NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

I was just thinking, with the Nike revelation 9 days away, how are we gonna stop the board from crashing? I remember that exact thing happening when the Marlins finally unveiled their duds. That was one team. We're talking about an entire league now.

One team whose logo was already leaked. I wonder how crazy it's going to be on here April 3.

Very. Very very crazy.

But if many of the teams aren't going to change much, this is going to be a lot like the Devils post-Edge: a lot of teams are just going to move their existing designs over to the new template with little fanfare. Thus, any discussion will be restricted to a small number of teams.

Yeah the general mood of this place on April 3/4 will be under welmed. Even the Broncos are essentially just swapping the navy and orange jerseys over. The Jaguars big change is next year. Really we'll be left with the Seahawks, maybe Panthers and maybe one team that are going to surprise everyone just for the heck of it. Though even that is doubtful. And even those changes will probably relatively minor.

orangepantscopy.jpg

I did that mock up years ago showing how the broncos would look in orange pants. I kind of like it, even though it isn't exactly balanced, it would balance the full time orange home jersey IMO.

I like the look of that more than I would have thought if you described it too me!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been a fan of orange pants, especially when the Browns wore them. But for some reason it doesn't look as good with Denver. I think I liked it better with Cleveland because they matched the helmet. Wish we would bring them back too!

I'm not sure why people are giving up on some noticable changes when Nike said specifically that they're going to respect tradition, but try to have a little fun. I'm expecting some tasteful but significant changes for some of the teams that have worn modern templates that don't serve up to tradition. Won't be surprised if Atlanta tweaks its jersey design to the slightest.

I'm not sure why people are giving up on some noticable changes when Nike said specifically that they're going to respect tradition, but try to have a little fun. I'm expecting some tasteful but significant changes for some of the teams that have worn modern templates that don't serve up to tradition. Won't be surprised if Atlanta tweaks its jersey design to the slightest.

Because uniform design isn't in the hands of Nike in the first instance. They are NFL held copyrights. Even Seattle and Carolina are unlikely to have big design changes. I think I am right in saying that Nike have also said their first uniform design change will be Jacksonville, next year.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't expect many (if any) overhauls at all. However, I do expect the total sum of Nike's changes (be they minor or major) to garner enough discussion and immediate reaction to crash this site. That's my concern.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Okay, but that doesn't mean teams can't agree to Nike's proposed tweaks.

Well the teams can't do much, in this field, without consulting the NFL. And if you've got that many large organisations trying to keep a secret, something usually comes out.

I think the suggestion that there might be some alternate changes is a possibility, on the basis that people don't really care too much about alternates, and they change often enough to mean people around the league and Nike wouldn't let slip about those.

But remember the NFL's 5 year rule still exists and that is a serious brake on most of these possibilities of change.

Though Chawls is probably right, we'll all find enough to discuss to overload the site!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Okay, but that doesn't mean teams can't agree to Nike's proposed tweaks.

Well the teams can't do much, in this field, without consulting the NFL. And if you've got that many large organisations trying to keep a secret, something usually comes out.

I think the suggestion that there might be some alternate changes is a possibility, on the basis that people don't really care too much about alternates, and they change often enough to mean people around the league and Nike wouldn't let slip about those.

But remember the NFL's 5 year rule still exists and that is a serious brake on most of these possibilities of change.

Though Chawls is probably right, we'll all find enough to discuss to overload the site!!!

The Jaguars are going to be breaking the 5 year rule next year with an all new set. The NFL either let it slide because Nike is taking over or because they have a new owner who was allowed to change. The Jaguars would have changed this year but it was too late in the process so Im not too sure about the 5 year rule anymore.

I completely agree. Atlanta is the one team I keep thinking about when I try to imagine who will change their jerseys. There are other candidates(AZ, MIN, CIN), but Atlanta sticks out in my mind. I can't really explain why.

I completely agree. Atlanta is the one team I keep thinking about when I try to imagine who will change their jerseys. There are other candidates(AZ, MIN, CIN), but Atlanta sticks out in my mind. I can't really explain why.

Weren't there some rumblings about a possible red helmet?

I really do hope Atlanta changes it up. We've looked terrible for about the last decade or so. And I can't help but feel teased every time we roll out the beautiful retro alternates. I modern interpretation of that look would be incredible. I'm ok if the current logo sticks for a new design, but I hope we drop those custom numbers. I was never a fan of those.

I have to think that all of the reebok redesigns were targeted for a complete revamp. a)they all include vertical side panels which don't fit with the newer nike templates. B) I'm sure nike would love to wipe out all instances of the reebok legacy (including the nfl equip shield)

I have to think that all of the reebok redesigns were targeted for a complete revamp. a)they all include vertical side panels which don't fit with the newer nike templates. B) I'm sure nike would love to wipe out all instances of the reebok legacy (including the nfl equip shield)

Not only do I think all the Rebook designs were highly targeted, there is an overwhelmingly large majority of them that also fit the bill for "eligibility" under the NFL 5 years rule. Teams like the Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals, Vikings, and possibly even the Chargers (depending how the timing works) fit the rule. I would not be surprised to see some slight tweaking and altering for some of those teams.

Let me try to help, Mike Vick?

The reasons the Black jerseys got shifted to 2nd and now gone was because Arthur Blank was so disgusted with that whole situation and wanted to try to move away from the image of the Mike Vick Falcons. I think it makes sense that if Nike gave him some tweaks that he would agree to them. Now I'd be shocked if they came out with an all new set, but I would be even more shocked if ATL didn't tweak them a little just because of Blank's want to get away from that look.

As for the Red lids thing, I think that was just something that happened on here. Somebody had it in a concept/mentioned it might look good and it kinda exploded with a few of us drooling over some photoshoped images of it.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Not only do I think all the Rebook designs were highly targeted, there is an overwhelmingly large majority of them that also fit the bill for "eligibility" under the NFL 5 years rule. Teams like the Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals, Vikings, and possibly even the Chargers (depending how the timing works) fit the rule. I would not be surprised to see some slight tweaking and altering for some of those teams.

I agree - we'll only see tweaks to fit the Nike templates this year with the exception of the Seahawks and the new logo (but not new uniform design) for the Panthers.

I suspect that Jacksonville is getting special dispensation from the 5-year rule because they are kind of having a "perfect storm" - new owner wanting to put their stamp on the team by emphasizing black (remember the NFL did let the Patriots make their 1993 change to silver/blue/Flying Elvis with less than the normally required notification with the new owner and new coaching staff/front office coming in that season) and a new supplier coming in and wanting to dump a design that probably doesn't fit well with their current templates without extensive adjustments. Even so we'll see something kind of stuck together for 2012 and not see the real overhaul until 2013.

I think the Reebok-era team designs (Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals, and Vikings) will get adjustments starting in 2014; maybe one will join the Jaguars for 2013.

I still have yet to see any hard evidence of this "5-year rule" i.e. quote or excerpt from the NFL rule book or league memorandum or something like that.

So are we sure this thing REALLY exisys, or is it more an urban myth fabricated over time?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I still have yet to see any hard evidence of this "5-year rule" i.e. quote or excerpt from the NFL rule book or league memorandum or something like that.

So are we sure this thing REALLY exisys, or is it more an urban myth fabricated over time?

We're sure that it existed, at least a couple years ago.

IIRC, Glazer explained it when the Bucs unveiled their throwbacks a couple years ago.

EDIT: Found it!

Now that it has officially gone through the process and had it approved by the league, Tampa Bay is required by the NFL to wear its throwback uniforms at least one time over the next five years.

"Yes, the NFL says that if you elect to change your uniform or wear a throwback, you have to wear them for five years," said (Bucs co-chairman Ed) Glazer. "You can wear them up to two regular season games and one preseason game. This year we are going to wear them for one regular season game, and next we will probably wear them for two. We'll see, but they will be here for at least five years."

As others have said, the rule may have been relaxed or repealed since 2009. The NFL tends to play its cards very close to the vest.

That Bears hat doesn't look too bad in this light.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived