Blue Jays Changes

pjinners

I love the new roads even more since they brought back some blue. Job well done. Hopefully a response to this design will prompt a similar change for the home unis.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the new 'Toronto' script and beveling...but I still like the old numbers better. I also wish they get rid of the ridiculous black hats. This set would have been so much better with a BLUE hat. I'd even compromise and let them have a black brim, just not all black.

They Didn?t Call It Exhibition Stadium for Nothing
There was a classic moment during yesterday?s press conference to unveil the Blue Jays? new road and alternate uniforms. It came when they trotted out old-timers Lloyd Moseby and John Mayberry to model the team?s new 1979 powder blue throwbacks, which will be worn for Friday home games. At one point Moseby was asked what it felt like when he first wore that uniform back in the day. The prop boy must not have been holding the cue cards high enough for Moseby to see, because instead of giving a scripted reply, he chose to ad lib: ?The uniform sucked, okay? So we ain?t gonna go there.?

:lol:

And that's why you keep the athletes as far away from the uni selections as possible.

And what's with Lukas badmouthing the classic Blue Jays uni? More like a minor league shirt? Get real, man. Not everything has to be button-down white at home, grey for roads.

I agree with his point - the throwback shirt, with centered logo, is more like a hockey sweater than anything else.

I always assumed that, to those who like that design, that was part of its charm.

Personally, I always hated that design. But nostalgia being what it is, I kind of like it now. Not as an everyday uniform, but as an interesting nod to a very distinctively styled past.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

OMG CHECK THIS OUT!!! THE BEVEL SHADOWS ON THE N OF JEREMY ACCARDO'S JERSEY IS REVERSED!!!!

AJW102120319_1024x768.jpg

I thought it looked out of place... :lol:

Compare it to Neon's high-res pictures above!

:P

This is awesome!

Good day to be a Blue Jays fan

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I don't think you'll find him saying that. Quite the contrary, in fact.

I agree with his point - the throwback shirt, with centered logo, is more like a hockey sweater than anything else.

So what is his point, that the retro blue jays shirt doesn't fit a prescribed norm in what a baseball shirt should look like?

And yeah, I thought the point was to resemble a hockey jersey - or at least that's the charm of it. Certainly a break from the monotony of baseball uni design.

6jxj9mp.png

For some reason, the HALLADAY jersey being sold at the Jays Shop in the Eaton Centre had a much higer arch... which I couldn't snag a pic of sadly. I did get pics though I will post soon. They look GREAT in person, but for some weird reason, the replicas DONT have the Jay logo on the sleve. I don't know why, but it was disapointing to see.

Replicas don't have sleeve logos.

Well that would explain it. Thats balls. It's weird though, they sold replica's with the 30th Anni patch on them as well as with the Tom Cheek and the other memorial patch. I guess I have just been so used to see it that I thought it was standard.

Hmmmm, really? I have Indians, Expos, Phillies, and Nationals replica home uniforms and I was basing my statement off of that. Hmmmm, it does seem a little weird that they would sell replicas with those commemorative patches on them, perhaps I will have to look into other replica uniforms to see if any of them have sleeve patches. I don't think they do though.

6jxj9mp.png

For some reason, the HALLADAY jersey being sold at the Jays Shop in the Eaton Centre had a much higer arch... which I couldn't snag a pic of sadly. I did get pics though I will post soon. They look GREAT in person, but for some weird reason, the replicas DONT have the Jay logo on the sleve. I don't know why, but it was disapointing to see.

Replicas don't have sleeve logos.

Well that would explain it. Thats balls. It's weird though, they sold replica's with the 30th Anni patch on them as well as with the Tom Cheek and the other memorial patch. I guess I have just been so used to see it that I thought it was standard.

Hmmmm, really? I have Indians, Expos, Phillies, and Nationals replica home uniforms and I was basing my statement off of that. Hmmmm, it does seem a little weird that they would sell replicas with those commemorative patches on them, perhaps I will have to look into other replica uniforms to see if any of them have sleeve patches. I don't think they do though.

I believe they sold replicas with the 30th patch here but they definately did not sell them with those memorial patches... Neon was just high off drinking from the Trent Canal

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I really like the new roads, but my goodness, has any team had more of an on-field identity crisis than the Blue Jays of the past 6 seasons? Hopefully they can settle in to a unified design based on the new roads for '09.

(and a graphite alternate)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How are the Blue Jays going to be able to wear the throwbacks on Friday nights at home? I thought the Royals had petitioned MLB to wear a full powder-blue set at home and were denied, which was why the Royals ended up only coming up with a powder-blue top. Does anyone know more about this?

I remember that. Maybe because it was a one-time thing? Now that the Blue Jays have officially made an all-powder look a full-time alt, maybe that makes a difference? Or maybe MLB is just blowing in the wind.

So, how long has it been since an official uni was a pullover? This has to be the first in a while that will be in regular use. (I know the White Sox had one scheduled for last season but they only used it once, although they had a couple of buttons.) I don't remember who was the last to get rid of the pullovers.

As far as the roads, I say upgrade, even with the mixed looks. At least that one jersey has a good amount of blue in it... too bad the Blue Jays didn't use the solid blue throwback cap, cause maybe they could have gotten away with taking the blue sleeves, etc., from the throwback set on the road and pair it with that cap. Still not a fan of that J-bird black cap. Or the black accents for the Jays in general.

I really like the new roads, but my goodness, has any team had more of an on-field identity crisis than the Blue Jays of the past 6 seasons?

You're right. The Rays have had a rough first 10 years, but the Jays might be the winners with that one-year T-bird look and now this random road and pullover throwback.

Boy I didn't realize how blue those uniforms back in the day were.

I like the new road though. Are they for sale yet?

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Boy I didn't realize how blue those uniforms back in the day were.

I like the new road though. Are they for sale yet?

Yup, both in store and online. Buy now and you get a 30% discount AND free shipping!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Well, for main road uniforms the Blue Jays have had

Gray Road with Toronto in blue w/ bluejay head in fornt of maple leaf on shoulder 97-2000

Gray Road Vest w/ Toronto in blue w/ blue sleeves - 2001-2003

Gray Road w/ toronto script in silver/graphite used 2004-2007

Current Road Gray with Toronto vertically arched in blue & black beveling 2008-??

so thats 4

The Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays have had

Gray Road w/ Tampa Bay in gradient rainbow 1998 - 2000

Gray Road w/ Tampa Bay in green 2000 - 2004

Gray Road w. Tampa bay green wordmark, now witha tail on the y 2005-2007

Gray Road with RAYS - 2008 - ??

They are tied.

I got curious, so I checked the Internet's foremost Toronto Blue Jays uniform resource - some off-the-wall site called sportslogos dot somethingorother - and came up with this:

Toronto Blue Jays - 1998-2008

Home uniforms: 5

Road uniforms (excluding unused graphite): 5

Alternate uniforms (excluding unused and Canada Day one-off): 8

Total uniforms: 18

Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays - 1998-2008

Home uniforms: 4 (gradient, '01 vest, '01 normal, '08)

Road uniforms: 4 (gradient, '01 vest, '01 normal, '08)

Alternate uniforms (excluding one-offs): 2 (black gradient, green)

Total uniforms: 10

By the way, I think the argument that the Blue Jays have been unable to cement a unified identity as of late can best be summed up in this uniform.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They may not have taken my advice this time...

But I will NEVER rest until the Graphite unis come back!

roadconcept2.gif

MWAHAHAHAHA! :P

I say you're passed out in your latkes by day 4, staying up, waiting for this to happen :)

Welcome to DrunjFlix

For what it's worth, my thoughts:

The Throwbacks: Excellent job on them. Even with the belt, it looks cool. Funny story: Back in 2006, when I was on a train to an A's game, someone had a Red Sox 1977 jersey (which was the pullover style). Now, since I am just a person who just loves 1980s stuff, and even some from the 1970s, I asked this: "Will this look ever return to baseball?" Slowly but surely, my question seems to be answered with a big 'yes'.

The new roadies: There is some blue in there- which is nice. But now the typeface doesn't even match the home suits! Make up your minds!

UBwef0L.png

How are the Blue Jays going to be able to wear the throwbacks on Friday nights at home? I thought the Royals had petitioned MLB to wear a full powder-blue set at home and were denied, which was why the Royals ended up only coming up with a powder-blue top. Does anyone know more about this?

I remember that. Maybe because it was a one-time thing? Now that the Blue Jays have officially made an all-powder look a full-time alt, maybe that makes a difference? Or maybe MLB is just blowing in the wind.

Maybe you're right on this. Best explanation I've heard so far.

So, how long has it been since an official uni was a pullover? This has to be the first in a while that will be in regular use. (I know the White Sox had one scheduled for last season but they only used it once, although they had a couple of buttons.) I don't remember who was the last to get rid of the pullovers.

I think the last team to have an official regular pullover was the 1992 Reds, who went to the pinstriped vests and ice cream caps in '93.

As for the powder blue sets, I'm with Lloyd Moseby. They were ugly then and they're ugly now. But I'm for anything that puts the "Blue" back in the Blue Jays, corporate ownership concerns about their competitors be damned.

Archived