Best NHL shoulder logos?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your own opinions. Some have been promoted to primary or alternate logos. Some are no longer used. Some are still around. I just find that they are often excellent logos that don't quite get the respect they deserve.

I'll keep mine to current:

57.gif

If we're going to sing the praises of this shoulder logo, let's use something that looks like the actual shoulder logo:

9fy12wi9aioaa119dzhpmucw7.gif

I don't know why or how that other version of the logo came to be, but it makes me cringe whenever I see it on merchandise. I refuse to buy anything with that logo on it, because it's so inaccurate.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to post. I don't understand why the sans serif C is still in usage when, as far as I can tell, the Blackhawks have never worn that particular shoulder patch without at least one serif.

330zl3b.png

Also....

johnny%20canuck%20logo.jpg

Just realized they don't even use this on the shoulders on the primaries. For shame, Vancouver.

Forget the shoulders, this should be the primary. Represents the city and namesake perfectly. Boggles my mind how people on these boards can say it's a bad logo.

Also....

Just realized they don't even use this on the shoulders on the primaries. For shame, Vancouver.

Forget the shoulders, this should be the primary. Represents the city and namesake perfectly. Boggles my mind how people on these boards can say it's a bad logo.

I'd like it more if his head were rendered in 3/4 so we got the impression that the V was his collar. It sorta looks like scissors severing his head. I can't get past that.

As it is, I prefer the skating Johnny. I wish that was the Canucks primary.

PvO6ZWJ.png

148.gif

Eh, I dig it. Loved the whole Lady Liberty set, even if it was considered sacrilege by a fair chunk of Blueshirt Nation.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Also....

Johnny's head is randomly slapped on top of a generic V. You are certainly entitled to your own opinions, but from a design standpoint, that is a bad logo. I personally feel that adding the severed head of Johnny Canuck to the letter V will not make a good logo regardless of the execution, but they could have at least connected the two better. Right now it is really just his head on a V.

It's not a generic V. It's rather stout, and has rounded corners. Besides, how much do you want to do with a V, anyway? It's a V.

That should be their primary, with the interlocking VCs on the shoulders. Beats the hell out of their 2000s logo recolored to match their 1970s sweaters but not actually matching and then slapping "VANCOUVER" above it. Should've left that whole prior package in the dumpster; it was bland and awful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not a generic V. It's rather stout, and has rounded corners. Besides, how much do you want to do with a V, anyway? It's a V.

That should be their primary, with the interlocking VCs on the shoulders. Beats the hell out of their 2000s logo recolored to match their 1970s sweaters but not actually matching and then slapping "VANCOUVER" above it. Should've left that whole prior package in the dumpster; it was bland and awful.

I guess I meant generic in the sense that it is random and has nothing to do with their history/previous identities. It matches the stick-in-rink logo well, but this was the first time the letter V had been used. Perhaps random is a better word.

Also....

Johnny's head is randomly slapped on top of a generic V. You are certainly entitled to your own opinions, but from a design standpoint, that is a bad logo. I personally feel that adding the severed head of Johnny Canuck to the letter V will not make a good logo regardless of the execution, but they could have at least connected the two better. Right now it is really just his head on a V.

It's basically a half-assed logo. There is no creativity in the logo itself. Slap Johnny Canuck's head on a V that on the inside has sharp edges while the outside has rounded corners. Yeah, that's basically a bad logo that if the art director had any design sense would've thrown it back at the guy who suggested it and yell at him, "Get that **** out of my face and stop wasting my time!"

Who says the logo has to be anatomically correct? It's a symbol. Is the Buffalo Sabres original logo, one that receives near universal praise on these boards, anatomically correct? No. It features a Buffalo randomly floating above two oversized swords that look seconds away from slicing it in half. It gets a pass because it symbolically represents the city and namesake. The Johnny Canuck V does the same.

It's basically a half-assed logo. There is no creativity in the logo itself. Slap Johnny Canuck's head on a V that on the inside has sharp edges while the outside has rounded corners. Yeah, that's basically a bad logo that if the art director had any design sense would've thrown it back at the guy who suggested it and yell at him, "Get that **** out of my face and stop wasting my time!"

If that were true, said art director would probably vomit at the sight of the logo adorning the jersey on your avatar... and sig.

103049.gif

:wub:

I bought an original Blue Jackets jersey just because it had this logo on the shoulders. I also have a practice jersey with it as the main crest.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I guess I meant generic in the sense that it is random and has nothing to do with their history/previous identities. It matches the stick-in-rink logo well, but this was the first time the letter V had been used. Perhaps random is a better word.

Vancouver professional hockey has a pretty good track record when it comes to using a V as a design element.

The 40th Anniversary alternates the Canucks wore last season, based on their 1970-72 sweaters, integrated Vs into the sleeve striping.

Canucks-40th-Anniversary-Jersey.png

Of course there's the famous "Flying V" sweaters.

images-4.jpg

While not the Canucks, Vancouver's other professional hockey club, the Millionaires, wore a V logo, as seen on this Vancouver Giants throwback.

_C4G5144.jpg

So the Canucks wearing the V/Johnny Canuck head logo as the primary wouldn't be out of place when viewed in context.

I like the V/Johnny Canuck head because I like Johnny Canuck. The stick in rink is just a stick in a rink. The orca whale is just an orca. Sure it's a decent attempt to reflect native art styles, but it fails to communicate the team's nickname. Besides, it only exists because the team used to be owned by a group called Orca Bay. Johnny Canuck, however, just works with the team's name. That being said, the full body skating version kind of seems a little to unwieldy as a sweater crest. The V/head logo retains Johnny but uses him in a more manageable way, while also using the V to tie in with Vancouver's own hockey history as well as continuing in the strong aesthetic tradition of using location initials as team identifies.

Vancouver professional hockey has a pretty good track record when it comes to using a V as a design element.

The 40th Anniversary alternates the Canucks wore last season, based on their 1970-72 sweaters, integrated Vs into the sleeve striping.

Canucks-40th-Anniversary-Jersey.png

Of course there's the famous "Flying V" sweaters.

images-4.jpg

While not the Canucks, Vancouver's other professional hockey club, the Millionaires, wore a V logo, as seen on this Vancouver Giants throwback.

_C4G5144.jpg

So the Canucks wearing the V/Johnny Canuck head logo as the primary wouldn't be out of place when viewed in context.

I like the V/Johnny Canuck head because I like Johnny Canuck. The stick in rink is just a stick in a rink. The orca whale is just an orca. Sure it's a decent attempt to reflect native art styles, but it fails to communicate the team's nickname. Besides, it only exists because the team used to be owned by a group called Orca Bay. Johnny Canuck, however, just works with the team's name. That being said, the full body skating version kind of seems a little to unwieldy as a sweater crest. The V/head logo retains Johnny but uses him in a more manageable way, while also using the V to tie in with Vancouver's own hockey history as well as continuing in the strong aesthetic tradition of using location initials as team identifies.

Yes, this is all true. What I was thinking was strictly as a logo, the V had not been used. Whereas the Johnny Canuck logo has been modernized from an older version.

Again, my biggest problem with the logo is from a design standpoint. The head is simply slapped awkwardly onto the V.

Also....

I agree with this. I cannot understand the thought process behind the rounded corners, and a face with a sharp-squared beard and a nose that curves up like that. It's kind of like the buffaslug of people. Not a horrible concept, but really executed poorly. So poorly I can't believe it's part of a major league team's design package.

Who says the logo has to be anatomically correct? It's a symbol. Is the Buffalo Sabres original logo, one that receives near universal praise on these boards, anatomically correct? No. It features a Buffalo randomly floating above two oversized swords that look seconds away from slicing it in half. It gets a pass because it symbolically represents the city and namesake. The Johnny Canuck V does the same.

If that were true, said art director would probably vomit at the sight of the logo adorning the jersey on your avatar... and sig.

What does one have to do with the other? Being a fan of a team doesn't mean that you think they're logo or uniforms are the best - at least not if you're an adult. Why do people get all butthurt and take it personally when we, on a logos forum, happen to criticize logos of teams that they just happen to be a fan of?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

mjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc.gif

By far better than the fisherman, and waaaaaaaaaaay better than the awful primary they've used their whole history.

103049.gif

I always loved the splash of color that Stinger brought to the package.

xseet9j0r9a8xkpp4g8e4z44n.gif

I still mourn the loss of the hat I had with this logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived