2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

if the cowboys win 9 to 11 games this year it will be because the defense saved their asses. Offensively they will be good enough to lose in the first game of the playoffs. This is Romo after all in fact the only thing that separates him from Trent Dilfer is that Dilfer has a super bowl ring and romo can only dream of having one.

other than that should be a fun year, they won't make the super bowl or win it but should be fun anyway.

NOW it's football season. Coast bashing his favorite team on day one.

newsig.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 'Boys looked good on offense and defense. Wish we would have scored a TD on that first drive, but oh well, we still have the same red-zone problems. At least our 1st string D shut down a very high-powered offense that the Bengals have. That, my friends, is a good sign for us.

GO COWBOYS!

Are you Wade Phillips or Jason Garrett?

Hahaha, very funny. I just meant that I'm slightly disappointed that the Cowboys Offense still has red-zone problems, because we'll be facing much better defenses than the one the Bengals possess. But I was pleased to see that our defense kept the 1st string Bengals offense from crossing the 50.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

My 'Boys looked good on offense and defense. Wish we would have scored a TD on that first drive, but oh well, we still have the same red-zone problems. At least our 1st string D shut down a very high-powered offense that the Bengals have. That, my friends, is a good sign for us.

GO COWBOYS!

Hahaha, very funny. I just meant that I'm slightly disappointed that the Cowboys Offense still has red-zone problems, because we'll be facing much better defenses than the one the Bengals possess. But I was pleased to see that our defense kept the 1st string Bengals offense from crossing the 50.

The Bengals had the fourth best defense in the league last year. They have a pretty good defense. And considering how vanilla the teams schemes are in the preseason, how can you possibly put very much stock into how a team looked in their one possession?

IUe6Hvh.png

GO COWBOYS!

The Bengals had the fourth best defense in the league last year. They have a pretty good defense. And considering how vanilla the teams schemes are in the preseason, how can you possibly put very much stock into how a team looked in their one possession?

Bengals had the 6th ranked D. I don't like to use yardage as an indicator of how good a defense or an offense is. I think points should be more highly valued. And what I basing it on is that the Cowboys, in their only starters possession moved the ball into the redzone against the Bengals pretty effectively while using simple playbook. However, the Bengals on their one possession, failed to move the ball effectively. One first down and that was it. But, hey, I know it's still preseason and I am freakin' ready for the monotonous baseball to not be the only major sport on. I can't wait for some football.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I know it was a preseason game, but from the sounds of it last night's Dallas-Cincinnati was ugly, at least.

I mean, 16-7? I know both teams are rusty, but come on... At least tell the back ups to put on a show so those at the game and those watching can at least go home happy.

Nobody goes home happy from a preseason game (except possibly the little kids.)

$100 or more for a ticket, $7.50 or more for a beer, to watch guys who won't play a down in the regular season perform a watered-down versoin of the playbook. Preseason football is the biggest scam in all of sports - it should be illegal for them to force you to buy those tickets or lose your regular-season passes.

It's a hell of a business decision fron an ownership perspective though. I don't have beef with it because watching sports and going to sporting events is a privilege and luxury, not a right. If people don't like it then don't buy the product.

I do understand your point; however, I completely disagree with it.

If stadiums are paid for with public funds (and I don't know how Lincoln Field was paid for), then the games played inside of them become quasi-public goods. In my opinion the teams' owners have the civic duty to make sure the games played inside are affordable to the public.

Given that the only way to unload preseason tickets is to force them upon season ticket holders, there might be an opportunity for free or reduced tickets there.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

GO COWBOYS!

Bengals had the 6th ranked D. I don't like to use yardage as an indicator of how good a defense or an offense is. I think points should be more highly valued. And what I basing it on is that the Cowboys, in their only starters possession moved the ball into the redzone against the Bengals pretty effectively while using simple playbook. However, the Bengals on their one possession, failed to move the ball effectively. One first down and that was it. But, hey, I know it's still preseason and I am freakin' ready for the monotonous baseball to not be the only major sport on. I can't wait for some football.

Fourth.

If Carson Palmer throws a pick-six, should you really hold that against the defense? Because it counts under scoring defense.

But I digress. My point was that the Bengals have a pretty good defense.

IUe6Hvh.png

if the cowboys win 9 to 11 games this year it will be because the defense saved their asses. Offensively they will be good enough to lose in the first game of the playoffs. This is Romo after all in fact the only thing that separates him from Trent Dilfer is that Dilfer has a super bowl ring and romo can only dream of having one.

other than that should be a fun year, they won't make the super bowl or win it but should be fun anyway.

Their defense definitely has question marks also though in the secondary. Didn't Mike Jenkins absolutely get abused twice by Sidney Rice in the playoffs?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Brian Cushing's defense for his high level of HGH last September is laughable.

overtrained athlete syndrome

A quote from him: "Every individual is genetically different," he said. "I had a unique situation where something like this occurred and we have the science to back it up. It's taken months. It's really beyond what we ever thought and it's beyond the regular medical doctor."

Last year I found NFL Rewind to be a reasonably priced ($40) alternative to Sunday Ticket (death to DirecTV!!). You can't watch games live but you can watch any game in HD once all the games that day are over. You also have access to previous seasons. Bottom line is IMO it's well worth the $$.

They're also offering an option where you can watch preseason games live, which makes me wonder whether a live online regular season PPV option might be in the offing someday.

Checked the Falcons website for their first preseason game & found a nice graphic schedule. They're playing Kansas City Friday night and here's the Chiefs helmet from the schedule:

schedule_chiefs_helmet.png

"Just flip it, no one will notice." :wacko:

ETA: Just saw this...Peyton in a visor?

tx.colts2.ap.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

This is somewhat old news but I don't think it has been covered. The Jaguars sold their naming rights of the stadium. Jacksonville Municipal Stadium will be known as Everbank Field. It is currently a five year deal and Everbank let it be known that they want to keep the name for many years to come. This, combined with a no blackout season, is making the Jaguars future in Jax look better and better.

ETA: Just saw this...Peyton in a visor?

tx.colts2.ap.jpg

Yeah, his eyes were bothering him the other day. So hence the visor.

It's not going to be a full-time thing. At least I hope not, for the Colts health's and aesthetics's sake.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This is somewhat old news but I don't think it has been covered. The Jaguars sold their naming rights of the stadium. Jacksonville Municipal Stadium will be known as Everbank Field. It is currently a five year deal and Everbank let it be known that they want to keep the name for many years to come. This, combined with a no blackout season, is making the Jaguars future in Jax look better and better.

I'm sure Alltel wanted to keep the rights for many years too.

And have they officially announced all the games are sold out, or is this rather baseless optimism?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And have they officially announced all the games are sold out, or is this rather baseless optimism?

The Alltell contract ran out in 2006 and they decided not to renew it. Probably a smart move.

As part of the new naming rights, the city gives back the 25% of revenues to the Jaguars. It is around $4M over the length of the contract. Meanwhile, they may raise property taxes by 6-9%. Plus a councilman unsuccessfully to add an amendment that would have required team owner Wayne Weaver to pay back the city?s share of the naming rights money if the Jaguars moved before the five-year deal expired.

They will sellout opening day (Broncos) and the Colts. The mayor begged citizens to buy tickets last week.

Ahh, the days when they sold 10,000 club seats in 10 days.

Meh. I'm still calling it the Gator Bowl.

nav-logo.png

Ahh, the beauty of preseason games. How else can you start a drive on your opponent's 9-yard line, run 7 plays, lose 10 yards, the defense not commit a penalty throughout the entirity of the drive, and yet still manage to get 3 points out of it!

How does that happen, you ask? The only first down you can earn is if you score a touchdown, or if the defense commits a penalty that comes with an automatic first down....neither of which happened. So how did the Falcons get a first down?

Well...the officials fell asleep. Namely, Jerome Boger. (For Falcons fans, he just so happened to be the same ref that was present for that Falcons-Eagles game a year or two ago, where the Falcons were screwed out of an offensive possession because of a ball touching an Eagle on a punt...but the ball was given to the Eagles, and the Falcons were out of challenges.)

The Falcons intercepted a Chiefs pass and returns the ball to the Chiefs' 9-yard line. A run attempt went for a loss of a yard, and an incomplete pass brought up 3rd-and-goal. A pass gets completed to the 5-yard line, and after the play is dead, a Falcons O-lineman gets flagged for a personal foul. Should be 4th-and-goal from the 20, and the Falcons most likely attempt a FG. (The Falcons are already leading 17-3, and the game's in the 4th quarter.) The Falcons kicker is already on the field, but the coaches call him back to the sideline. Why?

According to Boger, the pass completion earned a first down, and the penalty was a dead-ball penalty, so the Falcons get to keep their first down. The Falcons coaches realize right away that the ref screwed up, and try to run a play so that they can't reverse their ruling. The Chiefs coach calls over the Side Judge, as well as the ref, and as you could hear clearly on both the radio and TV field mics..."The drive started at the 9! The drive started at the 9!" Surely, the officials would get together and discuss this, and change their ruling, right?

Yet, their ruling wasn't altered. The Falcons kept their first down, and gain only 3 or so yards in the next 3 plays, and settle for a FG.

Even the drive log on Yahoo looks confusing:

1st-9, KC9 14:19 A. Smith rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

2nd-10, KC10 14:19 J. Wilson incomplete pass to the left

3rd-10, KC10 14:19 J. Wilson passed to T. Bergeron to the left for 3 yard gain. ATL committed 15 yard penalty

3rd-22, KC22 14:19 A. Smith rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

2nd-7, KC19 14:19 J. Wilson incomplete pass down the middle

3rd-7, KC19 14:19 J. Wilson incomplete pass to the right

4th-7, KC19 11:23 S. Hauschka kicked a 37-yard field goal

Watching Cleveland @ Green Bay tonight on Milwaukee TV... so far the Packers' first units have picked up right where they left off in their playoff game, on both sides of the ball. Of course, that's a compliment only for the offense. Dom Capers and his defense have plenty of work to do in the next four weeks.

Edit/update: Colt McCoy just made his Browns debut in this game.

CCSLC signature.png

Watching Cleveland @ Green Bay tonight on Milwaukee TV... so far the Packers' first units have picked up right where they left off in their playoff game, on both sides of the ball. Of course, that's a compliment only for the offense. Dom Capers and his defense have plenty of work to do in the next four weeks.

Edit/update: Colt McCoy just made his Browns debut in this game.

That's why we play the preseason anyways right now I'm more interested in how the O-Line is holding mostly Brian Bulaga.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Green Bay fumbled away a punt return, giving McCoy the ball deep in Packer territory... and he promptly threw up a duck toward a double-covered receiver in the end zone. One of the easiest interceptions ever.

Welcome to the NFL, Colt McCoy. :P

CCSLC signature.png

Archived