2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not like anyone noticed or cared but the Pittsburgh Pirates are 100 game losers this season. Another year of the seemingly endless futility Pirates fans (if there are any left) have had to endure since the Clinton administration.

Not much of anything can be said about this franchise's ineptitude anymore, but I want to say something about Pirates' fans. They still exist and will be back if this team ever starts winning. Yes, the attendance was 27th overall this year, but it was actually up from last season. The last homestand of the season drew over 70,000. This is in the midst of an 18 year losing streak, 100 loss season, and the Steelers were on at the same time. Give Pittsburgh the Rays' roster and watch PNC Park be at or near capacity all season.

What I see from the Pirates for such an utterly dreadful franchise, they draw well. However, maybe that is a curse as well as a credit to Pirate fans. This keeps the money rolling into their tightwad owners, maybe if they did not draw well ownership would be forced to get better players.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

LOL, good luck resigning David Price when the time comes Tampa Bay, really."Had a chance to clinch a post season spot tonight with about 10,000 fans in the stands ... embarrassing."

Not like anyone noticed or cared but the Pittsburgh Pirates are 100 game losers this season. Another year of the seemingly endless futility Pirates fans (if there are any left) have had to endure since the Clinton administration.
Not much of anything can be said about this franchise's ineptitude anymore, but I want to say something about Pirates' fans. They still exist and will be back if this team ever starts winning. Yes, the attendance was 27th overall this year, but it was actually up from last season. The last homestand of the season drew over 70,000. This is in the midst of an 18 year losing streak, 100 loss season, and the Steelers were on at the same time. Give Pittsburgh the Rays' roster and watch PNC Park be at or near capacity all season.
What I see from the Pirates for such an utterly dreadful franchise, they draw well. However, maybe that is a curse as well as a credit to Pirate fans. This keeps the money rolling into their tightwad owners, maybe if they did not draw well ownership would be forced to get better players.

I say we kill two birds with one stone and swap the Pirates and Rays rosters. Give Pirates fans the team they deserve, and give Tampa fans a team that deserves the level of support they show.

The Rangers will have a new TV deal starting in 2015 which will be higher per year than their current payroll. yesterday, it was first reported that it was 20 years for $3 billion, but is seems to have been reduced to 20 years for $1.5-1.6 billion.

I know that regional sports networks need programming and baseball can fill hours, but this seems very excessive. Especially since their current deal with Fox Sports Southwest also included the Dallas Stars with it.

I say we kill two birds with one stone and swap the Pirates and Rays rosters. Give Pirates fans the team they deserve, and give Tampa fans a team that deserves the level of support they show.

Though impossible, this is exactly how it ought to be. The Rays' fans deserve much less and the Pirates' fans deserve much more.

Though impossible, this is exactly how it ought to be. The Rays' fans deserve much less and the Pirates' fans deserve much more.

Disagree. They've seen two super bowls and a stanley cup in the last five years. They can handle a losing baseball team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Disagree. They've seen two super bowls and a stanley cup in the last five years. They can handle a losing baseball team.

True, but from a baseball standpoint, the Pirates are deserving. The city of Pittsburgh may not deserve another championship, but those die-hard Pirates fans who have been supporting the Pirates since before 1993 deserve a contender.

True, but from a baseball standpoint, the Pirates are deserving. The city of Pittsburgh may not deserve another championship, but those die-hard Pirates fans who have been supporting the Pirates since before 1993 deserve a contender.

1993? Child's play

Try 1908.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The Rangers will have a new TV deal starting in 2015 which will be higher per year than their current payroll. yesterday, it was first reported that it was 20 years for $3 billion, but is seems to have been reduced to 20 years for $1.5-1.6 billion.

I know that regional sports networks need programming and baseball can fill hours, but this seems very excessive. Especially since their current deal with Fox Sports Southwest also included the Dallas Stars with it.

Regardless of the money, 20 years seems ridiculous for both sides. That article was pretty poorly written IMO, but the point about FOX trying to block out Comcast was a pretty good one. Still, I can't imagine why the Rangers would want to forgo any chance of starting their own network or putting themselves in a position to be bid on by multiple networks for 20 years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1993? Child's play

Try 1908.

With a Stanley Cup last year, 6 NBA Championships in the 90's, and a Super Bowl in 1985, Chicago fans don't have anything to complain about.

Try 1963... without any one of your teams winning a championship.

6fQjS3M.png

1993? Child's play

Try 1908.

With a Stanley Cup last year, 6 NBA Championships in the 90's, and a Super Bowl in 1985, Chicago fans don't have anything to complain about.

Try 1963... without any one of your teams winning a championship.

No! My town has suffered longer than all of yours! Get me my sackcloth and ashes!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Speaking of which, does it seem like this team would be hovering around 110 losses if not for the Cardinals?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Got to see the Rays clinch live, which was a lot of fun. It seemed kinda awkward after the whole... you know... but still very sweet. A lot of people bought tickets at the game, we were in line for like 20 minutes.

But I really want to see the Jay Bruce home run, that sounds sweet.

Got to see the Rays clinch live, which was a lot of fun. It seemed kinda awkward after the whole... you know... but still very sweet. A lot of people bought tickets at the game, we were in line for like 20 minutes.

But I really want to see the Jay Bruce home run, that sounds sweet.

You seem like a good fan who enjoys going to games, so this doesn't include you, but man - that's just sad. Read that they were actually giving away tickets. Not sure how old you are, or if you've already done this, but you should really plan a road trip to some other baseball cities and just check out the experience there.

If Tampa plays Philadelphia again, you can bet that the inside of the Trop will be bright red - might have a little bit of an atmosphere then!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived