NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Such an easy fix.

8003962525_a2f4afb702_b.jpg

When do you think we'll see those cool uniforms in the background - the ones that are half eagles / half cowboys? B)

But seriously, I like the short stripe on the Jets jersey, but on the colts, I much prefer the wrap-around. Maybe I like the Jets version because of the white sleeve, for some reason.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular opinion alert: I don't like the full wrap around UCLA stripes. Look at the Panthers. Sure. They pull it off, but how many players actually have the full effect on their jerseys? Certainly the minority of their team. It's one of the reasons I dislike the Panthers' "modern classic" uniforms. Inconsistency. That style of stripe breeds it on today's uniform cuts and there's no damn way you're convincing ANY player to wear longer sleeves just for the sake of aesthetics.

Solution? Either continue wearing abbreviated stripes (which I actually like) or get a different uniform (which is what the Panthers should've done this offseason).

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Unpopular opinion: I don't like the Jets' design because of the sleeve being the same color as the outer stripe. It makes it look like it's just a two-stripe design.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Unpopular opinion alert: I don't like the full wrap around UCLA stripes. Look at the Panthers. Sure. They pull it off, but how many players actually have the full effect on their jerseys? Certainly the minority of their team. It's one of the reasons I dislike the Panthers' "modern classic" uniforms. Inconsistency. That style of stripe breeds it on today's uniform cuts and there's no damn way you're convincing ANY player to wear longer sleeves just for the sake of aesthetics.

Solution? Either continue wearing abbreviated stripes (which I actually like) or get a different uniform (which is what the Panthers should've done this offseason).

First off, there is a difference between the garbage the Jets/Colts use and what the Panthers linemen wear. The Panthers' linemen have the stripes end natrually at the arm cuffs. The Jets and Colts have the stripes stop randomly for no reason. Very few posters would have problems with the Jets, Colts et al stripes not going all the way around if they still ended in a good manner, but what those teams have allowed for the past 8 years or so is ridiculous. Look at the last UCLA jersey set before the current horrid template - it looked incredible. Very few if any players had the stripes going all the way around, but the stripes still went down far enough around the arms to resemble what the stripes were supposed to look like.

Other than that, I disagree about the Panthers' set. I think it IS classic and I was relieved to find out that they didn't change the uniforms just for the sake of changing. The only change they need is to drop the "white at home" nonsense and feature their incredible black jersey seven times a year (wearing the blue once at home).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

What makes the Panthers uniforms such an untouchable classic exactly? Only that it hasn't been changed in 15 years? I Iike the color scheme, but the lack of harmony between the various design elements is embarrassing. The helmet, jersey, and pant stripes are all different from one another and in 2012, there's just no reason for that.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

What makes the Panthers uniforms such an untouchable classic exactly? Only that it hasn't been changed in 15 years?

That's not all of it, but it is part of it.

Many new teams unnecessarily try to change uniforms or just botch their first attempt. Unlike older teams newer teams don't have a lot of tradition tied up with their looks, so they figure they have room to take more risks or just completely re-brand if they want to. Just look at the Panthers' expansion cousins in Jacksonville for an example of this.

The Panthers though? They've kept what they started out in, more or less. It's so refreshing to see a modern team take their first look and say "we're going to make our own tradition" and actually mean it. They're not the Packers or Bears by any stretch of the imagination, but the Panthers have built up a nice little aesthetic tradition of their own. It would be a shame to lose that just so they can be the Seahawks South.

The helmet, jersey, and pant stripes are all different from one another and in 2012, there's just no reason for that.

You sure you're not thinking about the Seahawks? I've never thought the various elements of the Panthers' identity looked mismatched. They all seem to flow together.

The only change they need is to drop the "white at home" nonsense and feature their incredible black jersey seven times a year (wearing the blue once at home).

Because black in the North Carolina sun in September is a great idea.

Not any worse of an idea than black in Oakland during that period. And as has been shown time and time again, good teams have had no problem going to warm climates and winning despite having to wear dark jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Tubby34 said this in the 'Teams That Never Had a Bad Look' thread and I'll use it to conclude my opinion of the Panthers uniforms:

Longevity isn't the basis for a great identity. It's simply the hallmark of stubbornness. (...) but some people seem to confuse longevity with beauty.

Tubby34 said this in the 'Teams That Never Had a Bad Look' thread and I'll use it to conclude my opinion of the Panthers uniforms:

Longevity isn't the basis for a great identity. It's simply the hallmark of stubbornness. (...) but some people seem to confuse longevity with beauty.

Yeah like the Eagles uniforms. And a additional point to Tubby34's statement...just because you win championships in a uniform, it does not mean its a good looking uniform. I'm looking at you, New England.

Im not a fan of the panthers uniforms. They look dated and mismatched from player to player. Not to mention they probably have the ugliest helmet in the league.

They have a nice color scheme and I think they can get rid of silver and still have a nice set. They just need to simplify everything. Doesn't have to be groundbreaking just simple.

I like the logo update. Think it's a move in the right direction.

I'm sorry but is there any talk of them getting new uniforms or was this yr the yr?

Finally, someone who agrees with me on this.

The other side of that, though, is changing just for the sake of it. It's not being stubborn to say "we don't need to change, what we have works." That's just being smart. It would be counterproductive to throw away an established visual brand just you can chase the latest fleeting trend.

Nikes shown that they can do full shoulder loops on a modern template with lsu's pro combats. Like a lot of the uniforms complaints I think it ultimately comes down to the teams just not wanting or caring enough to change.

The cardinals and Vikings are basically colored where there could be loops if that makes sense.

Common misconception, but the LSU uniform did not have full shoulder loops. The armpit area underneath the stripes was colored solid purple. The splash of color under the armpit gave the illusion that the stripes continued all the way around the arm, but it was just that, an illusion. The shoulder stripes were probably longer than what we're used to seeing, but they were still just faux wrap around stripes.

Such an easy fix.

8003962525_a2f4afb702_b.jpg

It looks nice on paper, but there so much more that goes into this. It's one thing to do a digital fix, but it's entirely different when you have to make a pattern that must be stitched together and maintain that look. Will the seams in that configuration be able to create a comfortable silhouette for the player? Will there be an issue that the seams and stripes extend into the pectoral area or into the ribcage area? With jerseys getting smaller and tighter in general, what happens when you get a Danny Woodhead who needs an especially tiny jersey? The numbers on this mannequin are already very close to the stripes. That encroachment of the stripes onto the pectoral area might now interfere with and crowd the numbers on a smaller jersey. Your idea may very well work, but you really need more than just a Photoshop mockup to be sure. What looks like an 'easy fix' rarely is.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Couldn't Nike and the Jets just borrow the same uniform pattern the Rams use?

Sam-Bradford-2012-Season_photo_medium.jpg

Only if they used those material. But since the Colts, Jets, and Patriots (alternate) use spandex stripes instead of what the Rams, Panthers, Texans, and Patriots (home/away) use, it isn't as easy as that. Or they just like it they way it is and do not want to change.

The other side of that, though, is changing just for the sake of it. It's not being stubborn to say "we don't need to change, what we have works." That's just being smart. It would be counterproductive to throw away an established visual brand just you can chase the latest fleeting trend.

Well by that logic, why did they change their logo package in the first place? Were the previous logos not a well-enough established brand? If you're gonna change the visual representation of your organization with new logos and wordmarks, why wouldn't you also coordinate that brand change with new uniforms?

Well by that logic, why did they change their logo package in the first place? Were the previous logos not a well-enough established brand? If you're gonna change the visual representation of your organization with new logos and wordmarks, why wouldn't you also coordinate that brand change with new uniforms?

Because the new logo is not much of a change from the old one. It wasn't as much of a brand change, as it was a brand refinement. While I think it was a good idea for them to stand pat with their uniforms, I do feel like they could have made a few slight changes to the uniforms in order to make the whole set more cohesive.

jNTsTyQ.png

The only change they need is to drop the "white at home" nonsense and feature their incredible black jersey seven times a year (wearing the blue once at home).

Because black in the North Carolina sun in September is a great idea.

Not any worse of an idea than black in Oakland during that period. And as has been shown time and time again, good teams have had no problem going to warm climates and winning despite having to wear dark jerseys.

It is very different, weather-wise. Ever been to the Bay Area in Sept-Nov? It's not hot & humid like it is in the Carolinas.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived