2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REALLY Cleveland?

I don't care how bad the team is going to be. Less than 10K on the first Saturday of the year is just pathetic.

I'm going to bookmark that story for every facebook friend that feels the need to spout about what a diehard, loyal city Cleveland is. No, you're just like everyone else. When the team loses, you disappear, just like everyone else. What's that? You had some attendance record in the 90's? I'm sure that had nothing to do with a gorgeous new ballpark at the same time the team was good for the first time in 40 years. Might I add, a team so good it's astounding they never won a World Series.

Game 2 is always one of the most poorly attended games of the season, but baseball moved opening day to help change that by putting game 2 on Saturday. Maybe they should've done what the Reds did where they had opening day and then game 2 was played at 7 pm and sold as "Opening Night". I can see why they'd be apprehensive about night baseball in Cleveland in early April though.

Also, the Reds are 2-0 for only the 3rd time in the last 20 years. Sweet! Magic number's at 160.

PvO6ZWJ.png

True McCarthy, when the Reds suck they still get fans in stands.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but even if it is, what exactly does this prove?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"These fans have a knack for getting louder than everyone else. I don't know what it is. I don't know if it's alcohol-induced or what," Lee joked. "They definitely have a knack for getting loud and supporting their team."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have no idea if this is true or not, but even if it is, what exactly does this prove?

When I was going to Reds games (2005-2006 seasons), they had $5 upper deck seats. I wonder if that's still the case. Also, of the handful of baseball stadiums I've been to, Great American is probably the all-around best. Good value, lots of exhibitions, and a nice, clean venue. It kind of got overlooked in the early-2000s stadium boom, and I think it deserves more attention.

Also, when I moved to Seattle, bleacher seats started at $6. Now they're $10. Why anyone pays $40 or more to go to an MLB game I'll never know.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Eric Wedge will do what he always does, and guide the Mariners to just enough wins to keep him from getting fired, but not enough wins to make them respectable. Repeat until 2014.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It proves that Reds fans are better than Indians fans. I think.

BB52Big.jpg

But that's the thing, they really don't. We're like everybody else. If the team sucks, the attendance sucks. We weren't selling out for those 70 win teams of the last ten years.

What I was saying earlier is that Indians fans are not as great as they think they are.

I've come to the conclusion that no fanbase is really more diehard or loyal than the next. Every fanbase reacts pretty similarly to a given situation as any other fanbase would. People are people, no matter where they're from or what team they cheer for.

PvO6ZWJ.png

But that's the thing, they really don't. We're like everybody else. If the team sucks, the attendance sucks. We weren't selling out for those 70 win teams of the last ten years.

What I was saying earlier is that Indians are not as great as they think they are.

I've come to the conclusion that no fanbase is really more diehard or loyal than the next. Every fanbase reacts pretty similarly to a given situation as any other fanbase would. People are people, no matter where they're from or what team they cheer for.

From the "things I never thought I'd say" files... I gotta give credit where it's due. I think Red Sox fans may be the exception to that rule. I haven't paid close enough attention to state this as fact but, in all my years of following baseball, I can't recall watching a single Red Sox game where the stands weren't pretty full. I may be wrong but it seems to me that, regardless of the team's record, the Red Sox fans have always shown up. (Good Lord, I can't believe I'm on here saying something nice about Boston fans. :D )

BB52Big.jpg

Indeed, Red Sox fans do deserve props for showing up no matter what. However, they've cancelled out that goodwill with their insistence on keeping the "woe is us, we're a tortured fanbase" act despite two recent World Series championships. Not a season goes by without Buckner and the Curse of the Bambino getting brought up at least 100 times. Get over it - your silly "curse" came to an end years ago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

THREE GAMES IN AND THE GODDAM (insert name of team here) CAN'T EVEN (insert what you don't like about the team three games in) WHY AM I STILL OH GODDAMMIT

jesus christ, lighten up, it isn't even May yet.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived