2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

nc0406padres321270x005_t620x349.jpg?355b3277bec9d339f1728cced3aced55a8e84e56

Between the basic nature of the uniform, and the name and number on the back, this looks like a screen grab of a beta version of an upcoming MLB video game.

:puke: Who's bright idea was it to have placket piping, neck piping, and double sleeve piping? What a disaster.

It's a nod to the old PCL set they wore in the 1940's. That set was navy/red/cream, and it had all the double piping. They wore the TBTC versions of them in 2006 or so, and they probably could have switched to them full time now and it wouldn't have been the worst thing they've ever done.

Let me clarify something; the Padres do not have "double-piping". The Rangers, Royals roads and alts and the Nationals use double-piping. The Braves and Reds roadies use triple-piping. The Padres use single colored piping. They just use it in more areas.

Basically if you took a jersey and put piping in each spot that would be an option (placket, off the edge of the sleeves, on the edge of the sleeves, and around/on the collar), it would look like the Padres uniforms. Instead of choosing a combination of areas, they chose them all. The next option once you've picked the areas where you want piping, would be to decide how many colors, or, how many colors wide you want. Used to be single or triple. Now that cheap, Walmart jersey looking double-piping has become an option. Anyway, the Padres chose single colored. That's why you only see single piping on the pants.

Hope I explained that well enough. If not, later when I'm at home, I'll make a diagram and post it. Otherwise, carry on with your regularly scheduled programming.

I referred to it as double piping because that's how he described it. I've seen it explained as double piping, as the way you described it, and as neck trim & collar trim. It all depends on the company you are ordering the jerseys from.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone didn't get the memo…hopefully they'll order a new sign soon. (taken April 8, 2012)

190766b9.jpg

For the love of all things holy, please take out the %7Boption%7D tags before this gets quoted nine times.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Wow. That looks really good. I gotta agree with vmd9, go with a darker navy and lose the red brim. Do that and it's pretty much a perfect uniform.

and make Chief big again.

This looks so much better than the hats they wear now.

jim-thome.jpg

It's almost like they said, "it's a less offensive logo if it's smaller."

I also hate the blue they use now. It often appears purple in the sun.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A lot of Toronto fans made the trip down to Cleveland over the weekend, as I saw Jays jerseys and hats everywhere downtown on Saturday night. And literally every piece of Jays apparel I saw was from this year's redesign. Looks like the new identity is every bit as popular with the locals as it is with the hardcore uniform enthusiasts here.

As for the Indians, I know I've gone off the rails about this before, but what's so absurd about the Indians' set is that they insist on using two shades of navy for their hats. They quietly shrunk Wahoo and lightened the blue on all the hats in '03 (a year after they overhauled the set and added silver). When they introduced the navy block C hat and faux-back cream unis in '08, the block C hat was the darker navy that had been used for decades. Yet, they still kept the lighter navy for the Wahoo hats.

They did such a nice job of tweaking the script uniforms this year to bridge the gap with the block uniforms by making the numbers/names consistent. You'd THINK picking one shade of blue for your hats would be part of that bridge, but apparently not.

pMLB2-4266150dt.jpg

pMLB2-3537324dt.jpg

Maybe as an alternate hat. There'd be no reason to ditch the classic A's monogram.

Oh I agree the primary/home will probably keep the long time "A's" on it as they've had for over 95 years of the team's history outside the few years they had the "KC". But I can see the far newer road cap or a third alternate cap getting an "SJ" of some sort (not like the A's haven't had third caps previously). And I'm sure the city leaders in SJ won't object if the A's put "SJ" on at least one of the caps.

headliners-x-new-era-custom-san-jose-giants-golden-state-warriors-59fifty-fitted-caps-2.jpg

That's the San Jose Giants (Giants single A affiliate) logo

It is. It's also identical or similar to the cap logos of many of the minor league teams that predated the San Jose Giants. If the A's were to ever get an SJ logo it would be very similar to this logo if not exactly identical.

Archived