Arena Rafters & Banners

On 6/25/2019 at 6:38 AM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

coughnashvillecough

Oh wow, where did that coughing come from? 😛

Yes, we have a banner up for the "Regular Season Western Conference Champions." Yes, it's made worse by the fact that we also hung up the banner for the President's Trophy the same year. However it's not like we started the trend or have the most BS banners. While it's certainly ridiculous, and we need to take it down, I don't get the feeding frenzy over Nashville doing it.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, DrAwesomeberry said:

All NHL division champion banners should be consolidated into a single banner. I know the Capitals did that after people made jokes about all their "Southeast Division Champs" banners.

Agreed, I really hope this is the approach the Preds take. *glances at RSWCC banner* I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Yes, we have a banner up for the "Regular Season Western Conference Champions." Yes, it's made worse by the fact that we also hung up the banner for the President's Trophy the same year. However it's not like we started the trend or have the most BS banners. While it's certainly ridiculous, and we need to take it down, I don't get the feeding frenzy over Nashville doing it.

I think it's more just that it came off as really trying to pat themselves on the back after a disappointing playoffs performance. Like they were saying "yeah, we totally blew it in the playoffs, but we were top of the West in the regular season! It's all good, right?".

Ultimately, the banner just kinda represents a failure of a season where they were great in the regular season and completely fell apart in the playoffs. It'd be like Tampa hanging a "Regular Season Eastern Conference Champions" banner this coming season even though they got curbstomped in the first round by a team that never even won a playoff series before.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, well, it's the one they have now, which is close to the one they had when they were good. At least there's some sense of organizational continuity. I appreciate that the banner made me forget Halladay mostly wore those dumb grey Crillee numbers.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/25/2019 at 9:57 PM, tohasbo said:

God the 2015 and 2016 banners are ruined with the ALDS Champs nonsense. 

Do they really need the redundancy of “AL” “AL”DS champs?  It makes something that’s inherently stupid even more stupid.  They’re not a stupid franchise, so this seems pretty odd. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, insert name said:

Any “DS CHAMPS” is dumb as hell especially if it’s right under “division champs”. Putting that just screams “AL/NL FINALIST”. 

They should read as “2015 AL EAST CHAMPS” and “2016 WILD CARD”.

Especially since there's literally on such thing... and can't be a thing called "DS Champs".  They're the "Toronto vs Baltimore Series Champs", but by definition, if there's two DSs then there can't be a DS champion.

It only matters if you win the highest title that you possibly can for any period of time.  Division champ is fine.  League champ is fine.  World Series champ is fine. 

Wild Card champion?  1) there's no such thing, 2) you're celebrating that you were good, but not quite good enough to win your division?  DUMB.

ALDS champion?  1) there's no such thing.  It's impossible to exist.

'Finalist'?  1) to be a 'finalist', you won something else.  Just celebrate that, and not draw attention to the fact that you lost when it mattered.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Especially since there's literally on such thing... and can't be a thing called "DS Champs".  They're the "Toronto vs Baltimore Series Champs", but by definition, if there's two DSs then there can't be a DS champion.

It only matters if you win the highest title that you possibly can for any period of time.  Division champ is fine.  League champ is fine.  World Series champ is fine. 

Wild Card champion?  1) there's no such thing, 2) you're celebrating that you were good, but not quite good enough to win your division?  DUMB.

ALDS champion?  1) there's no such thing.  It's impossible to exist.

'Finalist'?  1) to be a 'finalist', you won something else.  Just celebrate that, and not draw attention to the fact that you lost when it mattered.

I don't like it outside of baseball, but. 

I dontind teams that have a pennant for being in the wild card.

Just a simple 2008 Wild card. Anything else and it's annoying. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

11 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I don't like it outside of baseball, but. 

I dontind teams that have a pennant for being in the wild card.

Just a simple 2008 Wild card. Anything else and it's annoying. 

That's literally a participation trophy.  It symbolizes both the failure to win the division, and a failure to win in the playoffs.

EDIT:  I just noticed that TOR's 2016 banner says "WILD CARD" and "ALDS CHAMPs"  They're lying, and creating titles that don't exist.  Sorry - you don't get a banner that year.

• Like 1

I disagree about that. The Wild Card is still an achievement in baseball and should be acknowledged by the team if they choose to. Making the postseason in baseball is probably the hardest to achieve compared to other leagues in North America. 

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

On 7/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

So will the Raptors for with "World Champions" or "NBA Champions" for their banner?

They're the first team outside of the US to win the NBA Championship, so they ought to own that. WORLD CHAMPIONS banner or bust.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:42 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

While it's certainly ridiculous, and we need to take it down, I don't get the feeding frenzy over Nashville doing it.

Often these shenanigans are a product of being "try-hards." The Predators so want to be taken seriously, and it permeates through from the organization to the fans. That's why you have crap like the "don't sell playoff tickets to people from Canada, the Northeast, or Midwest" policies, the "don't wear opposing team gear" policies, the contrived chants, stealing Detroit's gimmick, etc...

The Predators are, I would argue, in the adolescent stage of their existence as a team. They're beyond the expansion team phase. They're beginning to find their identity, but they're clearly desperate to push that and make it clear that they're totally not just some expansion team anymore! They're just like the Habs, Wings, or Rangers with their own traditions and everything! Like a teenager growing up? The franchise is clearly developing a unique and organic identity, but it tries way too hard to be something it's not at the same time. The ridiculous banners play into that. It's self-gratification.

I think a lot of other fans pick up on that, even if they can't articulate it. There's a sense from the Preds, born of an inferiority complex, that they have to insist on everything. Which is bound to get "come on" sorts of responses from others.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, insert name said:

I disagree about that. The Wild Card is still an achievement in baseball and should be acknowledged by the team if they choose to. Making the postseason in baseball is probably the hardest to achieve compared to other leagues in North America. 

I agree with this, but the Wild Card has also changed. Now I think it is only appropriate to commemorate the Wild Card IF the team won the Wild Card game. 

Winning the ALDS/NLDS should not be commemorated on a banner. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, insert name said:

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I agree with this, but the Wild Card has also changed. Now I think it is only appropriate to commemorate the Wild Card IF the team won the Wild Card game. 

Winning the ALDS/NLDS should not be commemorated on a banner. 

It literally means that you failed to win your division, but were still "pretty good."  

I don't disagree that making the playoffs is tougher in MLB than in other sports, but that still doesn't make it a 'championship', or an achievement worth immortalizing on a banner.  You're literally celebrating second (or now, maybe even third) place.

In my dumb opinion, which I may have stated elsewhere, Americans spots only allows three types of team banners:

-Division Championship (in most cases you should list all years on one banner, Wild Card for baseball is fine)

-Conference Championships (only do a ceremony/rings in baseball)

-League Championship (duh)

Regular season "championships" don't count if the actual champion is determined in the playoffs. 

• Like 2