MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

Question for you all...

With Vancouver being admitted to the league, will the Whitecaps name be carried over? With the Rapids being in the league, I can see that maybe they would change just to distinguish between the two.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question for you all...

With Vancouver being admitted to the league, will the Whitecaps name be carried over? With the Rapids being in the league, I can see that maybe they would change just to distinguish between the two.

How about Colorado just takes the plunge and rename themselves the Colorado Arsenal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Colorado Arsenal would suck. Bah.

Whitecaps is the only real answer for Vancouver. Is it really that similar to Rapids?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Whitecaps is the only real answer for Vancouver. Is it really that similar to Rapids?

I for one am struggling to make a distinction.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

No reason not to have them both.

While the names could possibly refer to similar natural phenomena, the names themselves are dissimilar in any way and couldn't cause confusion between the teams by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree. Rapids and Whitecaps are no where near close to eachother. I hope Vancouver keeps the Whitecaps name. It has too much history to just trow away.

jNTsTyQ.png

Its pretty simple. Rapids are places on Rivers with turbulent water. Whitecaps are waves on an ocean. This isn't exactly advanced hydrology here folks.

Rapid:

180px-Rapids.jpg

Whitcap:

180px-Waves_in_pacifica_1.jpg

Also, the Whitecaps would be incredibly dumb to drop a sports identity that has three decades of history in Vancouver. Especially because some other team thousands of miles away has a water associated name. Baseball seems to make out ok with all their bird named teams don't they? People don't start confusing the Orioles, Cardinals, Blue Jays, etc.

Its pretty simple. Rapids are places on Rivers with turbulent water. Whitecaps are waves on an ocean. This isn't exactly advanced hydrology here folks.

Rapid:

180px-Rapids.jpg

Whitcap:

180px-Waves_in_pacifica_1.jpg

Also, the Whitecaps would be incredibly dumb to drop a sports identity that has three decades of history in Vancouver. Especially because some other team thousands of miles away has a water associated name. Baseball seems to make out ok with all their bird named teams don't they? People don't start confusing the Orioles, Cardinals, Blue Jays, etc.

So can whitecaps occur in rapids as well?

Rapid:

180px-Rapids.jpg

Whitcap:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Waves_in_pacifica_1.jpg/180px-

I know what each one is, I guess I misspoke. I just can't see how anyone could confuse the two, or make it as though the Whitecaps would need to change their name.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Rapid:

180px-Rapids.jpg

Whitcap:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Waves_in_pacifica_1.jpg/180px-

I know what each one is, I guess I misspoke. I just can't see how anyone could confuse the two, or make it as though the Whitecaps would need to change their name.

Never underestimate people's stupidity.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• 3 months later...
MLS commissioner says expansion team in Queens on hold as Wilpons battle financial headaches

New York City soccer fans will have to wait longer than expected for an MLS expansion team in the city.

MLS commissioner Don Garber said on Thursday night that plans for a team has been placed on hold.

The Wilpon family, who owns the Mets, have had recent financial headaches recently because of the Madoff scandal and is not on top of the league's expansion list at the present time. The Wilpons reportedly lost $700 million in the Ponzi scheme.

"I wouldn't say a second team in New York would have the same priority today as perhaps a couple of years ago," Garber said before the Red Bulls lost to the Los Angeles Galaxy and David Beckham, 3-1, at Giants Stadium.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_spo...nsion_team.html

Dang. The feeling that putting a team here is contingent on having that team run by the Wilpons is frustrating. I don't have a problem with the league trying to partner with them, and they're absolutely right to target Queens. But if the Wilpons aren't getting their act together anytime soon and having a team serve the Five Boroughs is truly a priority on any level, I've got to imagine it wouldn't be hard to find someone else who could get things going on a faster timetable.

They would be wise to come up with something before the end of Mayor Bloomberg's administration, if that ever happens. His stadium-building fetish and level of amassed power give the MLS a great opportunity they might not have with whoever succeeds him.

• 3 weeks later...

Commish Garber briefly talked about expansion last night at BMO Field in Toronto:

Stadium issues were also of note between another Canadian city and its soccer club. Garber said that the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division are prime candidates to be the next MLS expansion club as long as the team can bring Montreal's Saputo Stadium up to league standards.

"We're in discussions with [impact owners] Joey Saputo and his family," Garber said. "The next step for us is to get public support to expand and renovate that stadium. Without that we're not going to be able to go to Montreal, since that stadium can't really support what we think a Montreal MLS team will be."

The commissioner said that the delay in stadium suitability will keep the Impact from joining former USL organizations Portland and Vancouver in moving up to Major League Soccer in 2011, but Montreal is still a strong candidate for expansion given its proven soccer history.

"It's not happening in 2011, it'll happen sometime after that," Garber said. "But I'd like to see three teams in Canada."

If the Giants and Jets are New York teams playing a couple miles past the border of the city, so are Metro/RB.

i believe he was being sarcastic as to you calling them a "team" or something of that nature.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived