Colts looking for new horse

sj32

And, since the deadline has passed, here is my logo... I hope it will be a finalist.

Werther_ColtsLogo.jpg

i LOVE this..great work

The only real criticism I have is that you forgot the little "dip" in the upper-left hand corner of the state of Indiana where Lake Michigan borders the state.

It's the only bit of shoreline that my former home state has (!)...

index.html_txt_indiana.gif

Crap! PANTONE beat me to it. Since I'm posting, anyway....

Hey! I can see my house from here! It's right there, just below the 88!

....Sorry. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled forum, already in progress.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright I'll bite.

Here's what I came up with. It needed work; I soured on the contest so quickly this amounts to a thumbnail and nothing more. I thought it was sort of promising but who really cares.

I was surprised how similar mine was to Go Nordiques concept. Not necessarily the idea, but how it was handled...the far limbs being in blue etc. I like that Nordiques went all blue from the foreleg down. I should have done that. In a similar vein I liked that mine had a blue muzzle/snout...rare is the pure white horse from head to toe.

v110.jpg

Horses aren't cloven hooved creatures. It's an odd-toed ungulate, meaing a one-toe hoof. Also a horse doesn't bend like that, they aren't cats. The head is done really nicely though. Now that I look at it I realize you used some cat log and just changed the head to a horse.

Also kmw_29 isn't that the Cal Poly horse?

Alright I'll bite.

Here's what I came up with. It needed work; I soured on the contest so quickly this amounts to a thumbnail and nothing more. I thought it was sort of promising but who really cares.

I was surprised how similar mine was to Go Nordiques concept. Not necessarily the idea, but how it was handled...the far limbs being in blue etc. I like that Nordiques went all blue from the foreleg down. I should have done that. In a similar vein I liked that mine had a blue muzzle/snout...rare is the pure white horse from head to toe.

v110.jpg

Horses aren't cloven hooved creatures. It's an odd-toed ungulate, meaing a one-toe hoof. Also a hore doesn't bend like that, they aren't cats. The head is done really nicely though. Now that I look at it I realize you used some cat log and just changed the head to a horse.

Please change that before someone comes in here, sees that, and turns that into something it don't need to be turned into...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Doesn't look like it to me:

2804.gif

Nope you are right. I love that Cal Poly horse, probably the best horse logo out there. That and UC Davis.

I've never seen the Cal Poly logo before. I guess the way the legs are positioned are similar, but other than that, I don't see a strong relation (well, except for the fact that they are both horses).

I retooled this old thing of mine and sent it in. It's always been one of my favorite pieces (it was originally a unicorn) but I never ended up using it for anything worthwhile, so I said, "Why not?"

coltsone.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I retooled this old thing of mine and sent it in. It's always been one of my favorite pieces (it was originally a unicorn) but I never ended up using it for anything worthwhile, so I said, "Why not?"

coltsone.png

wow... awesome stuff. reminds me a little bit of the ford mustang logo...

And, since the deadline has passed, here is my logo... I hope it will be a finalist.

Werther_ColtsLogo.jpg

My idea, exactly. Only yours is alot more..... modern. Mine looks like a 7 year old drawing. :D

Great work. This should go through.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

coltsone.png

wow... awesome stuff. reminds me a little bit of the ford mustang logo...

I think my mom said that exact thing. I love the one with the helmet, and I think it fulfilled the brief (strong and playful) better, but I was not positive that the helmet, specifically the horseshoe on it, was legal, so I never sent it. Now that I really look, I probably should have put some gray lowlights on the helmet to make it look less 'slapped-on'. :blush:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I also made this one for fun, but I didn't send it in.

coltstwo.png

That colt is going to have to cut his hair. His mane is totally going to cover the nameplate.

Love 'em both, but this one is dope.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

coltsone.png

This is very nice. I love the style. I have not had much luck rendering in that style, but I sure wish I could because it looks sweet.

While these submissions represent nice work, none of them seem 'playful' to me, which IIRC was one of the guidelines. I'm just sayin'...

That's why I don't understand why the Colts don't just refresh the old 'horse with a football' logo I posted back near the start of this thread.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Alright I'll bite.

v110.jpg

Horses aren't cloven hooved creatures. It's an odd-toed ungulate, meaing a one-toe hoof. Also a horse doesn't bend like that, they aren't cats. The head is done really nicely though. Now that I look at it I realize you used some cat log and just changed the head to a horse.

OK. I can take my lumps like a man when necessary. You are ABSOLUTELY correct about the hooves. I don't know what I was thinking. It appears I remembered it on the front limbs, and forgot the fact on the rear ones. I remember wanting to make it clear the rear legs were off the ground (in motion) and for some dumb reason thought showing them from the top would help.....the split hoof seemed a visual shortcut for that, but clearly an anatomical incorrect one. That's just embarrassing is what it is.

As for my "taking" a cat log (logo) and just changing the head to a horse....are you kidding? I'm trying to be measured in my reply....to not let my cloven-hoof-gaffe embarrassment get me more fired up than is appropriate.....but I don't take kindly to being accused of "taking" anything. I'd never appropriate somebody else's work and pass it off as my own. Furthermore, it doesn't look at all like a cat...what part looks like a cat?!?

I hate being put into the position of defending something, that I myself don't believe is defense-worthy. I know this isn't good...or good enough for sure. I did one thumbnail and traced it into blue and white. It's an idea. Not a logo at this point. It isn't worth defending, yet I can't help but think I should. They want young and frisky. My thought process was that you had to avoid anything like what had been done before. (For me) no rearing up on the hind legs to avoid old Broncos comparisons. No kicking of rear legs to avoid "Bronco" or donkey connotations. No side view or just head logos to avoid new Broncos and the slew of other horse logos out there. So how do you get the point of youth and untamedness across without running afoul of other established logos? I figured I'd try to show a young horse.......well, frollicking sort of....for lack of a better term; in the middle of a running/bouncing fit....like when horses are anxious or have too much piss n vinegar. If I didn't achieve that (and I've mentioned above that in no way do I think I DID) then my bad.

But you mentioned flatly that "horses don't move like that". Has a horse ever, in the history of time, moved like this?

Broncs Alt

Maybe one has. Maybe horses with colic or intestinal torsion (usually fatal) roll around on the ground like this more than people realize.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I also made this one for fun, but I didn't send it in.

coltstwo.png

A horse wearing that helmet is like me wearing a cap that has a picture of a dress shoe on it.

Still kind of cool, though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Alright I'll bite.

v110.jpg

This is great. I know the tangent points are kinda messy and the hooves thing, but I think it's playful and unique enough. I think a third color could give it depth. Light blue or grey. I'm-a diggin it.

I guess this part makes sense since you know Peyton loves the boys...

All designs submitted should incorporate a youthful hose that is ?playful yet strong,? and which should appeal to Colts fans.

Peyton must be jumping up and down in his ass less chaps in excitement somewhere.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I guess this part makes sense since you know Peyton loves the boys...
All designs submitted should incorporate a youthful hose that is ?playful yet strong,? and which should appeal to Colts fans.

Peyton must be jumping up and down in his ass less chaps in excitement somewhere.

Umm....what? :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived