Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

17 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Easy..

-West Virginia to the ACC

-Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU and Texas Tech to the Pac-12

-Iowa State and Kansas to the Big Ten

This leaves Baylor out and forced into the American.

Football wise, it does suck for Baylor.  But basketball wise, it improves the conference that already has Houston and Memphis

• Like 1

It's literally the opposite. If the leagues felt they could improve their TV contracts with any of the left overs, they would have pulled the trigger. Instead, they did this performative, "we don't care about money *whispers* but that TV money thooooooooooooooooo"

• Like 2

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

15 hours ago, heavybass said:

Big 12 has a plan it seems.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/08/30/big-12-expansion-already-has-list-applicants-2016/5647450001/

In the considering list, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Boise State, SMU and Memphis... and if they want to stick it to the SEC, they might try and pinch UAB from the C-USA

Lol, yeah that'll show them.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, heavybass said:

Big 12 has a plan it seems.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/08/30/big-12-expansion-already-has-list-applicants-2016/5647450001/

In the considering list, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Boise State, SMU and Memphis... and if they want to stick it to the SEC, they might try and pinch UAB from the C-USA

All these schools would be a good fit for the Big XII. Plus UAB will open its new football stadium this year.

Signature intentionally left blank

Alabama Board of Trustees would NEVER OK UAB going to a better league than C-USA.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

25 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Alabama Board of Trustees would NEVER OK UAB going to a better league than C-USA.

Yeah, didn’t they basically try to make the UAB program “willingly disband” about a decade ago and the guy who made that decision was Bear Bryant’s son? I swear I’m not making that last part up either. 

EDIT: Here’s an interesting article about the allegations that Bear Bryant Jr. was responsible for initially trying to kill potential competition to Tuscaloosa in the cradle

Article does make the argument that it probably wasn’t Bear Bryant Jr. but the fact that it was the son of Alabama’s (now probably 2nd) greatest coach didn’t help matters at all. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Are the serious discussions on the part of the Big 8 or the schools themselves? The Big 8 can have all the discussions they want, but the schools they’re trying to woo hold all the cards. 

All reports right now are saying these discussions are on the Big 8's part. However, I don't see any reason why the AAC teams being invited would say no. Worst case scenario the Big 12 collapses and they end up in basically the same situation that they are now but with a different conference name. BYU's a different story, because they've been making it work as a football independent and WCC everything else, but I still think the allure of being in a power conference will do the trick.

UCF and Houston were in this exact situation in 2013 when they joined the Big East on its deathbed, so I imagine a lot of their leadership is feeling some deja vu right now.

ExJworW.png

On 8/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, Red Comet said:

Yeah, didn’t they basically try to make the UAB program “willingly disband” about a decade ago and the guy who made that decision was Bear Bryant’s son? I swear I’m not making that last part up either. 

EDIT: Here’s an interesting article about the allegations that Bear Bryant Jr. was responsible for initially trying to kill potential competition to Tuscaloosa in the cradle

Article does make the argument that it probably wasn’t Bear Bryant Jr. but the fact that it was the son of Alabama’s (now probably 2nd) greatest coach didn’t help matters at all. 

It goes further than that. Jimbo Fisher was going to be the HC at UAB before Tuscaloosa stepped in and killed the deal. That led to Jimbo taking the OC job at FSU. Fast forward to 2021 and one of Bama's SEC West rivals has made it to where Jimbo has more money than god.

And don't get me started on Tuscaloosa's hatchet job on UAH hockey.

#FreeUAB #FreeUAH

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm a bit surprised the Texas schools would be okay with Houston (I was expecting Memphis over them) but this combination of schools are the Big 12's best path to long term survival IMO, so good move if this turns out to be what they do.

You got BYU which is the safe pick and then you are expanding into three bustling locations ripe for TV monies... plus all three have had good runs in the last few years including UCF's national title run in 17.

Assuming all four schools get invited and join...UCF is gonna pay beaucoup bucks on travel (the closest current Big 12 team is West Virginia, and the closest potential Big 12 team would be Cincinnati, both 900 miles away and on their own island from the heart of the conference).

I hope they're ready to soak up these costs.

bYhYmxh.png

20 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Are the serious discussions on the part of the Big 8 or the schools themselves? The Big 8 can have all the discussions they want, but the schools they’re trying to woo hold all the cards. 

Those schools will jump without a second thought. Before everything imploded, we almost ended up with Boise State and San Diego State in the Big East. For UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati, they would definitely prefer to be associated with West Virginia, Oklahoma State, etc. rather than Tulsa and ECU.

21 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm a bit surprised the Texas schools would be okay with Houston (I was expecting Memphis over them) but this combination of schools are the Big 12's best path to long term survival IMO, so good move if this turns out to be what they do.

Without regular Texas in the way, I'm sure Tech, Baylor, and TCU are fine with that choice.  Houston has a larger budget than Memphis, twice the enrollment, better history in football, and the Houston metro is number five in the US versus Memphis being 43rd.

I’ll be very happy to see BYU out of the WCC. Even with Gonzaga factored in their enrollment is 4 times the next highest school in the conference let alone throwing in the age advantage.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

While I have no doubt Cincinnati, Houston and UCF would jump to the Big 12, BYU is still a big question mark. Like Notre Dame I have heard BYU enjoys their football independence and controlling their schedule. Would they be willing to give that up to join the Big 12?

Cincinnati would have no problem. They were almost in a few years ago to the point they had their media background printed for the news conference that never happened because the Big 12 decided against expansion at the time.

Image-hints-at-Big-12-expansion-Twitter.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

While I have no doubt Cincinnati, Houston and UCF would jump to the Big 12, BYU is still a big question mark. Like Notre Dame I have heard BYU enjoys their football independence and controlling their schedule. Would they be willing to give that up to join the Big 12?

Which begs the question; if BYU doesn't come on board, then who's the backup school the Big 12 will pursue? (Possibly another team from the American; maybe USF to give UCF a close rival)

bYhYmxh.png