2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Ryan Ludwick a Pirate

the pirates shocking the world with this blockbuster move!!!!!!!

...not

It just cracks me up that you hate on the Pirates like that. Do you have any idea how silly you look? They're the Pirates dude. There is not one good reason to hate that team.

It's his schtick. He hates the world and humanity because he lives in Akron, but at the same time he takes perverse pride in living in Akron.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hates the world and humanity because he lives in Akron, but at the same time he takes perverse pride in living in Akron.

Oh, well, there's your problem.

Let's all get pissy at a guy perhaps angry a rival city snatched up a player his team was looking for.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

I was with friends yesterday, and didn't get the chance to watch the Tigers-Halos game from Sunday until today. Just some thoughts...

Ordonez Homer - I don't think Magglio was trying to show Weaver up. You have to understand, Mags blows. That was what, his 4th home run of the season? He has no reason to be a cocky *ssh*le. And based on the slice he had on that ball, there was a fairly legit possibility that the ball would have gone foul. Sure the body language was a little much at first, but since when do you have to keep a stoic face and just keep your head down after you went deep on one of the best pitchers in the entire league? Weaver was wrong here for jawing at him on his way around the bases. You don't like the way he acts when he takes you deep, make a better pitch.

Guillen Homer - Anyone who doesn't think Guillen was rubbing Weaver's nose in it is an idiot. Obviously, Guillen didn't appreciate what Weaver said to Ordonez, and decided to make a point out of it. It was classless, but he said he felt the need to stand up for his teammate. I don't agree with it and it was a d*** move. But Weaver's reaction was even more classless. Once again Weaver, if you don't appreciate the way he trots around the bases, don't let him take you out. Then, in addition, throwing at the head of Avila is just attributed to Weaver being a hothead. Jeff Weaver was a hothead during his time with Detroit, and it's pretty obvious that it runs in the family.

Aybar Bunt - Normally, I would cry bushleague on this, but there are a few factors that make me not object to it as much. First, the Halos are competing for division title and every game counts. It's not like they're the Seattle Mariners are bunting to break up no-no's. Secondly, it was a 3-0 game and the game was very much up for grabs. If the Tigers are winning by 5 or 6 runs, then it's a different story. Third, the game at this point became very personal with both Weaver and Scioscia being ejected. If he felt he could break up something special for the Tigers, then by all means possible, he was going to do it.

On a semi-related note, this has to be one of the most interesting AL Cy Young race we've had in some time. Which horse are you taking: CC, Verlander, or Weaver?

Bunting for no reason other than to bust up someone's no-hitter is sort of "bush league", but the fact that someone can do that just makes the no-hitters that much harder to get and that much more special IMO. Bunting in a bunting situation is certainly not bush league and nobody should ever have to apoligize for it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Guillen's little display after the home run was 100% bush league, classlessness. I don't condone throwing at the dome, but Guillen needs to have a little more common sense and expect some sort of repercussion after he stands and watches a home run, walks and watches the home run, stares down the pitcher, spits (multiple times) at the pitcher while looking at him, skipping down the line, and then mouthing off to the pitcher as he rounds the bases. But that's just me.

As for the bunt... Anyone who says its classless or that it is breaking The Code is a moron. Let's get things straight here... It's LATE August against playoff contending teams. The score is 3-0 with a player who beats you by bunting, getting walks, stealing bases, taking the extra base and advancing on passed balls. He plays for an AL West Contender, who's biggest challenger for the Division just made 2 huge moves to make themselves a lot better. They are playing an AL Central contender who made 2 trades that made themselves a lot better, battling with a team who just made a trade to land an "ace" to put at the front of their rotation.

Sorry... but there should be more of a discussion/out cry over A-Rod walking over the pitching mound with Dallas Braden on the bump.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Guillen's little display after the home run was 100% bush league, classlessness. I don't condone throwing at the dome, but Guillen needs to have a little more common sense and expect some sort of repercussion after he stands and watches a home run, walks and watches the home run, stares down the pitcher, spits (multiple times) at the pitcher while looking at him, skipping down the line, and then mouthing off to the pitcher as he rounds the bases. But that's just me.

As for the bunt... Anyone who says its classless or that it is breaking The Code is a moron. Let's get things straight here... It's LATE August against playoff contending teams. The score is 3-0 with a player who beats you by bunting, getting walks, stealing bases, taking the extra base and advancing on passed balls. He plays for an AL West Contender, who's biggest challenger for the Division just made 2 huge moves to make themselves a lot better. They are playing an AL Central contender who made 2 trades that made themselves a lot better, battling with a team who just made a trade to land an "ace" to put at the front of their rotation.

Sorry... but there should be more of a discussion/out cry over A-Rod walking over the pitching mound with Dallas Braden on the bump.

First off, not quite.

Second: no one is saying that, so you can get off your soapbox. No one has disagreed with you on the second point and all you did was reiterate points that other people have already made.

Third, holy cow. Not only did Guillen do all that, I also saw him urinate on the pitcher's mound rounding second base and by third base he had made voodoo dolls of the entire Weaver family. Sheeeeeesh. Was it classless? Yeah, probably. Was it the worst example of sportsmanship I've ever seen? Not even close. Did Weaver deserve some of it after yelling at Ordonez a few innings earlier? I'd be inclined to say so. There's a difference between a lack of sportsmanship and losing control.

You'd think professional athletes could nut up a little here when it comes to this whole "being happy you did something virtually impossible" thing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

this guy

PENCE.gif.pagespeed.ce.2hPjw6Bfyo.gif

Phils were down 3-1, 2 outs nobody on, got a double by Ruiz and an 8-pitch, full count 2-run HR from Mayberry Jr to tie it, then Victorino smacks a HR in the 10th to win it. 7 games up in the East...

Third, holy cow. Not only did Guillen do all that, I also saw him urinate on the pitcher's mound rounding second base and by third base he had made voodoo dolls of the entire Weaver family. Sheeeeeesh. Was it classless? Yeah, probably. Was it the worst example of sportsmanship I've ever seen? Not even close. Did Weaver deserve some of it after yelling at Ordonez a few innings earlier? I'd be inclined to say so. There's a difference between a lack of sportsmanship and losing control.

That settles that. Now we know why it took him 29 seconds to round the bases. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Looks like Roy Oswalt is ready to rejoin the Phils. If his back holds up, he should be a decent 5th starter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm hoping the Indians hold muscle memory from last night. That's the team that went 30-15 in April.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

Archived