2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Illinois won the bowl game of possibly the two least deserving teams to make it. The offense was brutal as usual, but Whitney Mercilus didn't disappoint and got 2 sacks to break Simeon Rice's school record.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Thrilled to see my Utes win the Sun Bowl in OT. Definitely a great end to a rather rough up-and-down season, and certainly a great start to thier Pac-12 tenure as mentioned here earlier. Go Utes!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Just fantastic to see Isaiah Pead go out like that. Collaros could have had a better game, but I appreciate the hours he put in just to be out there today. Can't wait to see him work his way up the coaching ranks in the coming years, and to see the rest of the NFL get Pead on every Sunday.

Washington fired three coaches today.

DC Nick Holt

LB Coach Mike Cox

Safeties coach Jeff Mills

From the story:

Holt's official salary at UW was $650,004, Cox's was 220,008 and Mills' was $155,004.

Under the terms of their original contracts, each would receive one year's salary if terminated "without cause'' which would be the case here. So my understanding is each would receive the amount listed above --- and under the terms of their original deals it would come in a lump sum within 30 days of the date of termination.

However, I do not know if any recent changes were made to any of contracts and will not be able to get that info until after the school reopens business after the holiday on Tuesday. But if the details of their original contracts are correct, then UW would be writing checks for roughly $1.025 million to the three coaches let go today.

Shouldn't being a defensive coach on a team which allowed 777 yards in a bowl game be considered being fired "WITH cause"?

Raise a hand if anyone thinks the current bowl system is a joke.......

How many bowls are there? and maybe 3 maybe 4 at best are somewhat interesting viewing..

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Just fantastic to see Isaiah Pead go out like that. Collaros could have had a better game, but I appreciate the hours he put in just to be out there today. Can't wait to see him work his way up the coaching ranks in the coming years, and to see the rest of the NFL get Pead on every Sunday.

Totally agreed. Pead is the total NFL package. For all of you who haven't seen him yet: imagine Maurice Jones-Drew, but three inches taller.

Go 'Cats!

25yzwqg.png

Well, that's certainly a good start to Utah's tenure in the Pac-12.

Well SOME Pac12 team had to win a bowl game this year...may as well be us!

Utah might be the lone Pac-12 bowl win.

A possible 1-6 record for the Pac-12 in bowl games this season. Not good. Not Good.

A Big East team is about to beat an SEC team? How did that happen? :P

Yeah, the last team in the SEC to qualify for postseason couldn't quite finish off the Big East co-Champion.

Yeah, but we're talking an SEC team here. "The last team in the SEC to qualify for postseason" should easily win any other conference, right? Especially the pathetic Big East. So it was quite an upset, right? B)

BB52Big.jpg

Oh you know that when they say "big impression", they really meant an offer of 100,000 dollars or more. No way does a dude commit to Indiana after considering Notre Dame and Vandy, then just all of the sudden commits to LSU out of nowhere without getting a big fat under the table check.

"When I went to Lousiana, it was just awesome."

Uh huh, right.

No :censored:ing clue why he ever considered going to Bloomington. After he decommitted though, LSU was always a choice...

It was 30 minutes away?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Honestly, I don't see the difference, in concept. Both are chess matches, both are situations where each team is waiting for the other to mess up. The one thing that got me about the 9-6 game was because of all the mistakes that were made. I mean, 2 missed field goals are not a result of good defense (a blocked one is though).

You thought mistakes were made in that one? Wait until you give the two teams more than a month off. It'll be halftime before they remember what they are supposed to be doing.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The fact is, I think you're going to get different opinions on the types of games based on who people are fans of. Typically, you'll see Big 10 fans and somewhat SEC fans enjoy more of defensive struggles, while you'll have Pac-12 fans and somewhat Big 12 fans enjoy the high-scoring games. That's the way it is and it has a lot to do with the style of football that's played. I'm not going to sit here and tell you a defensive game is more exciting than an offensive game because frankly, I know I'm not going to change your mind and that's not what I'm here to do.

/I thought ESS EEE SEE SPEED was about the offense PAAAAWWWWLLLLL

Today, we are all otaku.

Oh you know that when they say "big impression", they really meant an offer of 100,000 dollars or more. No way does a dude commit to Indiana after considering Notre Dame and Vandy, then just all of the sudden commits to LSU out of nowhere without getting a big fat under the table check.

"When I went to Lousiana, it was just awesome."

Uh huh, right.

No :censored:ing clue why he ever considered going to Bloomington. After he decommitted though, LSU was always a choice...

It was 30 minutes away?

That shouldn't make it attractive! ^_^

6fQjS3M.png

As much as we're about the speed and the offense, I'm sure a majority of fans don't want to see high scoring games. I enjoy blowouts against teams that should be blown out, but close low scoring games against a good opponent is much more enjoyable to me.

The fact is, I think you're going to get different opinions on the types of games based on who people are fans of. Typically, you'll see Big 10 fans and somewhat SEC fans enjoy more of defensive struggles, while you'll have Pac-12 fans and somewhat Big 12 fans enjoy the high-scoring games. That's the way it is and it has a lot to do with the style of football that's played. I'm not going to sit here and tell you a defensive game is more exciting than an offensive game because frankly, I know I'm not going to change your mind and that's not what I'm here to do.

Yay Amarillo!

Archived