OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I'm actually going to have to interject as the voice of reason here.

There is simply no way this is the team's primary logo by the time the first regular-season game tips off. Bennett's statements about other forthcoming logos all but confirm that. However, what this logo does is it gets suckers who have to get the "first" of everything to line up for merch, and then go a-buyin' again when the new primary debuts in two months.

So, forgive me if I don't get all Book of Revelations on this one, even if it does suck all get-out.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

After I saw this masterpiece on nba.com, I tried to come here, but the site wouldn't load. I figured that so many people were trying to log in to say how bad this sucks that the site crashed.

To me, it looks like a logo a cheap basketball camp would use.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I was more impressed with this...

untitled-6.jpg

They shouldve kept this.

Slap on some colors and a real image of a basketball.

BAM!

Better logo.

I would have respected Clay Bennett more if he used this logo, take off the NBA and Adidas logos and replace Oklahoma City with Thunder. And go with that logo for a year till they came up with something more inspiring. Clay cant tell me this logo is right. Even with a short window to make a logo.

I cant believe they agree on this, not only someone who would design such a low logo ( not that I could do better ), but to sit down and actually agree on this logo. It is a shame to the team and the town of Oklahoma.

I woke up from a Nap...yes i did say nap, to find it was only a hoax and see such a better logo. But i woke up to a nightmare.

4kv29i.jpg

Okay, time for Mr. Middle Tennessee to weigh in on this...

I'm not going to go as far as to say it's the worst logo EVER. I still think many others vie for that distinction, and one of the most predominant in my mind is still the Toledo Storm.

The logo itself is kinda sorta clean....while it looks quite odd and in no way represents Thunder, it's not sloppy or childish. It doesn't have the hand-drawn aspect of an ABA logo or the old Storm mark. It doesn't have the roughness of, say, the Picasso-yote. It just looks like a throwing-crap-together, not-too-well-thought-out, vaguely corporate logo. It wouldn't be too terribly bad as a secondary or a tertiary. However, it's blindingly vague and pretty inexcusable as a primary, because it stands for...well...nothing.

That said, while I will never say I liked it, I didn't loathe it when I saw it...but the more I see it, the less I like it.

And as much as it pains me to say it, I agree. Slugalo is better than this crap. Why? It's designed to be a primary, stands (or...oozes...or streaks...hard to stand w/o feet, but whatever) alone, and is bold enough to do so--unlike the O-K-Shield--and it at least tries in a major way to represent what it actually represents. It might be a stretch to say that Buffaslug looks like a Buffalo, but with the horns, eyes, and implied motion, we get it. But with the O-K-Shield...it stands for...what? [sees the version with the Canuck lettering atop it]

Oh....it's Thunde--wait. What?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

xpokc12120812.jpg

Looks like the bastard child of a three-way between the late 80s Spurs, the 90s Cavs, the 00s Warriors.

I sure am glad I got my Kevin Durant jersey in Sonics green.

You missed the current Vancouver Canucks jerseys, that's what the THUNDER text reminds me of, that ridiculous, out of place team name where it doesn't need to be.

(Though I guess, nothing else about the logo says Thunder, so they have to do something, right?)

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

xpokc12120812.jpg

Looks like the bastard child of a three-way between the late 80s Spurs, the 90s Cavs, and the 00s Warriors.

I sure am glad I got my Kevin Durant jersey in Sonics green.

And add in a dash of this for good measure...

firefox.jpg

And amare, for the record, the word you are looking for is "PUMAT" :D

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I wanted to do a comparison of the Warriors vs. Thunder colors, since we're going to hear a lot of that I'm afraid. However, it doesn't look like the Thunder's colors will have the same emphasis as the Warriors' do; we'll have to see for certain once the Thunder unis come out.

I don't have the Thunder Pantones yet...but I am about 99% sure I've got the Blue, Yellow and Navy correct, and about 75% on the Orange. These will be updated once I get the official information:

GoldenStateWarriors_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

OklahomaCityThunder_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

If my estimates are correct, then all of the actual colors will be slightly different between the two (except for the White, for you smart-alecks out there!). And as I mentioned, the predominance of the colors seem to be different. Still, I wonder why they had to go with a color-combination that is so similar...it's not like there's only 8 colors in the crayon box or something.

Hopefully they'll de-emphasize the Navy...we sure as heck don't need another Double Blue NBA team...

Archived