Arena Rafters & Banners

4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Do the Heat still have banners for Michael Jordan and Dan Marino?  

They do. They hang off to the side of the arena, not with the actual Heat players. I truly wish they'd catch fire.

PJU85JF.png

Part of me thinks that’s a nice gesture to honor the greatest-ever player in their sport and the greatest-ever athlete in their city (until D-Wade). But another part of me thinks it’s so tacky. The Heat have a real history and don’t need to do something like that. 

They’ll probably have to change the banner when Bosh will be inducted in the Hall of Fame

spacer.png

Those Olympics banners are dumb too. No reason for the  “HEAT” to conduct themselves like a gimmick organization when they’re the most storied of the post-ABA merger teams

• Like 1
07Giants.pngnyy.png

14 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

They’ll probably have to change the banner when Bosh will be inducted in the Hall of Fame

spacer.png

Those Olympics banners are dumb too. No reason for the  “HEAT” to conduct themselves like a gimmick organization when they’re the most storied of the post-ABA merger teams

You actually think he’ll go into the hall of fame? He was good but he doesn’t have the longevity, or was a truely great player, especially when he go to the heat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 10:08 PM, monkeypower said:

Some NHL teams already do, Edmonton for one I believe, and I think it’s stupid.

The division champion is whoever has the most points at the end of the regular season.

so for example take the 2018-2019 Hurricanes who represented the Metro in the Eastern Conference finals, It would NOT be correct to put up a postseason divisional champions banner? I just don't get that one. You did Represent your Division in the Conference final, You won your divisional postseason rounds (the Division Semi and Divisional Final Rounds Respectively) so why can't we put up banners that say  for example: "2018-2019 Metropolitan Division Playoff Champions"? those are more prestigious than regular season divisional championships since the postseason means more.

Hockey should only have 4 types of banners: Presidents’ Trophy, Regular Season Division, Conference, and Stanley Cup. 

None of these “Eastern Conference Regular Season” or “Divisional Playoff”. Teams that hang those up are those that just want to give the illusion that they’ve accomplished a lot by hanging a lot of banners, when in reality, they’ve done absolutely nothing. 

• Like 6

XM4KeeA.png

40 minutes ago, insert name said:

Hockey should only have 4 types of banners: Presidents’ Trophy, Regular Season Division, Conference, and Stanley Cup. 

None of these “Eastern Conference Regular Season” or “Divisional Playoff”. Teams that hang those up are those that just want to give the illusion that they’ve accomplished a lot by hanging a lot of banners, when in reality, they’ve done absolutely nothing. 

coughnashvillecough

Oh wow, where did that coughing come from? 😛

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mybug said:

so for example take the 2018-2019 Hurricanes who represented the Metro in the Eastern Conference finals, It would NOT be correct to put up a postseason divisional champions banner? I just don't get that one. You did Represent your Division in the Conference final, You won your divisional postseason rounds (the Division Semi and Divisional Final Rounds Respectively) so why can't we put up banners that say  for example: "2018-2019 Metropolitan Division Playoff Champions"? those are more prestigious than regular season divisional championships since the postseason means more.

Because the way the NHL is set up, you won’t always get a divisional matchup, and that means that theoretically, there can be two teams from the same division playing in the conference final. 

So with what you want, we could end up with a team like the Avalanche (Had they won game 7) being the Pacific champs... 🤔

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Because the way the NHL is set up, you won’t always get a divisional matchup, and that means that theoretically, there can be two teams from the same division playing in the conference final. 

So with what you want, we could end up with a team like the Avalanche (Had they won game 7) being the Pacific champs... 🤔

I'm A Hurricanes fan.

1 hour ago, Mybug said:

I'm A Hurricanes fan.

Congrats bro...

What you’re saying is that the 4 teams that play in the conference final should all get division champs banners. I’m saying that can’t always work, because of the wildcard system. A team might be playing in the opposite division the way the chips fall. That’s why the Avs were playing against teams like the Flames and Sharks. And since they won in the first round, if they had then won the second against the Sharks, they would be the Pacific division champs, despite playing in the Central, which would be ridiculous...

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Here’s the rule - if either a qualifier is required, or the title doesn’t end in “winner” or “champion”, then it should be on a banner. 

Also, while technically meeting the above criteria, “wild card winner” or even “wild card champion” doesn’t deserve a banner. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."