand

CitizenTino

16 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

This is really nice. My only complaint is not bringing back the San Diego colors. I know there's a touch of powder blue here and there but it doesn't stand out enough.

The best part is finally having a real logo for the first time since... 1982. Holy crap, this was long overdue.

Random observation, but the overall look reminds me of the Twins' uniforms. Specifically the number font and how the color scheme is used.

As soon as I saw the white jersey I was reminded of the Twins’ current look. Not a bad thing. 

29 minutes ago, Telemundo219 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So with the powder blue and grey backgrounds, is there any reason to believe either of those will eventually be the base for an alternate, or is it just to see what the navy blue script looks like on them? I know the powder blue is a trim color. Is there any grey in the new scheme?

• Like 2

It's better, but the forcing of the basketball design on top of a ship being forced into a compass is just too much. 

This league's biggest problem is still having universal rules for logo suites, it's sapping it of creativity. This logo feels like it is trying to hit a checklist more than it is thoughtfully designed. 

I hate it, I just hate it way less than whatever the crap they had previously was.

• Like 1

anything is infinitely better than what they’ve had for the past years. i like the old school look. the logo looks kinda amateur-ish in my opinion but again, anything is better than what they’ve had. my only actual gripe is the use of navy. looks way too much like what the 76ers have been doing in recent years. and i’ve always said navy has been taking over the league just as much as black. it’s like a double edged sword

Edited by pelicanfan
  • Like 2

IMG-7122.gif

The Clippers have done something I never thought they would do and that is lean into the team name for imagery. The actual logo has a damn ship in it. It's a miracle. The uniforms are great too.

For being the butt of jokes among NBA fans, they aren't jokes when it comes to their brand, they deserve props for this.

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

29 minutes ago, bbush24 said:

The logo is a big miss for me. I'm just so tired of roundels. The NBA already has a problem with an ever increasing corporatized templated feel. All these new logos having the same style doesn't help.

I could do with fewer roundels in the NBA, but I think this is one instance where it makes sense with the design.

The Clippers have also had a roundel in some form for almost their entire franchise history except for a few years in Buffalo, so there's some continuity there.

Looking at the league as a whole, I think the worst offenders are the Rockets, Pacers, and Bucks for awkwardly shoehorning their existing logos into a circle, and the Pistons, Raptors, and Sixers for just being boring.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Per Uni-Watch:

Interestingly, Nike did not create the team’s new look. Much of the preliminary work was done by the Brooklyn sports branding agency Doubleday & Cartwright, with sports designer Matthew Wolff and the team’s internal design staff also involved. Nike and the league were essential partners that helped to provide oversight and big-picture guidance for the project.

Not a surprise to see either of those names having contributed to this.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

This is really nice. My only complaint is not bringing back the San Diego colors. I know there's a touch of powder blue here and there but it doesn't stand out enough.

This was my first thought, too. 

Not only do I think of the Twins when I see this, which is fine, but I also think of the Washington Wizards, which was easily avoidable. 

I think the mix of colors in the rebrand is great, they’re just leading with the wrong blue. 

This should be an aqua and red team with navy accents. 

7 minutes ago, NickSixers said:

Per Uni-Watch:

Well, that explains why it looks like the Twins' rebrand - it's the same designer.

Wolff seems to have a particular style. I also noticed that several of the soccer team logos he's designed have Art Deco-style typography that's very much in the same vein as the Clippers' new text font.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

14 minutes ago, NickSixers said:

Per Uni-Watch:

Wolff's page for each design is nice.  Lets each logo breathe.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Not only do I think of the Twins when I see this, which is fine, but I also think of the Washington Wizards, which was easily avoidable. 

I disagree. The Wizards are primarily red, the Clippers are primarily navy, and the uniform designs are so radically different that I doubt anyone will confuse them. The current Wizards uniforms overlapped with the Hawks' navy and red era and nobody confused those either.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

2 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I disagree. The Wizards are primarily red, the Clippers are primarily navy, and the uniform designs are so radically different that I doubt anyone will confuse them. The current Wizards uniforms overlapped with the Hawks' navy and red era and nobody confused those either.

Right. At least they aren’t black and red! That’s like a quarter of the league right there. 

Growing up in Utah as a Jazz homer, I was the only Clippers fan I knew for decades — until they got good and they got good. I became a fan in the days of Danny Manning, Charles Smith and Gary Grant for a plethora of reasons. Mainly, So Cal was a home away from home for me. I had tons of family in Orange County and they all mostly hated the Lakers.

It was natural to root for the Clippers so I did too (along with the Jazz).

That said … I love this rebrand. Not crazy about the C-ship logo. But, this is the Clips. Makes excited for the move and I can’t wait to catch a game in the Intuit Dome. Should be great.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I really like these, but feel like there was a missed opportunity to do a homage to the inaugural Clippers script from 82-87 with the alternate "C" logo on that alternate.  Also not a huge fan of the choice to go with no outlines on the scripts or numbers. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

This rebrand feels so opposite of a normal Steve Ballmer decision in that it's very restrained and traditionally-inspired, but there's no question that these are an upgrade. The script's return is a big win.

• Like 3

spacer.png