2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

Ugh. One of my oft-used concept pet peeves - Putting Philadelphia on a road Phillies jersey. It is stupid and I've never seen it look good. One, from what other city would a team called the Phillies be from? The nickname is the city identifier. Two, it's a really long word and when it's displayed on a straight plane (which looks bad on the regular Phillies script as is) then it has to be scaled down so much that the letters become tiny. At the very least, arch that thing.

Amen!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. One of my oft-used concept pet peeves - Putting Philadelphia on a road Phillies jersey. It is stupid and I've never seen it look good. One, from what other city would a team called the Phillies be from? The nickname is the city identifier. Two, it's a really long word and when it's displayed on a straight plane (which looks bad on the regular Phillies script as is) then it has to be scaled down so much that the letters become tiny. At the very least, arch that thing.

THIS.

I would add to that the insistence on putting the Phillies in powder blue. They only ever used it as a road base, it was never actually properly part of their color scheme.

Indeed. The Phillies never considered it a team colour back in the day. Why are we humouring the notion that it was now?

Is it that hard for people to post their concepts in the CONCEPTS section?? <_<

In short, yes.

Dude, every 8-10 pages, the "Phily's current set sucks, this is what I would do" thread pops up. People NEVER move it to the concepts thread.

lol Doesn't make it right though, does it?

Jeebus. You guys are complaining about me and LightsOut sharing what we thought the Phillies should look like in two posts then you take up another 10 to complain about it. Let it go and let's get back to talking about new uniforms and such.

One of my favorite uniforms for the Astros will be worn tonight during the Astros last Flashback Friday promotion.

Screen-shot-2012-08-10-at-16.37.40--590x607.png

Thoughts?

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Jeebus. You guys are complaining about me and LightsOut sharing what we thought the Phillies should look like in two posts then you take up another 10 to complain about it. Let it go and let's get back to talking about new uniforms and such.

One of my favorite uniforms for the Astros will be worn tonight during the Astros last Flashback Friday promotion.

Thoughts?

This uniform was worn around the time when I started really following baseball. So despite this not being praised as a classic, it has special meaning to me. Glad to see it back

Go A's!

THIS.

I would add to that the insistence on putting the Phillies in powder blue. They only ever used it as a road base, it was never actually properly part of their color scheme.

Indeed. The Phillies never considered it a team colour back in the day. Why are we humouring the notion that it was now?

I'm not saying they did. That's why I called it an "Aston Villa-esque color scheme".

Also, it just looks right to have city names on the road, even for the Phillies.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Also, it just looks right to have city names on the road, even for the Phillies.

In principle, yes. In practice Philadelphia is just too long to look good.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

brweers2-590x409.jpg

I really wish they'd do a button-down version of these like they did the '82 homes.

Make it grey, and I agree.

I could go for either one to be honest. The Brewers were one of the few teams that actually looked good in powder blue.

Everybody loved the Giants' old road greys and those had "San Francisco" spelled out in tiny narrow block letters.

But the Giants' city name also isn't implied in the team nickname.

THIS.

Just like how Powder Blue was never officially part of the Royals, Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Rangers, Pilots, or any of the other teams that wore Powder Blue back in the day.

(Except for the Blue Jays - they were one of the only exceptions.)

Thoughts?

Like I said, it comes up every 8-10 pages. This is the first time there has been backlash. Considering how much it comes up, these few complaining posts don't even come close to matching the number of posts that conceptualize Phils' changes. Take it to Concepts and there won't be any more compaints.

As to the Astros, their beat reporter said on Twitter tonight that the team wants to wear these uniforms on Saturday night as well after their walk-off win tonight, to keep the good karma going.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Thoughts?

Like I said, it comes up every 8-10 pages. This is the first time there has been backlash. Considering how much it comes up, these few complaining posts don't even come close to matching the number of posts that conceptualize Phils' changes. Take it to Concepts and there won't be any more compaints.

As to the Astros, their beat reporter said on Twitter tonight that the team wants to wear these uniforms on Saturday night as well after their walk-off win tonight, to keep the good karma going.

That's good I liked the 90s set.

Everybody loved the Giants' old road greys and those had "San Francisco" spelled out in tiny narrow block letters.

If the Phillies are gonn put the city name on the jerseys, then just put Phila on them. Problem solved.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

THIS.

I'm not saying they did. That's why I called it an "Aston Villa-esque color scheme".

Yet it's quite obvious that the inspiration wasn't Aston Villa, but the Phillies' 70s/80s/early 90s uniforms. Why else deck them out in maroon if not to call back to those days? Which is fine, if that's what you're going for. It just grinds my gears when people say "the Phillies should go back to maroon and powder blue." Not only because powder blue was never a colour of theirs (though it is the main reason), but also because I don't think it's a strong colour scheme in and of itself. I can't put my finger on it, but maroon and powder blue is just missing something.

Ideally. The Phillies are an exception, given the cumbersome nature of the word "Philadelphia" on the front of a baseball jersey in the Phillies' current font and the fact that the name "Phillies" indicates where the team is from.

Archived