Los Angeles Clippers Rebrand

CitizenTino

21 hours ago, GFB said:

On the negative side, I don't care for the heavy reliance on navy/nautical blue. It's a design choice that makes sense in the context of the direction, but the Clippers have been tied to light blue and royal blue for so long and the darker blue isn't clicking for me. Even the almost entirely navy blue court and logos are giving me flashbacks of Nautica or a knock-off Tommy Hilfiger:

nautica-app.jpg

main-qimg-51ae109dca27608466732e4a332c5a 

l.jpg

Called it...

23 hours ago, tBBP said:

I don't love the darkening of the blue, but if they were insistent on including the Pacific Blue, I can see why they did it. (Truth be told, they probably also did it for apparel merchandising, too...it's much easier to pair navy-ish sports gear with everyday casual clothing than it is royal blue or other brighter colors.) I'm also not totally on board with the navy-and-white side panels on the red alternate jerseys...but I do love the idea of putting nautical flags down the sides of those panels. Got a little 2023 Memphis Grizzlies City edition vibe going on there. Oh, and since we're talking about City Edition, I'm willing to bet my next two paychecks that the first City Edition we see under the new brand will be on a pacific blue base--or at least include heavy dosages of it.

Oh and...

17 hours ago, GFB said:

via @Conrad.

THAT is NICE!

From having read about the focus groups and whatnot, it seems like Ballmer and their respondents really wanted to keep the red, which I understand. Visually, though, orange contrasts much better (I mean of course it does...blue and orange are complementary colors!). And that usage of Pacific Blue is way better! (I also believe @Conrad.'s mockup may predict the first City Edition we see under this new rebrand.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 hours ago, AstroCree said:

I just noticed, is the bottom of the ship suppose to be a basketball? The NBA still has that (honestly silly) rule about having a basketball somewhere on the logo, right? 

14 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Yes and yes

Yes, and NO:
Hawks.vresize.350.350.medium.0.png1200px-Atlanta_Hawks_logo.svg.png

1200px-Milwaukee_Bucks_logo.svg.png
800px-Chicago_Bulls_logo.svg.png

1200px-Memphis_Grizzlies.svg.png

1200px-Golden_State_Warriors_logo.svg.pn

houston-rockets-logo-A0AE68ACE6-seeklogo

Minnesota-Timberwolves-Logo-2008.jpg

(2009-2017)

• Like 1

It is what it is.

I don't recall ever hearing of a rule that has has to be a basketball.  But I think there is/was a rule that the full team name has to be included. (Though OKC doesn't quite get that done).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, B-Rich said:

1200px-Milwaukee_Bucks_logo.svg.png

Bucks have hidden basketball in an antlers.

Warriors, Grizzlies, Hawks and that Old Timberwolves have bball on their alternate logotypes.

That rule was introduced I believe back in 2015, so everything before was grandfathered. Although I don't know how Blazers made an makeover without bball in logo (Maybe that circle between lines is considering to be a basketball? I don't know).

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

Sorry for the confusion. The rule is that there has to be a logo somewhere in the logo package. It does not have to be the main logo.

AHawks_2nd_B.jpg     MGrizzlies_2nd_A.jpg     HRockets_Global.jpg     GSWarriors_2nd_B.jpg

And @pepis21 is correct that everything before the rule was grandfathered in. As far as the Blazers, I think theirs was technically considered a logo tweak and not a full rebrand.

• Like 4

These would have been absolutely perfect if they had been put in their current color scheme. The navy absolutely kills the look for me, especially with the roads. Takes them from a top 5 look to low teens to early 20s. Crazy how one bad decision can make that much of an impact.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I like the current logo, but I really enjoy this concept done by Twitter user @lolwtferic that emphasizes the proportions of a Clipper ship in a more traditional way. Well, it's great except for trying to cram the "LA" into the top sail at least.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

One of the things I saw regarding the creative brief for this rebrand was that the Clippers wanted to emphasize "upward, forward motion". That may in part explain why the clipper ship may be rendered as if you're looking at it head-on from a perspective point somewhat below the bow.

For whatever that may be worth...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 minutes ago, tBBP said:

One of the things I saw regarding the creative brief for this rebrand was that the Clippers wanted to emphasize "upward, forward motion". That may in part explain why the clipper ship may be rendered as if you're looking at it head-on from a perspective point somewhat below the bow.

Kinda silly, perhaps, but an infinitely better explanation than the one from the LA Clip Art unveiling. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henburg said:

I like the current logo, but I really enjoy this concept done by Twitter user @lolwtferic that emphasizes the proportions of a Clipper ship in a more traditional way. Well, it's great except for trying to cram the "LA" into the top sail at least.

Waaaay better. I think the sails would be better with straight edges, as this kind of gives off a pirate vibe. But it works better than the cruise liner. 

sig.png

On 2/26/2024 at 6:05 PM, GFB said:

via @Conrad.

It looks good, but feels a bit too OKCish.

On 2/27/2024 at 5:06 AM, ruttep said:

Navy blue is also way overdone though. One of the most enduring consequences of 90s/00s sports design has been teams replacing their classic royal blue color schemes with duller navy blue.

Great rebrand overall, though. Did a great job of creating a simple, bold design without slipping into the oversimplification that plagued the Jazz rebrand.

But most of the teams who switched to navy in the 90s/00s have since gone back to their royal roots. The Brewers, Patriots, and Seahawks are pretty much the only team who have stuck with it.

2 hours ago, henburg said:

Without the unnecessary basketball lines and that "LA" crammed into the sail, this is a better view on the structure of the logo. It only further shows, though, that this kind of a logo is totally unsuitable for the Los Angeles Clippers. They should've made a primary logo using their script wordmarks and focused on the sails alone as the symbol.

10 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

But most of the teams who switched to navy in the 90s/00s have since gone back to their royal roots. The Brewers, Patriots, and Seahawks are pretty much the only team who have stuck with it.

Fair point. I'd also count the Washington Capitals as a team that has continued to stick with navy (as their secondary color).

11 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Fair point. I'd also count the Washington Capitals as a team that has continued to stick with navy (as their secondary color).

That's true. Although I don't mind them sticking with navy as it helps differentiate them from Montreal a bit more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henburg said:

This looks like an emblem embossed on the button of a pair of blue jeans.

13 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Sorry for the confusion. The rule is that there has to be a logo somewhere in the logo package. It does not have to be the main logo.

AHawks_2nd_B.jpg     MGrizzlies_2nd_A.jpg     HRockets_Global.jpg     GSWarriors_2nd_B.jpg

And @pepis21 is correct that everything before the rule was grandfathered in. As far as the Blazers, I think theirs was technically considered a logo tweak and not a full rebrand.

So the Cavs got away with this?

22245842023.gif

I mean yeah we know it's supposed to be a basketball, but it's literally just a circle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

That might explain it, but it is giving bad "chinny" selfie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

So the Cavs got away with this?

22245842023.gif

I mean yeah we know it's supposed to be a basketball, but it's literally just a circle. 

28 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

Maybe the basketball net gives them points.

And preliminary Cleve-jacking has commenced.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1