NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

Only here do heated discussions form over the topic of athletic uniforms. I would say chill out but I can't actually say that since I'm a bit of a "hothead" at times!

Right now more people favor traditional unis because there are more people who grew up with those than there are people who grew up with modern unis (maself). So in a few years when you guys die (except infrared) everyone will love modern unis! (well duh, TopCat) Well it's past my bedtime so good night everybody.

You assume age is the primary factor in aesthetic tastes. I'm 23 and I prefer traditional looks. Though there are quite a few "modern" looks I like as well (Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, New England, Carolina, St. Louis, Seattle, Tennessee, Houston, Detroit, and Denver).

Chiming in for a second (yes, we're still here in Denver...long story): I'm almost 48 and I prefer more modern looks. Growing up, I was always interested in uniform changes, and moving ahead with the times.

That being said, I'm not crazy about some of the extraneous piping and unnecessary graphic elements...I do like the unique number fonts and although I'm in the minority here, I do like the wordmarks underneath the collars.

Wordmarks under the collars can work for some teams, but I think they come across as unnecessary on others. Like the Chargers. You don't need the wordmark there. The uniform's covered with lightning bolts. We know who you are.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True enough, 'Cap...but you know how the NFL is about "protecting their brand". If I'm not mistaken, I think the league wanted (if not outright demanded) teams to start doing that as a counterfeit countermeasure. Can somebody confirm?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Right now more people favor traditional unis because there are more people who grew up with those than there are people who grew up with modern unis

That's not entirely true. Nostalgia plays a role to be sure but it doesn't dictate a person's preferences, at least not in my case anyway. My uniform preferences have more to do with what I see as "classy" than they do with the era in which a uniform was worn. For example, the Astros wore those rainbow nightmares when I was growing up. Hated them then, hate them now. Ohio State's current look is based on what they wore in the 80's. Even though their current look is "retro-inspired" from something they wore when I was in my formative years, I still like their previous uniforms much better. The Patriots wore the red "Pat Patriot" look when I was a kid. I thought it looked weak then and I think it looks weak now. Their current uniform is far superior. Everyone loves the Rams throwbacks. I think they look cheap and I prefer their current unforms to the throwbacks.

The point I suppose is that our uniform preferences are probably more a reflection of our overall fashion preferences than they are a reflection of the era we grew up in. If a person likes new fashions in clothing etc., then that will probably carry over to the uniforms they like. If a person prefers a more laid back approach to fashion then it's likely they'll have the same preference when it comes to uniforms.

BB52Big.jpg

Chiming in for a second (yes, we're still here in Denver...long story): I'm almost 48 and I prefer more modern looks. Growing up, I was always interested in uniform changes, and moving ahead with the times.

That being said, I'm not crazy about some of the extraneous piping and unnecessary graphic elements...I do like the unique number fonts and although I'm in the minority here, I do like the wordmarks underneath the collars.

Wordmarks under the collars can work for some teams, but I think they come across as unnecessary on others. Like the Chargers. You don't need the wordmark there. The uniform's covered with lightning bolts. We know who you are.

@Colorwerx: I totally agree with the part I bolded. 100%

@Ice_Cap: Traditional teams like the Browns, Redskins, and Giants (kinda) all use collar wordmarks. It's so inconspicuous that it's not an eyesore to the overall "character" of the uniform, if you will. At least not to me. I'm all for a league-wide mandate of collar wordmarks, esp. for my beloved Saints. It helps the jersey look less "practice jersey-ish", for lack of a better term.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

@Ice_Cap: Traditional teams like the Browns, Redskins, and Giants (kinda) all use collar wordmarks. It's so inconspicuous that it's not an eyesore to the overall "character" of the uniform, if you will. At least not to me. I'm all for a league-wide mandate of collar wordmarks, esp. for my beloved Saints. It helps the jersey look less "practice jersey-ish", for lack of a better term.

i agree, it adds some authenticity to the jersey in the sam way as the NFL Equipment shield. having those on the jersey adds some quality and value to it. like saying its "approved by".

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i agree, it adds some authenticity to the jersey in the sam way as the NFL Equipment shield. having those on the jersey adds some quality and value to it. like saying its "approved by".

Count me on board with this also. I agree with Cap that it's not a neccessary element for all teams, but if I had to go either extreme, I'd want it for all 32 teams rather than having nobody with it. The Giants jerseys especially benefit, IMO, from the NY collar wordmark, it does make a very basic uni look a little more official.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

The Ravens just need to go ahead and put this logo on the helmets.

It would look odd to have eyes staring out of the side of the helmet. This is the same reason I don't like the idea of the Bears using the bear head logo like many here suggest. Animal logos should be moving forward, or be a profile.

Someone here once suggested that they keep the current logos where they are and put that logo on the front of the helmet above the bumper so it looks like one of those toys where the people in the car are in the profile when you look at the side windows, but are viewing straight when looking at the windshield. I couldn't like that idea less. My ideal Ravens helmet would take the shield secondary from the sleeves, add wings like the original logo and drop those pointy purple stripes on the front.

God, I hate those stupid stripes. No idea why they bother me as much as they do, they just do.

I'm with you on the shield.

actually they should put on this logo on their helmets

970.gif

:P

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived