Unpopular Opinions

20 hours ago, daveindc said:

They look plain and incomplete. Like the letters are just blank. The letters should have been teal, not just because the jersey needed more teal, but because it would just look better.

Plain and incomplete? I don't agree with that. That's almost subjective. One could argue the Dodgers, Cardinals, and A's have plain and incomplete home jerseys as well. Simplicity isn't always a fault and I think it worked for that Marlins jersey. They made a simple black jersey without piping and just topped it with a nice wordmark. The letters could have been teal, yes, but the silver looked sharp and was still a Marlins color.

6 hours ago, VikWings said:

The black looked awful on the whites. But didn't mind it on the road or the black alt. But the Royals should've never been wearing black to begin with.

I will agree that they never should have worn it in the first place but that doesnt mean that it is bad by default.

40-59 are the best number choices for linebackers. Especially 40-49. 90-99 not so much. Leave that to the defensive line.

One good example is Vic Beasley Jr. 

falcons-jaguars-footbal2beasley-1.jpg

NFL rules state linebackers can choose numbers 40-59 & 90-99, but teams and players can get around this rule and go even lower with number choice. Recently, there have been a few "hybrid" defensive players. Typically Safeties switching to Linebackers.

Examples of these are:

Deone Bucannon (Cardinals LB/S #20 (he has also previously worn #36))

BucNotesMAIN.jpg

Su'a Cravens (Redskins S #36 but has been playing LB a lot in preseason)

081216_falcons_CC15.JPG

Personally, I really hope extends the number choice for LBs to 30-59 & 90-99

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

40-59 are the best number choices for linebackers. Especially 40-49. 90-99 not so much. Leave that to the defensive line.

One good example is Vic Beasley Jr. 

falcons-jaguars-footbal2beasley-1.jpg

NFL rules state linebackers can choose numbers 40-59 & 90-99, but teams and players can get around this rule and go even lower with number choice. Recently, there have been a few "hybrid" defensive players. Typically Safeties switching to Linebackers.

Examples of these are:

Deone Bucannon (Cardinals LB/S #20 (he has also previously worn #36))

BucNotesMAIN.jpg

Su'a Cravens (Redskins S #36 but has been playing LB a lot in preseason)

081216_falcons_CC15.JPG

Personally, I really hope extends the number choice for LBs to 30-59 & 90-99

I agree for expanding usable numbers, though I like 90-99 for linebacker use. In fact, I'd expand the use of 90-99 to tight ends and 80-89 to linebackers. Maybe it's just from watching college football or older NFL/AFL videos where numbering rules are/were less strict and those number sets seem to be used fairly often, but those numbers always seemed to fit just as well as what we're familiar with today.

While I'm at it, why not let players use 0 (QBs/Ks/Ps) and 00 (treating it as an abridged, 2-digit version of 100; LBs/TEs/D Line)? I've never understood the rationale in keeping 0 and 00 off-limits to players except for the grandfathered Jim Otto and Ken Burrough (OK, Burrough was a WR, but still).

It'll never happen, but I can always dream, can't I?

(Side note: Apparently 90-99 were off-limits in the NFL until 1987. Maybe numbering rules weren't as loose as I had previously thought.)

Edited by DustDevil61
Fixing random phone erasing error

On 8/26/2016 at 0:08 AM, DustDevil61 said:

I agree for expanding usable numbers, though I like 90-99 for linebacker use. In fact, I'd expand the use of 90-99 to tight ends and 80-89 to linebackers. Maybe it's just from watching college football or older NFL/AFL videos where numbering rules are/were less strict and those number sets seem to be used fairly often, but those numbers always seemed to fit just as well as what we're familiar with today.

While I'm at it, why not let players use 0 (QBs/Ks/Ps) and 00 (treating it as an abridged, 2-digit version of 100; LBs/TEs/D Line)? I've never understood the rationale in keeping 0 and 00 off-limits to players except for the grandfathered Jim Otto and Ken Burrough (OK, Burrough was a WR, but still).

It'll never happen, but I can always dream, can't I?

(Side note: Apparently 90-99 were off-limits in the NFL until 1987. Maybe numbering rules weren't as loose as I had previously thought.)

I actually wouldn't mind WRs number range be expanded to 10-29,80-89. That or just do 20-29,80-89. Leave 10-19 to QBs and K/P. Something about a WR jersey number in the 20s just looks awesome.

• Like 2

On August 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM, DNAsports said:

I actually wouldn't mind WRs number range be expanded to 10-29,80-89. That or just do 20-29,80-89. Leave 10-19 to QBs and K/P. Something about a WR jersey number in the 20s just looks awesome.

Fred and Cliff would agree.  Charley and Paul would disagree since they both wore the same number (as did Ronnie on defense). ?

• Like 1

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 8/29/2016 at 0:22 PM, Ben in LA said:

Fred and Cliff would agree.  Charley and Paul would disagree since they both wore the same number (as did Ronnie on defense). ?

Also in agreement would be return ace Eric Metcalf and 1985 Bear Dennis Gentry, both of whom switched to WR and were allowed to keep their old numbers.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2016 at 8:34 PM, DNAsports said:

Agreed. But, I love single digit numbers on WRs and RBs as in college. 

• Like 2