San Diego Charger Uni changes?

webby17

I don't get that upset about it (at least not as much as some) but IMO using "we" makes you sound like a little kid dreaming of being on the team, not an adult who recognizes that the team is just a private organization (with one maybe two exceptions) of which you are a customer. Of course I feel the same way about adults who get team jerseys with their name on the back. Usually these are the same people who allow sports to play too big of a role in their lives, but that doesn't apply to everyone. I had a roommate who was a Redskins fan who when discussing football with me would talk like "you guys have a good line, but we have so-and-so, so we should beat you guys." That drove me nuts.

I am an employee of a team, and still don't use "we" when discussing them. We should be reserved for the uniformed players, coaches, and football-operations-related front-office personnel.

No matter how bad you want to be in that uniform and be one of the guys, you aren't now, and never will. Get over it. "You wouldn't make it in pro football." /mini rant.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

skyaa1 i would say yes we know it is yellowsd.png

Obviously I hadn't seen that when I posted the question...

The jersey would look a LOT better without the goofy white "wings" on the collar - that's what makes the shoulders look crowded.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

with all the die hard uniform conservatives out there, i don't any change any team makes will make everyone happy. while this may not be the greatest update, its the least atrocious compared to recent changes ie seahawks, bills, bengals, cardinals, vikings, sabres(the worst of them all), etc.

i agree with Icecap, its an overall solid update. the numbers don't bother me, i tend to like diversity in numbers as long as its legible and not crazy like some concepts i've seen a while back.

we need to let go of the past and progress in to the future, the days of teams looking like the packers, bears are long over. teams are going to opt to be more liberal with there uniforms, the days of conservative uniform design and updates are over. that said there is also a line where liberal design can turn in to something atrocious ie Sabres, bengals, bills.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

newlogo.jpg

uniform220.jpgThe Bolts' new look

While the Chargers' main colors stay the same – navy blue jerseys for home games, white for road games and powder blue for special games – the logo and uniforms will feature numerous changes for next season.

Logo: Will contain a gold lightning bolt outlined in powder blue and navy blue.

Jersey: New bolt logo wraps around, rather than over, each shoulder; uniform number moves from the bottom of the sleeve to the top of the shoulder; collar is rounded instead of V-neck.

Pants: Still white, but with a wider contoured stripe and newly designed bolt logo that winds from back to front.

Helmet: White helmets (not shown) are similar to those the team has worn with “throwback” powder blues. Players' numbers are in black on the back of the helmet, rather than the side.

hah at least when they officially reveal the uniforms to the people, ill be in line buying mine at the team store.

After having seen the full uni, they're not as bad as I originally pictured. But I still don't like them. I feel they are inferior to their classic design, regardless of the color or era.

And the bolt on the shoulders is driving me nuts. It's upside-down. Judging from the shaded pic of LT with the helmet on, it looks like the logo will still have the same arc and points as the traditional bolt.

It makes the unis inconsistent. The Chargers had one of the most consistent uni schemes in the league. Now they're just futuristic crap. Not an improvement.

I'm sick of hype and expectations and having garbage being delivered. If the Bolts fans have to deal with this kind of setback, it's time for the Raiders, Cheifs, Jets and Bears to have to be subject to it, too. Mutual destruction for everyone. :cursing:

The bolt on the helmet will be similar in design to the traditional helmet bolt, it will just have the new color scheme of gold outlined in powder blue, then navy blue.

Here's a shot of the new logo with bolt from the San Diego Union Tribune:

newlogo.jpg

Upon reading the descriptions of a white helmet with new color scheme of the bolt, but no mention of a facemask color. I think it's going to be navy blue. I did two versions of the new white helmets...

The blue facemask... (sorry for the messy bolt, didn't have time to clean it up)

chargersblue.jpg

And the yellow facemask...

chargersyellow.jpg

You can see the blue facemask is much much better than the yellow. I did this to get a better idea of the helmet on LT. Sorry LT fans, I had to block his head. <_<

choppedLT.jpg

I think it's an upgrade.

Looking at the total package, I think this update creates a new problem (3 different bolts on the sleeve, helmet, and pants) and fails to address an existing one (the standalone bolt is a weak primary logo.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

:therock::blink: I don't understand why people are so mad about these unis. I think the good not good to be called an update but as someone mentioned earlier, compare these two the unis of the Cardinals, Vikings, Bills, and Bengals(which I actually like) to these. These are less radical than any other of the recent updates we've seen. And let go of this tradition thing, we aren't in the 60's/70's/80's anymore. It's pretty boring when all teams look alike.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I did a quick n' dirty photoshop mock-up of what the alts might look like:

chargalt.jpg

:jawdrop: Those would be nice! (**)(**)

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I love the new design. I think the white helmet is great, and have the white shoulder panel ties everything in. Also if they have a solid-white set, it is gonna very much rock.

My only real issue is the way they worked powder blue into the scheme. It seems kind of arbitrary, and doesn't seem to fit. I think they should have either totally switched colors, or stuck with the navy and yellow.

Archived