NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Lightning ever thought it was a good idea to have two medium/dark colors mesh together, the least they could've done was use the original Hawaiian blue, which provides far more contrast than that dark royal they've used the past decade or so.

Hell, this is where even they're pre-EDGE set falls short, but even so there was a more traditional pattern and a good deal of white to make them tolerable. A tweaked version of those, with a blue alternate to pair with it, would likely be the best thing the franchise would ever wear.

spacer.png

Martin-St.-Louis.jpg

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about this set. How many jerseys are there where the numbers are more complex than the crest? Three layer numbers and a logo that essentially is one layer tackle twill. I never thought I'd say this, but it needs to be simpler. Either plain white numbers to match the crest, or put some detail in the crest to be more like the numbers.

Martin-St.-Louis.jpg

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about this set. How many jerseys are there where the numbers are more complex than the crest? Three layer numbers and a logo that essentially is one layer tackle twill. I never thought I'd say this, but it needs to be simpler. Either plain white numbers to match the crest, or put some detail in the crest to be more like the numbers.

Originally they were, but were waaaaaay too Maple Leafy.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Martin-St.-Louis.jpg

Originally they were, but were waaaaaay too Maple Leafy.

Yeah, the thin black outline in the numbers really side-stepped that land mine.

spacer.png

All the Lightning have to do is add some black and maybe a touch of silver (like they used to have) and their current jerseys COULD be some of the best in the league. I'm serious.. they have a good template and I'm okay with the logo, its just that it looks too flat and unoriginal as just a two colour jersey.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Even with the black additions they still look like the Maple Leafs. It's even the same shade of blue. Watch a Leafs/Lightning game. It looks like a Leafs inter-squad scrimmage. Hopefully the rumours of continued tweaking hold true and we get more black integrated into the sweater striping to help the Lightning stand out a bit more.

Thing is, I dislike the new look even if you remove the "they copied my favourite team's look due to the ownership's arrogance" factor. I understand the desire to go with a simple, iconic logo. Something that doesn't look dated, something that can survive for years. I get the direction they were going with the logo. I just think they failed. The perspective is off, it looks warped, or stretched. A simple circle/lightning bolt design would have nailed the iconic look they were going for. Instead it looks like a clip art logo trying to be iconic.

The current look can be salvaged. Some black pants and helmets, some black striping added, it can be done. Heck, even through in the Victory Stripes since the team's faithful love the idea so much. The Lightning can nail the "classic" look, they just won't nail the "one colour and white" classic look. Which is fine, because most of the real classic NHL looks use more then one colour and white. I have a concept to work on....

tampa-bay-lightning-ciccarelli-lecavalier.jpg

Count me in the camp of those who LOVED the original blue jerseys.

Most see a mess, which is true. But I loved the fact that it imitated a lightning storm on the open seas. If nothing else, it played directly into their theme.

I too was a big fan of that jersey. Sure it was a bit hokey but thats how an alternate for a 90's expansion franchise should look. You never see anything creative these days *sigh*

martin-st-louis.jpgdave_andreychuk_photofile.jpg

Filler tool uniforms perhaps but no doubt portrayed the black, blue, and silver color scheme better than anything else they've had. If they want a brand identity that is easily identifiable and will last, this is the set they should draw inspiration from. They could make the stripes zigzag if they want to push the lightning theme, and bring back the shadow effect on the crest to further set themselves apart and establish a solid look without going overboard.

Midway.png

I totally disagree. The thing that was so beautiful about the North Stars' uniforms was their kelly green and gold. The added black to their whites in '81 and to their greens in '88 had ruined what was a nice clean and distinctive look. It eventually led to the ugly generic black uniforms during the Norm "Greed" ownership. Same thing with the Flames. I HOPE they go retro full-time. Enough with the BFBS. I wouldn't mind the Flames' '04 look as a third, though. I remember when the North Stars played the Flames in the '81 semis: green, white, and gold vs red, white, and gold. Great uniform matchup as well as the players who wore them. However, hockey needs more vivid colour and more simplicity in their teams' uniforms. Leave red uniforms with black to only the Blackhawks and Hurricanes.

I think they nailed it with the primary logo (Edge) because it was a lot "fiercer" than the old ones. However, the jerseys were a fill-tool mess, and of course had those horrible front numbers. Put the Edge logo on the Cup jerseys and you've got a tremendous set.

For the Flames, if they went North Stars, I'd be happy. I think habsfan1's concept is great, but if they added black to contrast their bold 80s colours in the same way the North Stars did, it's look good (because a lot of people seem to think they'd be too garish/bright full-time).

NorthStars17.png

I totally disagree. The thing that was so beautiful about the North Stars' uniforms was their kelly green and gold. The added black to their whites in '81 and to their greens in '88 had ruined what was a nice clean and distinctive look. It eventually led to the ugly generic black uniforms during the Norm "Greed" ownership. Same thing with the Flames. I HOPE they go retro full-time. Enough with the BFBS. I wouldn't mind the Flames' '04 look as a third, though. I remember when the North Stars played the Flames in the '81 semis: green, white, and gold vs red, white, and gold. Great uniform matchup as well as the players who wore them. However, hockey needs more vivid colour and more simplicity in their teams' uniforms. Leave red uniforms with black to only the Blackhawks and Hurricanes.

Just use the old blue, the Edge logo, add some more white to contrast the black and blue, and you're good. They've had all the parts of a good identity, just all at different times.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Apologize for the double post. Deleting a repeated post unavailable. Sorry folks!

If the Lightning took the BOLTS uni, got rid of the dumb Edge piping and BOLTS wordmark, put their primary logo on the front, and changed the blue panel on the shorts to black, they'd look great. At the very least, they'd look a lot more interesting than they do now.

330zl3b.png

Archived