Best Nickname in Sports?

raysox

digging one up from the archives, your boy Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd

You beat me to it. But I'll still post this anyway:

Oil-Can-Boyd-Boston-Red-Sox-1987-Topps-Card-06-22-10.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chipper Jones

jones.jpg

Just because it seems like Chipper is his real name instead of Larry.

It has to be Chipper Jones. When about 75% (just an estimation, no actual data was collected) of the world thinks your nickname is your actual name, then you have clearly won the best nickname contest.

jNTsTyQ.png

Chipper Jones

jones.jpg

Just because it seems like Chipper is his real name instead of Larry.

It has to be Chipper Jones. When about 75% (just an estimation, no actual data was collected) of the world thinks your nickname is your actual name, then you have clearly won the best nickname contest.

Well, under those rules then Magic Johnson wins. Because, everyone knows Magic and Chipper Jones isn't nearly as popular :P

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I wouldn't consider any of these among the "best" nicknames...but I just took a trip down memory lane and a few more of my favorites popped up:

williams_pooh_bear.jpg

Clarence Williams, although maybe only two people knew that while he played there. More popularly known as "Pooh Bear" Williams.

minnis_snoop.jpg

Marvin "Snoop" Minnis. So named because somehow someone got the idea in his/her head that he resembled the real Snoop.

Then there's this guy, who some simply took to calling "Alphabet Soup"--and once you see his name, you'll know why. I really wish this guy had made it to the NFL, if only to see a/ how announcers would handle pronouncing his name, and b/ seeing how manufacturers would handle his NOB.

Kaipo-NoaHiwahiwaAkahiKaheaku-Enhada.jpg

For those unfamiliar, this guy was Navy's starting QB for several seasons, and a pretty good one at that. His name? Kaipo-Noa Hiwahiwa Akahi Kaheaku-Enhada. (And now you know why I wish he would've made it into the NFL.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How about Charles Theodore "Chili" Davis?

1465170.jpg.17763_display_image.jpg?1268343092

I've also liked "Jaws" for Ron Jaworski.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I wouldn't consider any of these among the "best" nicknames...but I just took a trip down memory lane and a few more of my favorites popped up:

Clarence Williams, although maybe only two people knew that while he played there. More popularly known as "Pooh Bear" Williams.

Marvin "Snoop" Minnis. So named because somehow someone got the idea in his/her head that he resembled the real Snoop.

Then there's this guy, who some simply took to calling "Alphabet Soup"--and once you see his name, you'll know why. I really wish this guy had made it to the NFL, if only to see a/ how announcers would handle pronouncing his name, and b/ seeing how manufacturers would handle his NOB.

For those unfamiliar, this guy was Navy's starting QB for several seasons, and a pretty good one at that. His name? Kaipo-Noa Hiwahiwa Akahi Kaheaku-Enhada. (And now you know why I wish he would've made it into the NFL.)

You forgot two of Florida State's best nicknames.

Marvin "Shade Tree" Jones

"Bar None" William Floyd

Archived