2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres have always had a boring identity in my lifetime so this is nothing new. Personally, I'd rather look boring and classy than the clown suits the Marlin's play ball in.

As A marlins fan, I would rather have these "clown suits" that are unique and different then another navy and white team.

Other than the Rays, AL East is a good looking division (uniform wise)

Rays look just fine.

The Padres look decent and I consider their changes an upgrade, but only compared to their previous set. If they had all the wordmarks and numbers trimmed in sand, it'd be better. Though is they had this design and made it brown and gold, it'd be awesome.

Whats so bad about Tampa's Look...

The incredibly generic style? The generic color scheme? The mix-up of the old identity, which they seem so hell-bent on erasing, with their current identity? By itself, it's not that the Rays look inherently bad, just plain as it gets. There is no character to their entire set, and the only jersey that could possibly provide that, the powder blue's, are confined to Sunday home games inside a dingy dome.

spacer.png

Whats so bad about Tampa's Look...

The incredibly generic style? The generic color scheme? The mix-up of the old identity, which they seem so hell-bent on erasing, with their current identity? By itself, it's not that the Rays look inherently bad, just plain as it gets. There is no character to their entire set, and the only jersey that could possibly provide that, the powder blue's, are confined to Sunday home games inside a dingy dome.

I don't think TB's unis are amazing or anything, but I'm going to have to defend them a little here.

First off, their color scheme is anything but generic, especially when compared to division counterparts NYY, BOS, and TOR. How many teams in the MLB have powder blue as a truly utilized color? I'd actually say their color scheme is one of the most unique ones in baseball.

The mix-up of era identities is becoming a regular thing these days, across many leagues. Its bound to happen when you have some fans wanting old and some fans wanting current. The Orioles are kind of doing the same thing. And not to get off topic, but in the NBA, a bunch of teams have done that.

I might give you that it lacks character, but that's par for the course in MLB. Just look at the boring uniforms some other teams wear. It has the most boring uniforms in professional sports, and it's not just the Rays.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The Padres have never had an identity since ditching the brown and gold.

How so? They've been wearing navy blue and white for 20 years now. That's their identity. You may not like it, but it is one.

The Padres & Rays current sets are both just... there. They're a bit bland & generic but there's nothing actually specifically wrong with them. At least they actually look like Major League teams, unlike the Marlins

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

My biggest beef with the Rays set are:

1. No "Tampa Bay" script

2. They're so generic and bland. How many navy teams are there? Yankees, Tigers, Brewers, Padres, Red Sox, Mariners. How many 2-tone blue teams? Blue Jays, Royals, Dodgers (I'm counting the Brooklyn throwbacks). The green-blue was unique and really looked good. There's no need to be navy and powder.

Dearest CCSLC members,

I have an important confession to make.

Since 2004, the year their now-defunct team branding identity was unveiled, I've been going down the path in thinking that my favourite team, the Toronto Blue Jays, could have an effective identity involving Black, and more specifically, Graphite.

Throughout this time, I have been notorious thought the CCSLC as being one of the few who shamelessly advocated this. I even did a small piece for a Uni-Watch column about the Blue Jays unused Graphite road uniforms.

I have made a huge mistake.

Thanks to the new 2012 team branding, and now after seeing them in action, I'm officially denouncing my beliefs over the past 8 years and finally admitting that they should have NEVER gone to Graphite in the first place. Their new look is as close to perfect for the Blue Jays as possible.

Blue_Jays_Indians_Baseball_257961_game.jpg

You might be thinking that this statement is pretty obvious, but consider the source.

Sincere apologies to all those whose time I've wasted in preaching my beliefs on this over the past 8 years.

Thanks,

Braden

2cda10c2_slow-clap.gif

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Rays look just fine.

The Padres look decent and I consider their changes an upgrade, but only compared to their previous set. If they had all the wordmarks and numbers trimmed in sand, it'd be better. Though if they had this design and made it brown and gold, it'd be awesome.

Agreed on all counts, especially the brown and gold.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a truly "awful" uniform in MLB. The "worst" are probably the Rockies, Marlins, and Astros and they aren't even close to being the baseball equivalent of the bottom of the barrel "clown suits" we have to endure in the NFL or College Football. In other words, the worst uniform in MLB is on the same aesthetic level as a middle of the pack NFL or college football uniform. Fortunately, MLB is devoid of any Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals, *Seahawks, et al levels of absurdity.

*What happened to the Seahawks really is a shame. They were the simple step of wearing white pants at home away from being a top five NFL uniform. Now, they're probably the worst look in the league. And in a league that has the Vikings, Bengals, and Cardinals, that's really saying something.

BB52Big.jpg

Rays look just fine.

The Padres look decent and I consider their changes an upgrade, but only compared to their previous set. If they had all the wordmarks and numbers trimmed in sand, it'd be better. Though if they had this design and made it brown and gold, it'd be awesome.

Agreed on all counts, especially the brown and gold.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a truly "awful" uniform in MLB. The "worst" are probably the Rockies, Marlins, and Astros and they aren't even close to being the baseball equivalent of the bottom of the barrel "clown suits" we have to endure in the NFL or College Football. In other words, the worst uniform in MLB is on the same aesthetic level as a middle of the pack NFL or college football uniform. Fortunately, MLB is devoid of any Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals, *Seahawks, et al levels of absurdity.

*What happened to the Seahawks really is a shame. They were the simple step of wearing white pants at home away from being a top five NFL uniform. Now, they're probably the worst look in the league. And in a league that has the Vikings, Bengals, and Cardinals, that's really saying something.

Agreed on all these accounts.

Dearest CCSLC members,

Since 2004, the year their now-defunct team branding identity was unveiled, I've been going down the path in thinking that my favourite team, the Toronto Blue Jays, could have an effective identity involving Black, and more specifically, Graphite.

Throughout this time, I have been notorious thought the CCSLC as being one of the few who shamelessly advocated this. I even did a small piece for a Uni-Watch column about the Blue Jays unused Graphite road uniforms.

Thanks to the new 2012 team branding, and now after seeing them in action, I'm officially denouncing my beliefs over the past 8 years and finally admitting that they should have NEVER gone to Graphite in the first place. Their new look is as close to perfect for the Blue Jays as possible.

You might be thinking that this statement is pretty obvious, but consider the source.

Sincere apologies to all those whose time I've wasted in preaching my beliefs on this over the past 8 years.

Thanks,

Braden

I was 7 or 8 when they rebranded as the black and graphite jays and as a kid, I didn't really like the previous jerseys but I thought the new look was really cool. One funny thing is that I thought they actually shortened their name to the Jays.

Fast-forward to around 2010-2011, I realized how dated the identity was and I learned that they should have never changed from the World Series era unis.

The current unis are amazing and I can't wait to see them in action tomorrow!

Dearest CCSLC members,

Thanks,

Braden

I was 7 or 8 when they rebranded as the black and graphite jays and as a kid, I didn't really like the previous jerseys but I thought the new look was really cool. One funny thing is that I thought they actually shortened their name to the Jays.

Fast-forward to around 2010-2011, I realized how dated the identity was and I learned that they should have never changed from the World Series era unis.

The current unis are amazing and I can't wait to see them in action tomorrow!

That rebrand in my opinion wasn't that bad. In fact when it first happened, I was all for it. The entire look was something refreshing. But when they started to emphasize black a lot more than blue, that's when I started to not like it. The colors were that of an actual blue jay but the lack of blue hurt the image. I am glad they went back to a look that's primarily blue -- the way it should have been

Go A's!

The Padres have never had an identity since ditching the brown and gold.

How so? They've been wearing navy blue and white for 20 years now. That's their identity. You may not like it, but it is one.

The color scheme is the least of their troubles, TBH. The home script looks a lot like the Cubs' "Cuba" script, the road jerseys are too Yankees, they haven't decided whether or not they want to ditch the sand color, relegating it to script and number trim at home only, their hat is a Yankees ripoff, etc. It's a mismatched mess of elements they've ripped off from teams with actual histories. That is not an identity... it's a mess.

And it was even worse a few years back when the navy blue and orange set was coming to the end of its run and they started wearing Tigers ripoffs at home, yet kept the orange trim on the road, alternate, and batting practice jerseys. It shouldn't be that hard to pick a distinctive color scheme and run with it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Rays are the worst in the league for several reasons many mentioned. The hilarity of the owners being dead set on the name change meaning rays of sunshine, what a pathetic nickname, and yet keeping the Devil Ray on the shoulder to appease some.

But the main reason is because of the severity in downgrade. From a unique name and color scheme to the definition of downgrade. It's plain, copycat, unoriginal, uncreative, and just sad looking.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived