Records You've Witnessed

LeGooo

Sat through the longest rain delay in Major League history at the time and then left 15 minutes before the game resumed.

Saw the Yankees either set or tie the major league record for most home runs hit over a nine inning game in a losing effort. (Forget which one but they hit six)

Saw John Franco get tossed on John Franco day, aka the day the Mets set aside to honor his 300th save. He didn't even come in the game. He came out of the bullpen to argue a call around the sixth inning or so. I guess he figured umps wouldn't throw him out on John Franco day or something, or that he knew he had the day off and thought it would be funny to get thrown out of the game on a day honoring him. Really don't know what he was thinking.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- I saw Jim Thome's 400th HR. Griffey could've hit his 500th in the same game, but Cincy benched him for the entire series so he could hit it at home.

- 2010 Frozen Four, won by Boston College. Such a fun week in Detroit.

- Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best's first regular season home game in Detroit. I sat in the section next to Best's family....and this happened:

- I caught a few Calder Cup games in Hershey....none of which were cup-cliners, but I had seats at the glass for two of them.

The Angels' combined eight inning no-hitter in which they lost to the Dodgers, and a few others I can't remember.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Thought of another one that's not so great: I went to my one and only NASCAR race at Watkins Glen in 1991. What was notable is not the winner, but that driver J. D. McDuffie died in a car crash. Because Watkins Glen is a road course and my view was at some corner through the woods, I had no idea there was a death until I got home. I was also a kid and didn't care.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I saw Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam on the first pitch he ever saw in the major leagues. He was the first player in MLB history ever to do so on the first pitch. September 2, 2006

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I was there for the first ever Blue Jays triple play vs. the Chicago White Sox at old Exhibition Stadium with my dad. It was my only time at a Blue Jays game, and since my baseball knowledge was very limited at that time, if it wasn't for the stadium announcement, I wouldn't have known...

tigercatssignature-1.png

- I caught a few Calder Cup games in Hershey....none of which were cup-cliners, but I had seats at the glass for two of them.

Sadly I was at one for Hershey in Hamilton. Got confetti dumped on us at the end of the game by excited Bears fans. Fortunately I was there when Ajay Baine scored a shorthanded game winning goal against Hershey in 2007 to clinche the Cup for the Bulldogs. Revenge IS a dish best served cold... ^_^

tigercatssignature-1.png

I saw Jonathan Papelbon's MLB debut, July 31, 2005, a game at Fenway against the Twins. Most people thought Manny would be traded that day (me included), but (of course) he wasn't, was subbed into the game in the 8th inning and drove in the winning run.

Pap's debut was as a starter, not as a closer, but he pitched pretty decently from what I can recall. Don't know if he got the win, though.

EDIT: No decision for Pap. 5 and a third innings pitched.

spacer.png

I saw an unassisted triple play. Asdrubal Cabrera Indians vs. Blue Jays on May 12, 2008. There have only been 15 of them in MLB history so that was pretty cool. Plus we had front row seats just to the left of home plate so I had a great view of it.

BB52Big.jpg

- I saw Jim Thome's 400th HR. Griffey could've hit his 500th in the same game, but Cincy benched him for the entire series so he could hit it at home.

I was also at that game. Rained, if I recall.

Since I work there, I've witnessed pretty much every event ever at Lincoln Financial Field, including:

4th and 26

2003 NFC Championship (Panthers won)

2004 NFC Championship (Eagles won)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was in Minnesota to watch Mark Buehrle retire the first 17 batters in a row, breaking the MLB record for most consecutive perfect innings. (He had a perfect game against Tampa 5 days earlier).

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Seen no-hitters, World Series games, playoff games in almost every sport, I've seen several pennants and cups won, but actually very few actual records:

I saw Ichiro break Sisler's hit record.

I saw Shaun Alexander score more touchdowns in a single half of football than any other player (and was so close to breaking Gayle Sayer's record that NFL film hastily set-up cameras all over the stadium to record it, if it happened).

I think I've seen franchise records for the Blue Jays, Seahawks and Mariners, (by various players and positions)...

...but that's really about it.

- Ricky Williams breaking the (then) NCAA rushing record against A&M.

- Emmitt Smith breaking the All-time NFL rushing mark

- The last game at Texas Stadium

- The first game at Cowboys Stadium (preseason and home opener)

- The Dallas Mavericks winning a game Five in the NBA finals :P

- Lenny Wilkens get his 800th coaching win (Magic @ Hawks)

That's all I got for now..

newsig.jpg

I attended the final Twins' night game at Met Stadium in 1981, and their first-ever game in the Metrodome the following season.

I also attended U of M football's first game in the Dome in 1982, and their basketball team's Big Ten-clinching game at Williams Arena the previous season.

In 1989 I attended the Lakers' first regular-season game in Minneapolis since they moved to LA, vs. the T'Wolves in the Dome (while Target Center was still under construction).

And as I've already mentioned before, I was about 20 feet away from Randy Moss when he pretended to moon the Lambeau crowd in the Jan. 2005 playoff game (but never saw it because of everyone in front of me getting up to leave, and didn't even find out about it until the following day).

The first Minnesota Swarm game I attended, in 2007, also happened to be the 1,000th regular-season game in National Lacrosse League history.

The following season, I saw Swarm goalie Nick Patterson set an NLL record (since broken, ironically, by another team against the Swarm) for longest shutout streak to start a game. He didn't yield a goal until about halfway through the third quarter.

Last but not least, later that season I witnessed Athan Iannucci of the Philadelphia Wings break the NLL record for most goals in a season. (That record still stands.)

CCSLC signature.png

Archived