Unpopular Opinions

I think LA's royal blue and yellow jerseys are horrendous, they hurt my eyeballs. Something just screams "childish" about them, I just think Fisher-Price and Duplos whenever I see those jerseys posted.

Don't get it twisted, I wasn't a fan of the navy and gold STL Rams either. My favorite are the white/navy throwbacks... This is what LA should do, clean and crisp, plus they're throwbacks to BEFORE the royal/yellow. 

5nk8hv.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/14/2016 at 5:50 PM, grillbrosdesign said:

I think LA's royal blue and yellow jerseys are horrendous, they hurt my eyeballs. Something just screams "childish" about them, I just think Fisher-Price and Duplos whenever I see those jerseys posted.

Don't get it twisted, I wasn't a fan of the navy and gold STL Rams either. My favorite are the white/navy throwbacks... This is what LA should do, clean and crisp, plus they're throwbacks to BEFORE the royal/yellow. 

5nk8hv.jpg

Not really. The royal/yellow came first, in the '40s and '50s. It wasn't the design we grew up with but it was the same colors. 

• Like 2

It's been a few years now and I've come to not only tolerate, but actually like the Marlins' identity. They obviously have a few flaws in their overall design, but they aren't nearly bad enough to bring down the entire set. They legitimately look like a team that plays in Miami and that's enough for me.

(Granted, I wish they'd limit the use black every now and then...)

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's been a few years now and I've come to not only tolerate, but actually like the Marlins' identity. They obviously have a few flaws in their overall design, but they aren't nearly bad enough to bring down the entire set. They legitimately look like a team that plays in Miami and that's enough for me.

(Granted, I wish they'd limit the use black every now an then...)

I love them but more importantly I think they're closer to being great than some realize. The original hate for them was unwarranted and, in my opinion, only came about from shock.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I love them but more importantly I think they're closer to being great than some realize. The original hate for them was unwarranted and, in my opinion, only came about from shock.

I'd say they're pretty good. Far from great but pretty good. The number font is bringing them down a lot and I still think they feature way too much black but otherwise I tend to like these more and more every season (especially since Arizona came out with their clown suits).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Their logo is fantastic IMO.

• Like 2

FWIW, the team is using way less black (sometimes none at all) in a lot of it's media, programs, logos, things around the ballpark, on the scoreboard at the ballpark, TV ads, social media, etc. And it definitely looks better too. More clean and bright and energetic, as they originally intended with the rebrand. I think the color black is quite popular here in Miami with the Heat and with the Marlins throughout their entire history, even in the early teal days there was plenty of black, and thus they probably felt almost obligated to include black in the rebrand. Maybe all of this is a sign that it will be toned down a bit eventually on the field as well. One beautiful example I've noticed more lately, you know those little rectangular things on the sides of the bases that has been customized to the teams and sometimes to the series and even the dates sometimes? The Marlins one lately has been the Miami wordmark on a blue background with an orange border and its beautiful. I'm pretty sure it can be seen very clearly if you find the footage of Buster Posey colliding face first with third base last week in Miami. Check it out.

On August 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

My fave Oilers jersey of all time:

4412.jpg

Not my favourite but I like it much better than the current, orange, alt.  Also really miss the midnight blue, red and copper set...  The Pre-Edge version of course ;).

19 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I think that every time I think of the Steelers,

I remember someone making a mock up of a Steelers uniform design, but I hate the Steelers athletic gold pants. The Rams look good with athletic gold pants and so do the Redskins, but Steelers look good in athletic gold helmets and white pants. To me I think their throwbacks from 1957-1962 was better. I like the old block numbers than their silly 1997-current look. I wish the numbers were athletic gold with white trim, but I like this guy's mock up (just he needs to make the pants and stripe pattern match like a large athletic gold stripe with 0.5 thin black trim. I am making a mock up of the Steelers in that same thing, but to me the black helmets was too much.

With the Ravens, I wish they limit the use of POORPLE! :mad: I wish they went with a black helmet with a white stripe the middle of the helmet. Stop the birds head and use a bird in like a Batman style flight glide for the helmets (no, not like the Atlanta Falcons), but a frontal view of the Raven ready to fly. BLACK JERSEYS AND NOT PURPLE. Limit purple and mustard gold, to me the Ravens are more black and white in color scheme (black lids, black jerseys, white pants with a large black piping) while their road whites are (black lids, white jerseys, option of black pants with a large white piping or the home pants). That's just me.

Pittsburgh_Steelers5.jpg

steelers home 1.png

steelers road 1.png

pit-07-11-yellowhelmet-zumapress-620x791.jpg

pittsburgh-steelers_helmet-history_1933-2012_segment_e.gif

On 8/14/2016 at 4:50 PM, grillbrosdesign said:

5nk8hv.jpg

Back in the late 1930's (1938-1939), 1940's, and the 1950's the Los Angeles Rams color has always been royal blue and athletic gold. Let me show you what was going on why the navy blue and white took place.

Quoted from Helmet Huts conversation with Todd Hewitt,

HH - Speaking of the Rams color schemes, why did the Rams change from blue and yellow to blue and white in 1964, which they wore for 9 years, until 1972?

TH - Kind of a funny story. Before the change the Rams often wore yellow home jerseys which, as it turned out, didn't look particularly good on black and white TV, a consideration that became increasingly important at the time. So the Rams experimented with different shades of yellow until they found one that actually showed up well on TV. The problem was the shade of the yellow that worked well for TV was called "buttercup yellow". When Mr. Reeves (Dan Reeves, Rams owner 1941-1971) found out about this, he said that there was no way his team would ever wear a color called "buttercup yellow". Also, the yellow horns on the Rams helmet at the time didn't show up very well on TV either. So Mr. Reeves decided to remove yellow from the uniforms altogether, opting for a simple blue and white, which as it turned out looked great on black and white TV.

Want to hear Carroll Rosenbloom's side of the story to why he brought back athletic gold?

HH - Why did the Rams change back to blue and yellow uniforms in 1973, after wearing blue and white uniforms for 9 years (1964-1972)?

TH - This was Mr. Rosenbloom's (Caroll Rosenbloom, Rams owner 1972-1979) idea, something he decided to do when he took over as the Rams owner in 1972. He felt the blue and white uniforms were somewhat bland and wanted a uniform look that better reflected the glitz of Hollywood. Horns were added to the jerseys, at the shoulder area, and we went to white shoes and blue shoes. The new jersey numbers were also pretty snazzy, they had a white trim. But we quickly discovered that the white trim made the numbers very tough to differentiate on TV so they were scrapped after the 1973 preseason.

Hint that Rosenbloom used to own the Baltimore Colts and he thought the Rams navy blue and white was too similar to his old Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis Colts) team that he brought back athletic gold since he remembered the Rams having the color scheme before.

http://www.helmethut.com/Talkhelmet/TalkHewitt.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cosmic said:

I love that white number trim was what passed for "snazzy" in 1973.

Yes it was. It just made the block numbers look very rough. Frontiere in 2000 found a way for it to work on the new uniforms which she was wiser than Reeves and her late husband Rosenbloom.

To me, I felt the white trim would of worked, but if executed right.

20 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I wish the Marlins went with aqua, yellow, coral orange (or red-orange), and white. :( Have the grey as their home with the aqua wordmark with yellow and coral orange trim. I don't like the two tone teal, the red-orange, yellow, black, white all in one cluster:censored: rainbow!

12 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Back in the late 1930's (1938-1939), 1940's, and the 1950's the Los Angeles Rams color has always been royal blue and athletic gold. Let me show you what was going on why the navy blue and white took place.

Quoted from Helmet Huts conversation with Todd Hewitt,

HH - Speaking of the Rams color schemes, why did the Rams change from blue and yellow to blue and white in 1964, which they wore for 9 years, until 1972?

TH - Kind of a funny story. Before the change the Rams often wore yellow home jerseys which, as it turned out, didn't look particularly good on black and white TV, a consideration that became increasingly important at the time. So the Rams experimented with different shades of yellow until they found one that actually showed up well on TV. The problem was the shade of the yellow that worked well for TV was called "buttercup yellow". When Mr. Reeves (Dan Reeves, Rams owner 1941-1971) found out about this, he said that there was no way his team would ever wear a color called "buttercup yellow". Also, the yellow horns on the Rams helmet at the time didn't show up very well on TV either. So Mr. Reeves decided to remove yellow from the uniforms altogether, opting for a simple blue and white, which as it turned out looked great on black and white TV.

Want to hear Carroll Rosenbloom's side of the story to why he brought back athletic gold?

HH - Why did the Rams change back to blue and yellow uniforms in 1973, after wearing blue and white uniforms for 9 years (1964-1972)?

TH - This was Mr. Rosenbloom's (Caroll Rosenbloom, Rams owner 1972-1979) idea, something he decided to do when he took over as the Rams owner in 1972. He felt the blue and white uniforms were somewhat bland and wanted a uniform look that better reflected the glitz of Hollywood. Horns were added to the jerseys, at the shoulder area, and we went to white shoes and blue shoes. The new jersey numbers were also pretty snazzy, they had a white trim. But we quickly discovered that the white trim made the numbers very tough to differentiate on TV so they were scrapped after the 1973 preseason.

Hint that Rosenbloom used to own the Baltimore Colts and he thought the Rams navy blue and white was too similar to his old Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis Colts) team that he brought back athletic gold since he remembered the Rams having the color scheme before.

http://www.helmethut.com/Talkhelmet/TalkHewitt.html

Oh neat, that makes sense. I thought the white/navy was their original scheme. Thanks for the info.

Regardless, I still don't like the yellow/blue, I still prefer the white/navy scheme. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grillbrosdesign said:

Oh neat, that makes sense. I thought the white/navy was their original scheme. Thanks for the info.

Regardless, I still don't like the yellow/blue, I still prefer the white/navy scheme. 

Welcome. For your color scheme and logo source, come to me. I also knew why the Bucs went with Bucco Bruce from 1976-1996.

• Like 1